Coming Out Of The Shadows - ((Silver-Shadow)) Mods begin

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Coming Out Of The Shadows - ((Silver-Shadow)) Mods begin

Post by Silver-Shadow » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:09 am

Name: ((Silver-Shadow))
Owner: Dennis
Lineage: 2005 PS2 Silver SXT Dodge Neon
Miles: 96500 mi
Price: 3800.00

OK, here goes. The last American Car I had was my '67 Ford Farlane 500, beige with the 302 engine and red pinstripe. I was 15 and worked all summer at KFC to buy her. She was great. Since then I moved on to owning BMW's for the last 20 years. Most recently a 2007 e60 (530i Sport) and my girl "BlueMajik" a 2001 e39 M5 Lemans Blue and 400 hp.

I moved up north from Socal for work and had been using the M5 as my daily driver. This was not the best plan since bluemajik had been my MFest car. So I decided to take her back to Socal and the garage and get a daily up here in the great northwest. I had looked for a Chevy Cavalier since that's the car I use at work. I also looked for a Geo Prism. Now I chose these cars because they have the Toyota engine just rebranded by NUMMI in Fremont. Well in this economy many folks are not getting rid of their used cars so it was very difficult to find a good cheap sample toyota in the Bay Area. Even the 1997's were fetching about 3999.00 or 4999. 00. So I read up on the Dodge Neon and was hooked. I do have a connection to the car as well. I went to the same engineering school as the original designer of the Neon at NCA&T University. So maybe it was destiny.

Well on to the Mods. I have modded my bmw's so I know how intoxicating it can be. So I said I would do a few tasteful mods to the SXT and enjoy driving her. I looked on Craigslist for over 2 months until I found a good sample. I had to go all the way to Sonoma County to find ((Silver-Shadow)).

Well I'll share more as we go along. I just love driving the car. It's not as heavy as the BMW and I feel like I am getting to know it all the time. The e39 can be a bit impersonal.

So I have been trolling around the boards and have an idea what I am hoping to achieve. I would love a 2.4 swap in the future but not in the cards right now. So I really like OB's clean SXT. Color is another story.

Thanks to iThane, a23dranger, and 03SXTGuy who I either bought something from or just asked some questions.

First mod : Door Guard Removal

I know this is a basic mod but it is my first one. Here are a couple of pixs of the process and we'll move on.

Beginning to pull the guard back (may be scary for newbies)

More pulling but came right off

Easy peezzy

I only used a library card and will post the results later. It got dark and by the time I got my goo begone it was pitch black here in San Jose. I experienced no paint bubbles or scratches. Just took my time. I had the day off.

I was at the junkyard and picked up a few items hehe. :) stay tuned. I also have quite a few items coming from a few friends on the forum.
PS2 SXT - New baby
08 530i e60 M5 Kit - Sold
E39 M5 - BlueMajik (Safely tucked away in the garage)
E39 528i - Sold at 167k miles
Yellow '77 Plymouth Volare (RIP)
skypeme: dtvarnum
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #?

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:23 am

Glad you figured out how to start your progress thread :thumbup:

Great start so far, those moldings are so tacky...
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

Midnight_Rider
2014 Platinum Contributor

Post by Midnight_Rider » Wed Jan 04, 2012 3:40 am

Hope that you don't have any problems with paint fade due to CA sun.
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:22 am

Midnight_Rider wrote:Hope that you don't have any problems with paint fade due to CA sun.
Should be ok, plus I am getting a small respray (same color) to tidy up some paint chips on the left side of car. Oh, how do I ad this to the "garage" section with the nice list of all the things I'll do to the car. May as well start with this one?
PS2 SXT - New baby

z3roneo
2GN Member

Post by z3roneo » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:32 pm

Let the fun begin.. :lol:
2000 2.4L Turbocharged Neon (The Monster)
2005 5.7L Hemi Jeep Grand Cherokee (SRT8 Clone)

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:31 pm

Glad to see you finally starting a project thread. Let's see what you can make out of this car!

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 am

Well I had a few adventures over the past two days. I haven't had time to clean the adhesive off ((Silver0Shadow). Every time I get get off work it gets dark and I can't see anything. I didn't want to wait until the weekend but I may have to. I want that goo off. I don't have an enclosed garage (or any garage) up here in Norcal. My boogers came in the mail today. I am still waiting on the johnny mopar bushings and I'll pull off the shifter to see what' going on down there.

I am still waiting on my R/T skirts. They should be here soon :D

I was able to score these last night. Had to drive all the way to Sacramento for them.

((Silver-Shadow)) is just waiting to get new shoes.

definitely keeping this badge.

I met a really nice guy who sold me the single rim with no tires. He has a black neon with a SRT4 swap. It is an ls or es I think. It sounded great too. He said he has an srt4 exhaust in there. It wasn't as loud as they say. Think he said he was on the forum as magic123? Oh well name is T. Dinus.

Well hopefully Friday I can get tires and put them on the car. Looking to get some 205/45/17.
PS2 SXT - New baby

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:05 pm

Well, I had the new wheels and tires put on the car today. I couldn't wait to see what it looked like. I also did one side of the car, removing the adhesive left over from taking off the door guards. I have to do the other side tomorrow morning before I hit the junk yard.

