My brand used 01 R/T

Do you have a project going or will you be starting a project here very soon and just want to keep a log of everything you and when? Share with everyone every step of the way what sort of progress you are making on your project.
INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

My brand used 01 R/T

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:37 pm

I didn't want to post up until after Carlisle, was going to surprise a few people, but it didn't make it up anyway.

Picked this up from Scott, came almost non-running, but with some good parts.

The evening I picked it up (crappy picture, tried to lighten it up some).

Just now.

Now, it wasn't running because the the temp sensor bung was craked from tightening it down too far. I tried to JB weld it all in place and it worked.... for about 2 weeks. It broke about 5 minutes into the trip going to Carlisle.

Not exactly one of my most proud moments, but eh, didn't have anything to lose.

I'm putting on a standard SOHC head that was milled .020" with magnum valve springs on, unless I find a good deal on a magnum head. Would prefer to trade my head plus a little cash.

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Hee-hee, I have the radio that used to be in that Neon. :D
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

redneckmoparman
2GN Member

Post by redneckmoparman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:46 am

Toss a standard head on for now go get a junk head and savage that from it and get it welded onto the head and go back to magnum
ImageJason AKA Bootz

"You sound confused, you start with "I have this what can I do?" and then wander off into turbo land."

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:38 am

redneckmoparman wrote:Toss a standard head on for now go get a junk head and savage that from it and get it welded onto the head and go back to magnum
That's kind of the plan. I have a standard SOHC head that was rebuilt a while back I'm going to put on.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:03 am

didnt see the jb weld pics of FB, i'm impressed :rofl:

if you took it to a shop they couldnt just weld it shut for you? sure beats taking the head off, at least with it on its not going to warp. like i said on FB relocate it to the water neck housing on the head, better readings there anyway
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:39 am

Would need some good cleaning, maybe grinding some material away, and weld that chunk back on, then re drill and tap the hole. Or probably just re tap it.

Removing the material will shrink the hole size to make re tapping possible. Just stick the beginning part of the pipe tap in there and tack weld the piece, so the beginning threads match up.

The area around the water neck is pretty tight. not sure there is room for the factory ECT there.

This is just a skinny Autometer sender.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:30 am

occasional demons wrote:Would need some good cleaning, maybe grinding some material away, and weld that chunk back on, then re drill and tap the hole. Or probably just re tap it.

Removing the material will shrink the hole size to make re tapping possible. Just stick the beginning part of the pipe tap in there and tack weld the piece, so the beginning threads match up.

The area around the water neck is pretty tight. not sure there is room for the factory ECT there.

This is just a skinny Autometer sender.
When it broke again, the smaller of the 2 pieces left on the road somewhere. I'd have to have the hole welded shut at this point and then drill/tap it. Can't do that that easily on the head. It's going to be easier to remove the head and have it fixed at a later date. Plus, my daily just started rod knocking, so I don't really have a choice, I need to get this up and running.

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:51 am

Just slap a regular head on it and and roll on it for a while. You likely won't notice the difference and it buys you time to have the mag head properly repaired.

Then drive it to PGH and meet Ryan and myself to swap my fake CCWs for those MSE stones.
el. oh. el.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:59 pm

FAC3L3SS wrote:Just slap a regular head on it and and roll on it for a while. You likely won't notice the difference and it buys you time to have the mag head properly repaired.

Then drive it to PGH and meet Ryan and myself to swap my fake CCWs for those MSE stones.
That's what I'm planning on doing. The head I have was milled .020", so it'll give it a little bump in compression.

And although I really like the CCW's, how they look on your car, and the stance could happen with my coils, I'm not sure if I want that aggressive of a fitment on this car. I mean, it's going to be sort of my wife's car.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 2:54 pm

"wifes car" :^o
Justin

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:37 pm

r/tguy02 wrote:"wifes car" :^o
Well I'm going to have to drive it until I get the 98 back on the road. But I really preferred the 98. It's a lot faster.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:45 am

ha knew it lol

i agree though on the faster part
Justin

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Headgasket set came in today, and I cheated when I bought it.

