supertrick's '01 Dodge Neon R/T *ordering parts for rebuild*

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
supertrick_05
2GN Member

supertrick's '01 Dodge Neon R/T *ordering parts for rebuild*

Post by supertrick_05 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 11:15 pm

Hey there guys/gals, I figured since I started buying parts, I should make a restoration/build thread and hope someday this car will be better than it's former glory.

Anyways, I'll start by posting a few pics of the new whip:

Exterior:

Interior (yeah, the bumper/tails/wheel are all out):

Engine:

Cracked windshield

Busted bumper (easy fix)

Grille that won't stay put

PTGT wheels
Before
After (still not done, but looks much better)

Ok, and today I got the KYB Excel-G struts ordered, as well as H&R Sport springs and a complete tie rod set. I'll probably order the master bushings kit by Energy Suspension before I go to bed tonight. Anyways, that's all for now. Wednesday the car goes in for an entire car inspection, so we'll see how that goes. Till next time, thanks for looking and I'm glad to be back!
Last edited by supertrick_05 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
-Brodie
2002 Dodge Neon ACR - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

sxxxt
2GN Member

Post by sxxxt » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:17 pm

Sweet one of my fav progress logs come back with a fresh start

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Unfortunately, my co-worker found out some stuff on the car that I didn't...some structural damage that wasn't fixed very well and would end up costing me more money than I want to spend. Derek has agreed to buy the car back from me (I don't think he wanted to sell it in the first place to be honest) and there's no hard feelings. It's a great car for someone who has the skills and know-how to fix it up. I'm just not that talented. I can tastefully mod things...no doubt...I'm just not cut out to fix her up like it deserves to be.

Soooo...for those of you who would like me to remain in the Neon family, keep an eye out for an '01-02 Neon R/T in black. No other years, no other colors. I want it to be mostly if not all stock. I'm hoping I can find something soon. There is an ACR in Minneapolis for $2400, but it has a big dent in the driver's side rear fender and no A/C. I can't have a car without A/C. That car was strictly made for racing...not a daily driver. I'll have to search a little more and see what I can find. I may have to travel as well to get what I want. The search is on...
-Brodie
2002 Dodge Neon ACR - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

heyybaker
2GN Member

Post by heyybaker » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:27 pm

Nice R/T :) Keep up the good work!
2001 NEON R/T
Project Polish -- INCOMPLETE

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:24 pm

That's sad to hear man, and I was looking foreward to this build, I'll keep an eye out for you
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:26 pm

heyybaker wrote:Nice R/T :) Keep up the good work!
You must not have read the thread.

:thumbup:
-John

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:45 pm

Ok...I guess things changed. Derek is sending the title and some extra $$$ so he doesn't have to have it in his yard anymore. I'm okay with that. So project is back on...sorta. I just want to get it driving good...pay off some debt...then I can play with the car a lil bit.
-Brodie

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:40 pm

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand we're back. So I drove the car down to my dad's friend's place and put it on the lift so I could inspect the bottom of the car. For a MN car with almost 200K miles, I'd say it's pretty effin' clean! The only trouble rust issue I found was on the rear bar on the subframe, which I heard is common. I don't think it's to the point where it's going to fold in half or fall apart, but I'm not an expert on this matter. What do you guys think? Other than that, it's just normal surface rust on the front/rear suspension components.

When I got back from Willow River, I went straight to Firestone and had them put on a set of 205/50/16 Firestone Firehawk WideOvals on the car...OMG I can't believe how wonderful the car drives now! Those Nittos on the car before were trash (being very low tread)...the car does not shake at all! Only gripe is that they put the front dr. side and rear pass. side wheels the wrong way so the tread is running opposite direction. I'll have to go there tomorrow and have them swap 'em over. For $525 mounted/balanced and road hazzard, can't beat that!

I also picked up an aftermarket head unit to power the already-installed Infinity Reference speakers all around, since the car still has the OEM head unit. Shit's fully loaded with bluetooth and everything for $200! And Pioneer is actually finally making some great quality stuff.

And a few months ago I bought a Neon shifter from Archer Racing that they took out of an SRT-4 just to mock-up shift boots with. I've never seen one with set screws near the base...strange. Anybody know what it's from and if it's stock or aftermarket?

