chew*s built not bought 2000 mtx

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
chew*
2GN Member

chew*s built not bought 2000 mtx

Post by chew* » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:03 pm

2000 MTX I picked up hit low and hard.....I didn't bother with before pics, basically lower bumper was smooshed, frame rails were perfectly intact. Since I like the 03-05 body and to do the swap right it requires an 03-05 radiator support this is the perfect candidate.

After shredding everything off the car all the way to strut towers ( minus frame rails )

Pinned radiator support in place after extensive measurements were taken from "fixed" points such as strut towers, frame rails etc etc.

Once everything was pinned and remeasured it was time to weld.
Finsished product after welding.

Doors had a few dings but worse the start of rust at lower seams so they had to go, luckily a buddy of mine has a no title 27K 04 donor car So i bought all the doors for $250 swapped all the electronics from the 2k into the doors and hung them.

Added leather from my 03 no title R/T, still need to swap the chrome handles from the 2000's door panels though.

Here's the semi finished product with R/T skirts and mopar lip kit added.

List of other mods and work not pictured, silver bezel, leather shift boot ( not srt ), R/t cluster, temp/compass/maplight rear view, heated swivel power mirrors, urethaned mounts, installed a used pt clutch, resoldered the lower front pass side body harness destroyed in accident, black housing depos and thats all i can think of off the top of my head. I know ive done more but list is long and i have only had car 2 months.......

To be continued......

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:12 pm

Damn! That's mint lol
el. oh. el.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:15 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:Damn! That's mint lol
Not bad for a moron eh? ;)

Car has a mix of 00 and 03 interior harness done right, I need to do engine body harness swap to 01 or 02 next to use RT pcm, slipstreamed an 02 R/T factory alarm system/keyless entry in, still need to skim it to 02 R/T pcm.

Next on list is modified SRT duals to fit the rear lip cutouts and i have a set of eibach sports I sand blasted and por 15'd paired with kyb gr2's, just need to get new mounts and boots. After that i'm thinking rota slip streams in gunmetal gray.

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:45 pm

Looks very nice man. But there's no need to run an 03-05 rad support to run 03-05 front end. I do this shit for a living and personally have swapped front ends with no issues. The only front end issues are 03-05 srt rad supports have intercooler mounts and holes. And technically its the lower rad support that's different which is where the intercooler mounts. Upper is the same. Normal 00-05 neon have no difference. Also the srt hoods, srt design and srt bumpers are different. They mount in the same upper rad support mounts etc but the srt hoods are lil shorter and the bumpers come up lil higher. Its why an srtd or srt bumper with a stock neon hood don't work together and an srt hood on a normal neon has a bigger gap..

Once again car look great man
Last edited by a23dranger on Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
96 ranger 5.0,4wd,atx swap, jd lift and more, oem+
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:50 pm

a23dranger wrote:Looks very nice man. But there's no need to run an 03-05 rad support to run 03-05 front end. I do this shit for a living and personally have swapped front ends with no issues. The only front end issues are 03-05 srt rad supports have intercooler mounts and holes. Normal neon no difference. Also the srt hoods, srt design and srt bumpers are different. They mount in the same holes etc but the srt hoods are lil shorter and the bumpers come up lil higher. Its why and srtd or srt bumper with a stock neon hood don't work together and and srt hood on a normal neon has a bigger gap..

Once again car look great
Factory holes for the 03-05 bumper are missing on 00-02 on top of rad support, can i drill them sure.....will they be "factory" NO.

So no they aren't 100% same.

I'm kind of anal with things like that and even matching color support was used due to my anal retentive disorder if you will.

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:54 pm

I put an 02 cover on a 00 that was 100% stock. No issues. They use the same 3 upper holes. Also an 05 with an 02 rt cover, 02 with an srt cover. I mean maybe some early 00 don't have the 3 holes but drilling the holes isn't hard and there's a ton of really dumb neon guys out there who will then think they need a rad support to swap front ends and they dont
Last edited by a23dranger on Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:59 pm

a23dranger wrote:I put an 02 cover on a 00 that was 100% stock. No issues. They use the same 3 upper holes
Odd i have an 00 an 01 and an 02, none of those supports have the holes for the bumper cover on the top of support not that it matters, none of them were silver either so it was a moot point.