Tomorrow I'll be replacing the dash top. Putting on the booger bushings and trying to setup the sat radio receiver. I don't won' t to use the fm radio but have it go direct. Got to figure that one out. It was pitch black out so I'll have to use all my daylight tomorrow.
PS2 SXT - New baby

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:28 am

IMO, you should've lowered the car first before rims. Bigger rims makes the car seem even higher. lol.

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:39 am

Tam wrote:IMO, you should've lowered the car first before rims. Bigger rims makes the car seem even higher. lol.
Thanks still trying to figure out how am going to lower the car. I like your rear bumber setup. I am trying to go for one similar. you know I saw some bumpers at the junk yard that didn't have the two boob bumps on them. They don't have cutouts for dual but I think that's an easy fix.

I see you stayed with the smaller rim and a 205/50 tire. Looks good.
PS2 SXT - New baby

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:13 pm

Yeah I used to have 17"s but I started to dislike them because they're too big for a little neon. 16"s look way better to me. Well if you saw boob-less bumpers, that can only mean it's a 00-02 or an SRT bumper. You should've jumped on it. lol.

My rear set up is pretty much an 00-02 bumper with the 03+ mopar lip installed on it, with an R/T stock exhaust. I used to have a loud exhaust but it got annoying after a while so I went back to stock and its peaceful and quiet now, just how I like it.

dtjackten
2GN Member

Post by dtjackten » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:02 pm

getting rid of the moldings always help on these cars. wheels look good, deffenetly should look into a lowering spring/ coil over.

Tams rear bumper does look good, and different. heat gun ftw!

good luck on the mods. :thumbup:
304whp and 285 ft lbs.... 15psi.
*on the way to 400whp*
dave

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:05 pm

Another day at the junk yard didn't yield me the dash top I need. What I found was that people that go to the junk yard don't know how to take stuff off a car without destroying it and everything around the item they want. The dash top simply pops off the dash in the Neon. The two screws near the window has two screws. They are actually recessed into the metal part quite nicely. However when someone tries to pull out the top, the plastic part where the screw goes is popped out and no way to seat the screw. Well I found a couple of good dash tops but either the sides or the screw holes in the top were broken off. So I'll have to find a better sample.

I did pickup a 6 disk cd changer. Wonder if this will work in the SXT?

So after a morning at the Junk yard I went to work on my boogers. Wow this took a bit more time than expected because I had to remove so much just to get to the bushing cables on the tranny.

Here you can see I had to remove airbox and battery and battery stand.

Here are the cables with the worn bushings.

What is this cable?

This piece I broke right when I was putting everything back together.

I thought the cable was flexible but I guess it wasn't

Didn't know if I could drive the car after this. What a mess

New shoes for Silver-Shadow, I like them.

Also notice the door guards are gone.

I feel like Michael Jordan with all this height. Help me get down to earth.

Once the transmission boogers were installed I immediately noticed a huge difference. There was very little play in the shifter. I wasn't able to install the shifter bushings but will do that tomorrow. I'll also install the johnny mopar bushings too. Wow my shifter should be as tight as my bmw after all the bushings are installed. Well I may try a junk yard in Stockton or San Francisco tomorrow. I don't have pics of the cd changer but wonder if anyone has installed it in their Neons.
PS2 SXT - New baby

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:59 am

I finished installing the JMP bushings and the boogers on the shifter. Now the shifter has literally no play. The shifter doesn't "pop" back to neutral like it used to though. Hope I didn't do something to the spring. Well it's workable now. Plus I am on the hunt for a STS. The boogers were kinda tough to get out because my bushings were not destroyed or worn at the shifter. Actually they were in good shape. I saved them.

Well I am still looking for a good dash top sample that doesn't have the screw clips all broken from the junk yard. I got my injector cover in the mail today so will be painting and installing that this week. I am really looking for the SRT front fascia.
PS2 SXT - New baby

Hudson_Neon
2GN Member

Post by Hudson_Neon » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:32 am

you're fine with it being a little tougher to get back into neutral. that happens to everybody. it just doesn't feel quite as smooth because there's no play in he linkage now. now you're actually feeling it move in and out of gears

contagious18
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by contagious18 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:09 pm

Check out the pick n pull in Stockton and you might find what you need. I'm going back but not toll two weeks. BTW log is coming out great. Keep it up
Antagonist crew| Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000031
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569968
http://contagious209.mybrute.com

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:23 pm

Well, I have been busy with my anniversary and my wife's birthday 1/19. well we are planning a trip to Tahoe and I will be taking Silver-Shadow. I may have to get some chains though. Might be snow there.