And before I went into the house for the night, I snapped a cool picture of the R/T with my phone after I climbed up on the 'Nasty :)
-Brodie

wickedgood4684
2GN Member

Post by wickedgood4684 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:54 am

It looks like you could loosen those screws and drop the shifter down to that groove above and vice versa
SRT-4 Challenge series
Season 1 Champion: gotheframe/tim and corey
Season 2 Champion: Greasydeuce/Dmonday
NTCC
Winter Series:
Drivers Chamion: Neon Nick/Squat BIG
Team Champions: Team Acura: miniMench & wicked221
Rookie of the year: Patriot 01/xxPATRIOT 01xx

smallblockfreak
2GN Member

Post by smallblockfreak » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:38 am

That's not bad at all buy a new sub frame and you'll be set. Try buying a neon in ny you would prolly cry seeing the rust.

JeffB#2
2GN Member

Post by JeffB#2 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:21 am

That k-frame issue is already a big problem in the salt areas of the country. I'd try to find a better one and replace it, it will only get worse.
BoogerMan
'95 Ply NYG ACR sedan 12.31 @ 111 all motor 2.4 swap - puked
'95 Ply NYG Sport Coupe 2.4 SOHC. Yes, 2.4 single cam.
'01 ACR Stone White
www.boogerbushings.com

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:23 pm

Yeah i'll work on the subframe in the winter. I wont be driving it in the winter so that'll be my project when snow starts flying. I wont be driving the car much until I can get the suspension components installed.
-Brodie

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:48 pm

Well parts started rolling in today...

Can you guess what these are? C'mon...take a wild guess...

YUP! H&R Sport springs!

Also got the tie rods in as well

Now I gotta order some more suspension stuff and start getting to work on the car.
-Brodie

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:58 pm

Man...I dropped $206 on suspension shit just now...consisting of both loaded LCA's, front strut mounts and spring insulators, rear spring isolators, and a 2001 Dodge Neon brochure :) Tomorrow I will hopefully hear from Just Suspension about the free shipping that they didn't apply with the set of front/rear KYB Excel-G struts (they said free shipping with orders over $100...my order is $239). Then when they fix that, I'll order my struts. I also gotta get my windshield replaced and get a new header-back exhaust (cat is most likely clogged...haven't checked it yet). After that, I'm just going to drive the car until my debts are all paid, then I'll have my fun with this car!
-Brodie

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:35 pm

I also just bought a brand new still-sealed 2001 Neon owners manual with case, and a 4-book set of 2001 Neon shop manuals...fuck Chiltons! :)
-Brodie

illestskittle
n00b

Post by illestskittle » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:37 pm

Good to see that old car getting some love! :rockon:
2004 Dodge SRT-4
For my project log, >> Click Here <<

NyNeon0813
2GN Member

Post by NyNeon0813 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:46 pm

I'm interested on how the ride is going to b with the kyb's and h&r. I'm on a nvr ending search for a good/cheap suspension setup..

Builds is looking good. Keep it up

'01 PEON - '01 R/T head swap.. Bolt ons & ksports

***tUrBo CoMiNg SoOn***

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:43 am

Thanks guys! I also just ordered my exhaust set-up as well...a new catalytic converter, a 30" length 2.5" ID/OD Magnaflow glasspack, and (2) 2.5" ID/4" OD exhaust tips. That should wake the car up a lil bit :)
-Brodie

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:08 am

supertrick_05 wrote:I also just bought a brand new still-sealed 2001 Neon owners manual with case, and a 4-book set of 2001 Neon shop manuals...fuck Chiltons! :)
Nice pick-up! The FSM will be one of the best things you buy for the car. Not just fuck Chiltons, fuck paying someone else to work on the car :thumbup:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:10 pm

Danteneon wrote:Nice pick-up! The FSM will be one of the best things you buy for the car. Not just fuck Chiltons, fuck paying someone else to work on the car :thumbup:
Amen brotha! One of my good buddies from Hibbing (about an hour west of me) said we could take the whole day of 4th of July and get it all done (suspension...I'll hopefully get the exhaust done sooner than that if the parts arrive in a timely fashion). Today I got the Energy Suspension master bushings kit, and I ordered all 4 KYB Excel-G struts this morning. The windshield will have to wait to get replaced until a few weeks since my glass guy is gone till the 9th. Oh well. At least I could have it back on the road in hopefully a week's time! Then I can finally enjoy it.