Drilling the holes isn't quite the same anyway, factory it appears punches the holes which tapers the hole allowing for more metal to grab the screws. I know this because I drilled my 01 support and after removing and installing screws a few times the factory screws stripped out the holes.

My 01 support could be a cheap aftermarket support though.....god knows that car has more panels replaced from whatever accident it was in prior to me owning it....

XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:17 pm

chew* wrote:
a23dranger wrote:I put an 02 cover on a 00 that was 100% stock. No issues. They use the same 3 upper holes
Odd i have an 00 an 01 and an 02, none of those supports have the holes for the bumper cover on the top of support not that it matters, none of them were silver either so it was a moot point.

Drilling the holes isn't quite the same anyway, factory it appears punches the holes which tapers the hole allowing for more metal to grab the screws. I know this because I drilled my 01 support and after removing and installing screws a few times the factory screws stripped out the holes.

My 01 support could be a cheap aftermarket support though.....god knows that car has more panels replaced from whatever accident it was in prior to me owning it....
i front end swapped 4 cars, all holes line up...
Haganracing wrote: Love you Cody, even if you fail in life <3
Leighvi424 wrote:omg cody i think u gave me a woodie :P
2004 dodge neon-300whp and counting

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:26 pm

can't explain why some of my rad supports have no holes but i can photo them and maybe you can explain it........

Kind of a pointless discussion though, they can be drilled, you can use a different color support as well or even after market.

I'm anal, I used a silver 03 support.

XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:33 pm

chew* wrote:can't explain why some of my rad supports have no holes but i can photo them and maybe you can explain it........

Kind of a pointless discussion though, they can be drilled, you can use a different color support as well or even after market.

I'm anal, I used a silver 03 support.
dodge does retarded things, but this is one ive never seen.

Post a pic when you get a chance..

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:38 pm

Only thing maybe I can Say is maybe an early 00 may not and aftermarket supports may not. Otherwise they should all have the holes
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:58 pm

01 on my car

Rad support i pulled on another car black 00.

This isn't my first time, Ive had a few dealings with neons prior to it being a hobby, even reconstructed 2 together right down middle between drivers and pass seats for a dealer once on 2 05's in 2006 when they actually were worth something.

One was salvaged title hit in front, the other wasn't salvaged hit in rear.....we took the salvaged one and cliiped the ass end on the non salvaged one. yes it drove straight.....was probably stronger than factory and heavier due to all welding...

XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:17 pm

chew* wrote:01 on my car

Rad support i pulled on another car black 00.

This isn't my first time, Ive had a few dealings with neons prior to it being a hobby, even reconstructed 2 together right down middle between drivers and pass seats for a dealer once on 2 05's in 2006 when they actually were worth something.

One was salvaged title hit in front, the other wasn't salvaged hit in rear.....we took the salvaged one and cliiped the ass end on the non salvaged one. yes it drove straight.....was probably stronger than factory and heavier due to all welding...
you sir must have got a retarded rad support. Either that or its aftermarket and they forgot to drill them.

All 00-05's should have those holes. Iirc, the only other difference between the 00 and the 01-05's was they used a cable clutch and they were not set up for hydraulic setups

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:24 pm

Black one may be aftermarket, the r134 a sticker is still on my support on 01 plus other signs lead me to believe its original so yah maybe retarded, none the less I know i drilled my side ones on my 01 and they already stripped with the oem fasteners.

00 to 01-05 difference list.

1. Door pins are mounted to body and strike door for interior lights. Not a problem to swap newer doors onto 00, swapping 00 doors to 01 and up will require lock mechanism and wire harness swapped.
2. window motor has backward pinout, plug fits, either do 2000 motors swapped into newer door or cut the tabs on switches and flip them upside down.
3. IAC is 4 pin wire and has a diff IAC motor altogether.
4. Map sensor is a round plug and iirc does not mount in 01-05 intakes.
5. removable harness usually found by master on 01-05 is mounted at pcm

Obviously cable clutch....
Just to name a few 2000 differences, the list is extensive.

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:57 pm

00 is a mut year. They used a lot of 1gn stuff. Basically a 1gn in a 2gn body. There is a lot different but body wise everything bolts on with no real issues. Only major thing is 00 firewall is setup for cable while 01-05 have the 2 bolt knock out plate for hydro.

Iac is 1gn style 4 wire while 01-05 is 2 wire

Fyi the. Map mounts the same its just the plug that is different.