I knew I was putting a standard head on the car, so I bought a headgasket set that was on sale at rockauto for $33 from a 95 neon, then I bought 4 95 neon intake manifold gaskets for $3.50 total (63 cents each, I couldn't buy just one)! The standard intake and exhaust manifold gaskets are the exact size of each manifold and will fit the head better than the magnum gaskets. Also, I found my ARP studs from my old built motor, so I'm going to be using them. A felpro gasket alone from autozone would have ran me $44 by itself, not to mention intake and exhaust, cam seals, etc.

The only thing I'll need is a valve cover gasket set, and still waiting on my spark plug tubes, they should be here tomorrow or Saturday. Joe (Team Livid) is coming over tomorrow to buy some things, and he's going to lend me a hand taking apart the car. Hoping to get it done my Saturday so I can change all the soft lines on my minivan's and convert it to 11" brakes on Sunday.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:57 am

Joe came down, we got the car about halfway done. Head is off, most of the parts swapped over to the new head, just need a few small things to continue in the morning.

Been a long time since I worked on a car until 1AM.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Mon Aug 11, 2014 4:03 am

Got the head on, torqued down, etc and started. Need to tighten the alt belt and then take it for a test drive. I hope it's okay.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:52 pm

I'm betting it was just fine. 8-[
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:48 am

I drove mine to PGH and back with hand-tight head bolts :lol:
el. oh. el.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:16 pm

A good hand job is sometimes sufficient enough.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Aug 13, 2014 7:22 pm

Only took 2 progress pictures.

95 style SOHC gasket against magnum intake manifold, lines up really well, just a little ugly on the front side ( I could have trimmed it a little but forgot to).

I'll probably be dropping the head off to one of my two friends that weld aluminum professionally. Decision to be made if I want to put it back on the R/T or recycle it on the NYG, even though I'd love that to go DOHC right now.

The head that is currently on the R/T is a standard sohc, milled .020" with magnum springs in it. I can't really notice a difference in power, but part throttle "feels" a little better.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:30 pm

Wife hates the thermal on the back of the car with the SRT rear bumper. It doesn't sit wide enough for her.

We might put a single exit on it like our SRT had. I'd love to have an aero turbine again, but honestly that thing BELLOWED with the SRT. I'm sure it would be too loud. Probably going to end up with an oval magnaflow muffler.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:55 pm

INVUJerry wrote:Wife hates the thermal on the back of the car with the SRT rear bumper. It doesn't sit wide enough for her.
Well then you better remove it and promptly ship it to me, so the sight of it doesn't bother her again! :rofl:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MyNeonSaysHi
2GN Veteran

Post by MyNeonSaysHi » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:06 pm

sucks the 2gn non turbo Thermal won't fit the cutouts of the SRT rear. Hence why its rolled. Atleast its not a grape fruit shooter.

08 Acura TL-S
23 Hyundai Elantra N

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:46 pm

occasional demons wrote:
INVUJerry wrote:Wife hates the thermal on the back of the car with the SRT rear bumper. It doesn't sit wide enough for her.
Well then you better remove it and promptly ship it to me, so the sight of it doesn't bother her again! :rofl:
Ryan B has dibs on it, he's hassled me for the muffler since before I even considered it.
MyNeonSaysHi wrote:sucks the 2gn non turbo Thermal won't fit the cutouts of the SRT rear. Hence why its rolled. Atleast its not a grape fruit shooter.
Well, I'm not putting on a grapefruit shooter on it....

FAC3L3SS
2GN Veteran

Post by FAC3L3SS » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:23 am

Mmm I love them oval-style mufflers. Probably gonna skip on the flat black Vibrant trend?
el. oh. el.

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:34 am

FAC3L3SS wrote:Mmm I love them oval-style mufflers. Probably gonna skip on the flat black Vibrant trend?
Yeah I'm good on all that.

Return to “Progress/Project Log”