The package I got today:
-Brodie

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:22 pm

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:23 pm

LoL@ Cam :)

Today I got a call back from Arrowhead Auto Body about the windshield...$390 installed! OUCH! I had my dad talk to his glass guy, and he came up with a much better number...$225 installed. I think I'll go with Ted. I still haven't gotten a tracking number for my struts...I'm getting a little worried that they won't get here by Wednesday, which is the day I'm heading to Hibbing to get the suspension installed! Ugh...

On a brighter note, I briefly spoke to EJ (Hudson_Neon) about helping me rebuilding the 2.0 Mag since it has almost 200K miles on it (not anytime soon, mind you). Sounded like he's interested! Things are starting to fall into place...LOVE when that happens!
-Brodie

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:14 pm

NyNeon0813 wrote:I'm interested on how the ride is going to b with the kyb's and h&r. I'm on a nvr ending search for a good/cheap suspension setup..

Builds is looking good. Keep it up

Doesn't exist.

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:22 pm

^Agreed...this spring/strut combo will cost me $430...I don't consider that cheap by any means...but for what I have, I think I got a damn good deal on the brand new parts.
I guess you COULD get a cheaper suspension set-up (Stagg struts with Votgland springs @ $360), but I've only recently heard of Stagg and I tried to email them...with no luck. You can find good deals on used stuff for sure.
-Brodie

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:02 am

Today I got a few goodies in the mail...one LCA, the front strut mounts, the Magnaflow glasspack, and the '01 Neon brochure.

Next Wednesday the suspension will be installed (everything should arrive before the 4th) and Monday a new windshield. Thursday/Friday the exhaust. Should run/drive MUCH better than currently...even though I don't think it will cure the loss of power this car has. Maybe the engine is just that tired...I don't really know. Anyways, stay tuned folks!
-Brodie

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:34 am

I think I may have found the culprit to what is robbing the car of some ponies...pulled all of the plug wires out and the cylinder to the far left (I'm guessing cylinder #1) was full of oil. I'm guessing the plug tubes are all toast, but this one looked like it was banged around from the top. Dunno, but I'm guessing that's why I'm not getting the full power I crave so much from the Magnum. I'll be heading out to either Advance Auto Parts or Oriellys and getting some new tubes, plugs and wires. The wires won't be anything special, but at least they'll be new. I'll order some Granatelli wires sometime down the road. I'm hoping they have some NGK Iridiums in stock though...that would be nice!
-Brodie

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:40 am

I see you are getting all these goodies, but have you thought of what your doing about the K-frame?
The K-frame is a common issue with 2GN's period. I contacted Chrysler about this and they stated they have not heard of anyone complaining about it yet. I know the 04 Pacifica's had a recall on rotted front K-frames, I wonder if we get enough people filing complaints about structural integrity of the front K-frames being weak and rotting that we can get a recall started.. :roll:
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #666
(she officially died in 2018 by being donated to a church...seriously)

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:46 am

The K frame isnt bad enough to have immediate worries. I plan on replacing it this winter since the car will not be driven in the snow.
-Brodie

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:31 pm

Today I brought the Neon down to my dad's so it can get a windshield put in on Monday. By Tuesday, I should have all of my parts. Wednesday, my friend Jim and I will be installing the suspension. Thursday/Friday, the exhaust will be installed. This will be one hell of a week coming up! After all this is done, I'm just going to drive it and focus on paying debts. After the debts are either gone or the payments have gone down considerably, then I can start doing fun stuff to the R/T.

Here's a few pics I took yesterday, comparing the new/old air filters.

Couldn't find a filter that had a small enough inlet for the AEM pipe, so I had to do a little modifying...

This picture shows how dirty the AEM filter was...you can't even see light through it!

Plugs/wires I bought this morning.

MOAR PARTS! Received the rear spring insulators today.

And took a pic of the car before I left my dad's house.
-Brodie

sxxxt
2GN Member

Post by sxxxt » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:24 am

This is why I love ur log. Cuz u take pics of everything and get stuff done... U posted pics of the car on the 18th and already have so much done and planned then other people that have logs for a long time.
Keep it up I wil def v following this thread

Return to “Progress/Project Log”