And the harness deal is because a 00 uses a 97-99 engine harness. also the bay harness is different as the 02 sensor wires are not part of the bay harness like an 01-05 would be. 00 has the 02. Sensor wires with the engine harness. Found that out wth my 02 5spd swap using 00 harnesses and pcm.

As for the screw deal what size hole did u drill? A 1/8 bit and factory screws shouldn't really cause a big issue. But then again I've had the oem hole strip to
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sun Jul 15, 2012 11:28 pm

a23dranger wrote:00 is a mut year. They used a lot of 1gn stuff. Basically a 1gn in a 2gn body. There is a lot different but body wise everything bolts on with no real issues. Only major thing is 00 firewall is setup for cable while 01-05 have the 2 bolt knock out plate for hydro.

Iac is 1gn style 4 wire while 01-05 is 2 wire

Fyi the. Map mounts the same its just the plug that is different.

And the harness deal is because a 00 uses a 97-99 engine harness. also the bay harness is different as the 02 sensor wires are not part of the bay harness like an 01-05 would be. 00 has the 02. Sensor wires with the engine harness. Found that out wth my 02 5spd swap using 00 harnesses and pcm.

As for the screw deal what size hole did u drill? A 1/8 bit and factory screws shouldn't really cause a big issue. But then again I've had the oem hole strip to
I cut the firewall out of the 03 with the plasma cutter for a template so thats a non issue. Might loan template out to members in future who are on the fence about cutting/drilling accurate holes......

IIRC I have to swap an 01-02 body harness to use my 02 r/t harness because of the 02's and also to put the 2 plugs up by the master, no big deal really considering the body harness got trashed in accident.

Didn't pull map to check thnx for info.

I needed the 00 IAC just in case for something down the road so that was a bonus.

I think I used just under 1/8 th bit on my 01, its been a while since I did it.

I still have alot of work to do.....after the summer new england meet the engine trans get pulled and complete engine bay gets stripped.

I've got tons of parts laying around just need time, new subframe with a correctly mounted ( fabricated mounting ) manual rack, all new suspension components etc and i have a large pile of performance parts plus 4 superchargers, 1 from a cobalt, one from a bonneville, one vortech and one procharger but still need to finish the subframe fabricated lower mount to eliminate ac bracket and mount before i can even begin to play around. Some stuff is still on the drawing board as well.....still have not decided whether to R/T head or dual cam it....

Very very long way to go........especially with juggling the vactor trucks we work on and the "race/relics" we build like the toyota landcruiser we modified to put a 350 in and then theres the chevelle with a bigblock.....

Thats why it's called a hobby right? My last hobby netted me a guiness world record http://blogs.amd.com/play/2011/09/09/guinness/

Lets see where this one takes me.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:46 pm

A glimpse into the future :thumbup:

I think the built chevy engine is a tad peeved, I could have swore it coughed out the word "halfamotor" when we placed it next to the neon block.

No thats not a neon harmonic balancer ;)

Someone has been busy sand blasting and parts collecting.

Por 15 finish is way better than eibachs finish on the sportlines.

Unfortunately this is one of the projects for a customer that occupies alot of my free time.......

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:38 pm

Wouldn't mind that 2gn lower portion of that indy for my car as I want my dohc indy to be 90less. Or heck the whole intake. Btw do you need an 01-02 magnum engine harness or pcm? Have an 01 key, skim, ecu and engine harness sitting here.
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:28 pm

a23dranger wrote:Wouldn't mind that 2gn lower portion of that indy for my car as I want my dohc indy to be 90less. Or heck the whole intake. Btw do you need an 01-02 magnum engine harness or pcm? Have an 01 key, skim, ecu and engine harness sitting here.
I have the 02 pcm, harness, skim and key, just looking for an 01 cam for my N/A car, that cam in pic needs a regrind but not fond of regrinds.

I might be interested in it for my DD, might as well put 1 of the magnum intakes i have to use on my DD.

That indy intake lower section i had to weld, seller failed to mention crack at vaccum fittings but its all dandy fine now after i hit it with the aluminum welder.

Alot of parts are not in picture that i have multiples of, 2 r/t heads, 2 r/t intakes, 2 r/t headers, i have another garage full, a interiorless neon full to ceiling and some parts i may never end up using as I may go dohc, with mods I plan on swapping head to dohc alone should net at least 30 whp.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:14 am

No excuses left for dropping it now I guess.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:51 pm

Finished up the leather today, have a truck coming tommorow and i have to have it done by saturday if i want to be at meet on sunday so no time to get anything else done, was going to detail it saturday but now i made an appointment to have it reconditioned tommorow since I had to change my plans.