I am down in Socal and trolling through CL and found a SRT4 hood PS2 and some motor mounts (the good kind). I also came across this guy who had an ad for an srt4 bumper fascia. Yeah I almost did. I called him and he said he indeed had one. I had an appointment on Monday so I told him I could come bay anytime before that. He stood me up twice. So last night I left him a message and said if you still have the bumper let me know. I thought it was another scam and this guy didn't have the bumper. Well today while I was at the doctor he calls and says he still has it. I got out of my appointment at 11am and so I shot out to East LA. Well this young man lived in an area called City Terrace. It butts right up to East Los. Needless to say I drive up and see a white srt4 in the back driveway and and SXT. So I get out and thinking I am going to get the white bumper but he opens up his garage and there sits a black SRT4 bumper ready for the taking. He says he also has the srt4 exhaust too. Well I dish out the 200.00 bones and haul ass out of there before he changes his mind. Check it out. Have a few imperfections but it will be painted PS2 Silver by my painter.

The back side of the bumper

I hope this part can be fixed?

Cross piece damage

With the foldup mirrors coming this week and the RT side skirts (I am really feeling the srt4 side skirt and door caps though, resale may be coming ).

One of the things I am thinking about that may be different is the gray car with the Black SRT4 hood and the middle part of srt4 bumper blacked out. How do you think that will look?
PS2 SXT - New baby

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:38 pm

Those cracks are fixable, as my old bumper had them. That being said, $200 seems awefully steep for a beat bumper :/

Also, personal preference, but I prefer things either colormatched, or just one panel of CF (ie just the hood, just the roof, etc. . . )

I think all colormatched with a black roof is fucking classy.
el. oh. el.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:17 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:Those cracks are fixable, as my old bumper had them. That being said, $200 seems awfully steep for a beat bumper :/
Before I got a "real SRT-4" I tried to find an SRT-4 bumper for my SXT ... they're hard to find & co$tly, plus the freight convinced me to "pass" ... good luck with the repairs :)
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

Tam
2GN Member

Post by Tam » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:42 pm

Yeah, I think I'd spend $200 on that bumper too even with its conditions. They're just so dang hard to find nowadays.

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:43 pm

I have been looking for an SRT4 bumper for a while now. Along with the SRT4 side skirts and door caps. These items are very costly now (if you have them for less please pm me) and in short supply. On eBay I have seen them (bumpers) for no less than 400.00. I ran across the rear bumper for 179.00 and slept on it when I tried to bargain for 150.00. It was gone in a matter of minutes. I was lucky on this one. The guy had another srt and an sxt plus he was nice. I am trying to go for a different look than the srt4 copy look. I like the sleak lines of the bumper. It reminds me of my M5 bumper a bit. I have quite a bit to do to the car but will go slow as I was really heavy into the mod scene with my 530i and M car. I am not going that route at this time but do feel a special fondness for the Dodge Neon. I probably could have talked him down a bit but he has some other stuff I want too. Next week I'll have the bumper painted and repaired and put on the car hopefully by next weekend.
PS2 SXT - New baby

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:53 pm

Oh well pardon me for not being from LA or CA where shit is "scarce." $200 is too much for a beat POS that you gotta to fix and repaint. I've paid significantly less for shit in better shape and already in my color :shrugs:
el. oh. el.

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:10 pm

:twisted: I wish I lived in rural Indiana :rofl:
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:08 am

And I'm glad you don't.
el. oh. el.

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:40 pm

Well the hunt continues down here in Socal before I have to come back home to Bay Area. I picked up this today.

Those smudges are just that, Will let the painter clean it up good. I could've gotten a carbon fiber one but want to go the clean PS2 route. This young man wrecked his SRT4 and sold the whole car save for the hood. Got it real cheap too. Had to go out to Laguna near the Golf Course to pick it up. Lucky guy lived right on the fairway.

I haven't been able to go to any junk yards this week 'cause been at the doctor everyday. Nothing to bad. Wife is flying back up to Bay area with me for B-day so will not be able to do much til next week. Hope to get the car into the painters beginning of next week.
PS2 SXT - New baby

NonBusto27
2GN Member

Post by NonBusto27 » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Nice score on the hood. I am leaning more to go that route even though i have a carbon fiber one.
I'm not a doctor I just google it!

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member # 111!

alsey_seven
2GN Member

Post by alsey_seven » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:01 pm

yo Dennis you going up next month?
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000043 For 2000 neon

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000125 For 2001 R/T

speed127
2011 Gold Contributor

Post by speed127 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:12 am

Really looking good. Nice to see the car coming along so quickly. If you do decide you want the SRT4 side skirts and door pieces let me know.. I might be willing to just do a straight up trade for your R/T ones.
- Custom or Nuthin -
-My SRT4 swap project log-
viewtopic.php?p=923967#923967
-My 2nd gen progress log-
viewtopic.php?t=52665&highlight=
-My 1st gen project log-
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f ... 7#p3090897

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:22 am

Wow....you move fast! Reminds me of when I first got my SXT. :) The Neon shouldn't wear chains, ever, for snow due to the suspension setup. They're actually awesome in the snow.

Silver-Shadow
2GN Member

Post by Silver-Shadow » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:34 am

Well, guess what came in the mail;

I hope these fit my 05' sxt. I love the folding mirrors. Got them really cheap so will see how/if they work.
PS2 SXT - New baby

Return to “Progress/Project Log”