chew*s built not bought 2000 mtx

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Fri Oct 05, 2012 8:00 pm

I got a line on some mint stock srt-4 rims.

I've glanced but did not really pay attention but iirc I need srt4 front knuckles and I would have to install the hubs/bearings from my neon in those. I'm guessing I will need to do an allignment afterwards as well due to knuckle change.

R/T knuckles will not work?

Any other options besides SRT knuckles? Thought I read something about having to use a mix of ATX PT parts and MTX PT parts.
If the parts car is cleaner rust wise than your car, swap the inner dash panels (VIN) and use the parts car with your title.
But don't street race..!!??

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:23 pm

To run the SRT wheels? It's struts that cause the issue not knuckle. Spring perch is higher on SRT to fit the wheels. Ways around it are smaller tires, swApping in SRT struts or coilovers. Also your hubs and bearings from your 00 would not work in the srt knuckles. 95- 02 run 33mm wide bearings and hubs vs 03-up 39mm wide. As for he block I think they label it all over so there is no mistake it gets put in a non magnum car. With out the head or intake on it, it would be pretty easy for someone on the assembly line to make a mistake.
96 ranger 5.0,4wd,atx swap, jd lift and more, oem+
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:18 am

All right so I need to swap out my KYB's in front to some comparable brand of SRT strut to run 50 size tires I gather.....I am guessing 40's give a preety hard ride and 45's are preety expensive from what I have seen.

Is this a front and rear issue?
If the parts car is cleaner rust wise than your car, swap the inner dash panels (VIN) and use the parts car with your title.

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:25 am

All 4 struts
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:58 am

FWIW, later 2002 models have the 39mm bearings. It was a mid year change. My ACR has the larger bearings.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:25 am

yeah late 02 got the 39mm and 01-02 r/t and acrs got the 39mm. i just say 00-02 so ppl dont get confused or lost trying to figure out if they have later model etc. im used to having to explain things to very slow ppl who get lost in a wet cardboard box.
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:34 am

You could get away with running a small spacer or beating the spring perch on the kyb's.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:07 pm

a23dranger wrote:im used to having to explain things to very slow ppl who get lost in a wet cardboard box.
:lol:
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:20 pm

Sounds like I should just stick with original plans of rota's and 15"s then to preserve ride quality.

a23dranger
2GN Member

Post by a23dranger » Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Plus srt wheels are heAvy As heck too
98 ACR 67k
01 ACR-R/T

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:48 pm

a23dranger wrote:Plus srt wheels are heAvy As heck too
Yep I knew that but currently its just a heavy turd with a tired engine so basically a weekend creeper. It looks nice.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:30 pm

Rims put on hold. Had a drastic change of plans. Update soon with pics :twisted:

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:47 am

So the update I was talking about. I grabbed a rear quarter stuffed 2gn.

It's a 2000 with an srt4 swap already. Swap has 85K currently.....should make things easy for me to swap into my 2000.

I started poking around.

So far the tally mod wise is.

AEM CAI

Urethane mount inserts all around.

Looks like it has a tial BOV and I think the cold side hardpipe to use a BOV is an add on.

All solenoids are bypassed and blocked off, tip is blocked off to, oddly enough no cel but confirmed cel works.

3" 02 housing and 3" downpipe.

3" stainless mid section connected to what I believe is the borla rear section? It's joined after it goes over hump. Not sure how salvageable rear section is due to accident but it doesn't look mangled.

Turbo looks new or rebuilt....not even sure if stock.

Found a greddy oil catch can

The pcm is staged ( not sure probably 1 ), injectors are black body with blue ring, stage 1 IIRC or stock for 04-05.

PCM def staged though, has the second sticker stating it is meant for car with vin ending in XXXXXX.

IC might be an AGP direct fit? I'll have to pull bumper to see.

Gonna check engine health wise over weekend, it runs fine but that doesn't mean its healthy.

I'll post some pics tommorow.
Last edited by chew* on Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:30 pm

Donor car

Image[/img]

Butt secks

r34neon01
2GN Member

Post by r34neon01 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:14 pm

Hey man are you going to be selling this when you are done with it? I mean your 2000 after you swap the srt motor in it.

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000099

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:26 pm

r34neon01 wrote:Hey man are you going to be selling this when you are done with it? I mean your 2000 after you swap the srt motor in it.
Not really sure but yes it is going in the 2000.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:18 pm

More investigating.

Mopar STS

Booger shifter bushings

Granatelli coil

Granatelli wires

Nothing special really except when you are upgrading but aftermarket OEM twin fan radiator and fan assembly.