Red one is a little jealous of the new girl so they both got bath's today and a couple pictures.

I'll probably have better quality pictures after sunday :)

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:34 pm

Borrowed some pics from Mike, they do the car a bit more justice.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Mon Aug 06, 2012 7:02 pm

A little progress.

Blasted my eibach sportlines.

Picture quality sux but final coat is on, custom black metallic topcoat, should be able to install them on brandy new KYB's tommorow.

Would have had them done sooner but got a little side tracked.

The root of all evil for T850 transmission problems :beatstick:

Hopefully I will get both done tomorrow.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:25 pm

The traditional before/after lowering pictures.

Eibach Sportlines / KYB GR-2, current tire size 185/65/15

Before

After

Time to go work on the SRT now. Crappy shot but I modded one of the shift forks I had lying around since the one that came out was not salvageable.

You can see one of the stainless screws behind TOB. Also replaced pivot ball and TOB with new dealership parts.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:36 pm

SRT rolled away on its own power today, it still has its issues but tranny is shifting great.

Had some free time last night so I pulled the silver one in and put it on the lift, tackled all the sway bar bolts, managed to get the rear ones out with no issues and installed a srt rear sway I had that was mint, I wanted to install the R/T rear sway since its stiffer but it needs to be blasted as its really rusty.

One bolt broke in front so I will have to drill and tap that before i can toss the front SRT swaybar in. While i was in there I sprayed down the rear bolts for trailing arms and the Frame/LCA bolts.

I'll spray them down a few more times before we install the new modified front frame with the manual rack and modified central located engine/trans mount that deletes the AC bracket mount.

Debated on installing exhaust but decided to sleep on it for now, next may be the rear arms since I noticed one is bent on drivers side rear.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:55 am

Got bored, installed exhaust.

Sound clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F2EYl5ojlo
If the parts car is cleaner rust wise than your car, swap the inner dash panels (VIN) and use the parts car with your title.
But don't street race..!!??

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:36 am

SRT rear section?
PM me for your 03+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:18 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:SRT rear section?
Complete srt catback, R/T downpipe.

Still need to make cutouts in rear lip though and need to get/install cutout and a new downpipe. Maybe this weekend.
If the parts car is cleaner rust wise than your car, swap the inner dash panels (VIN) and use the parts car with your title.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:50 am

Finally may have aquired an 01 r/t cam so its time to see what kind of N/A power we can make on factory parts, some modifications and bolt ons with a tune. I don't expect this car to go to quick however N/A, it feels like i'm dragging an anchor around compared to my DD.

P&P magnum head
01 cam
02 R/T pcm
APEXi SafcII
P&P magnum intake
Magnum header
Mpx 60 mm
R/T downpipe
SRT catback
Custom CAI
10% leakdown tested low miles shortblock.

I also have a new sending unit that i installed a walbro in but IIRC the above mods won't require it and installing it may actually cause problems.

Game plan will be to rock this setup for a while while I ground up build another engine, once thats done if the above engine is still kicking it will end up in my daily since cylinder #3 is rocking a tad more than 30% leakdown lately in my DD.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:05 pm

Well picked up an 01 RT long block and trans yesterday and a rear spare lip thanks to r34neon01 :thumbup: , Got back around 9:30 grabbed my leakdown tester and compression gauge.

60,90,120,220 so didn't even bother with leakdown and proceded with teardown. Not a big deal to me considering the head is worth what i paid for the engine/trans combo.

One thing i've noticed peculiar is every R/T block is labeled in lots of various places, curiosity has me wondering if crank or block is made of a different grade/blend sort of like the connecting rods are HS 170 versus HS 160 found in stock neons. Can't imagine they would label the blocks that much if there wasn't more to it.

Anyway, completed teardown, inspected cam and measured it compared to my 02/03 R/T cams just to verify the differince in lift. It's seen a little wear on the exhaust lobes but should be fine. Started cleaning up head, not to bad progress for today, will do some more tommorrow.

Took a bit of time searching and patience to find this little guy for a reasonable price :thumbup:

Return to “Progress/Project Log”