Had a code something related to skim, no emmisions stuff though.

I stuck a donut on it so it would clear the damage at rear wheel and move and took it down the end of dead end street here....didn't get to crazy put it in gear got going then nailed it, spun 1st, shifted got going, nailed it spun 2nd, shifted got going nailed it and it spun 3rd then I parked it because I think body started to bend more.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Compression and leak down. Testing done hot.

Cyl 1.

Cyl 2.

Cyl 3.

Cyl 4.

To sum it all up looks like I scored a preety well balanced and healthy engine.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Worked on interior today.

Crap photos but this is what you get when you cross a SRT interior with a leather package R/T.

Cleaned up afterwards and a couple shots.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:53 pm

looks good, but... is that the boost gauge?
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:16 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:looks good, but... is that the boost gauge?
Yes it's the factory SRT dash top. Don't need it today but safest place to store dash is in car. It will need it once swapped.

Would be kinda lame to drive around with a boost gauge with no boost but I don't drive this car currently except to go to meets.

Only a few things left to aquire interior wise.

Door handles, silver or chrome am undecided and have chromes but am leaning towards silver now.

Radio, likely RB1.

Rug and floor mats.

Steering wheel is kinda up in the air for me, I scanned the wiring.

I can make the 03 airbag/clockspring work and cruise is deleted so that simplifies things and I have a mint leather 03 from the R/T but.....I'm not a fan of the 03 style.

On the other hand finding a mint leather 02 wheel has proved to be difficult.

Also want to dye/paint certain parts black and redo front seats but for the most part its preety much complete.

*Edit*

On a side note I can always swap interior harness to newer or grab an srt interior harness but I hear they are hard to find and it would take quite a bit of work for me to keep some of the options my car has already...

This car was a "slipstreamed" for lack of a better word srt swap.....I need to dig into it more......they got reverse lights working so it's not a horrible job but not the way I would have done it originally.

I have to take a pic of the "IC" mod they did to front 02 bumper swap......once you see that it's clear that they cut corners here and there....from what I understand the kid I got it off had it for 1K miles before he wrecked it.

Not sure who owned it before him but maybe the front "bumper" will remind a member here of the car.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:17 pm

So worked on donor car a little more today.

Pulled rims off and installed 4 donut spares.

Pulled bumper and tossed it. Inspected IC as I knew it wasn't stock.

Seems they played the who needs a crash bar game....which is odd because it sure looks like it would have fit fine......

Mystery solved of which IC this is.

Stored car away for now till I recover from purshase and can afford to put it in the other with all new seals/gaskets etc etc.

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:26 pm

ahh didn't realize you had an SRT donor. makes more sense now.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:34 pm

sidepipe87 wrote:ahh didn't realize you had an SRT donor. makes more sense now.
I figured you didn't realize that. :D

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:16 am

Decided to stick with silver trim theme. Anyone willing to let silver srt door handles go lmk.

Might be trading this IC.

Guy wants to trade me an MPX bfmic + mpx crashbar for this quickwhips and one of my spare stock crashbars + $100.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:18 pm

New phone = better interior shots. Still a work in progress but more than 50% there I'd say.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Got the airbag/clock spring/wiring issues sorted out today and installed the 03 leather wheel.

Almost finished pulling apart the 03 R/T donor car today, it leaves tommorow. all thats left to pull is rear disc brake swap.

steamer1227
2GN Member

Post by steamer1227 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 10:32 pm

Sick car. Loving this build!! Great work. IMO GO CHROME!!! Lol. I'm only a little bias lol. Anyway good luck with the rest of the build. Great job so far!

-STEPHEN- <HOW TO> <FEEDBACK>

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Thx,

If it comes down to assrape pricing on silver handles I have 2 complete sets of chromes which I will use as i'm fresh out of vaseline :rofl:

Got a trade worked out with another member here for an RB1 :thumbup:

That leaves front seats needing to be reupholstered eventually, clean rug needs to be aquired, floor mats and dying/painting certain panels.

Meanwhile I will continue picking up suspension parts and the few leftover exterior items.

chew*
2GN Member

Post by chew* » Fri Nov 16, 2012 10:05 pm

Probably just being anal retentive but my rear exhaust cutouts in the rear lip are not absolutely perfect and tbh without molded edges it kinda looks gaff to me..........

So I shelled out some dough for a srt rear bumper versus hacking up another silver lip which I was smart enough to grab for that just in case situation.

Maybe get some motivation to install it in the next few days if I can catch a break weather wise.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”