step by step megasquirt---anyone

Just install MegaSquirt or some other system that allows you to tune your car or just have a question about tuning and the options available? Feel free to ask it here.
SGT BRAD
2GN Member

step by step megasquirt---anyone

Post by SGT BRAD » Wed May 07, 2008 5:40 pm

this may seem juvenile, but can one of the guys with ms experience write a tutorial on the steps after the unit is wired. i have tried playing with megatune, it doesn't do anything without being connected to ms. i also can't seem to get the maps that mookie sent me to download. i am assuming that i'll need to be connected to the ms unit to get things working. it's lazy, but can someone do a walk through? like say from initial powerup to downloading maps to the ms unit, and how to use autotune and megatuner. thanks. i'm flying solo on this install (just like every other one) and could use a little hand holding to keep me from wetting my pants.
brad
ooh...there's a glimmer of the dream left!!!

turbodudey
2GN Member

Post by turbodudey » Wed May 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Well, it's 6:00 pm and I'm still at work... and I'm board. (waiting for CATIA to load) So, here goes...

Starting at the first power up:
We'll assume the CPU doesn't have firmware already burned on it. (if it does already, that's ok. we'll just start at the beginning anyway)

*if you haven't already downloaded the lastest version of the firmware you want to use from msefi.com, now would be a good time to do that*

*also after you download the firmware, you'll need to extract the files to the same root directory as your MegaTune installation on your PC (so that megatune can find the files when it goes looking for them)*

1. Connect your laptop to the MS box (with the MS powered up).
2. Verify which comm port you're using to connect to the MS box, by checking in your device manager.
3. Run the copyini.bat file that came with the firmware version you want to load. (it will say "1 file copied" if it's successful)
4. Run the megatune configurator and activate the firmware version you want to use
5. Run the downloadfirmware.bat file to load the firmware on your MS CPU. (if this is the first time to burn the MSnS-E firmware you'll have to jump the bootloader on the PCB. the batch file will prompt you to do this as well)
6. After successfully burning the firmware you can now run MegaTune. In the top left corner of the MT window it will tell you what your firmware version is. (verify this is correct)
7. Provided the .msq file you want to run was created using the same firmware version as you're currently running you should be able to load the .msq without getting any errors. (you may still get a couple errors, such as a MAP sensor error, just make sure your hardware configuration matches your car's setup and you will be fine.) If you just hit "save" in MT and then reload the .msq it won't give you those errors any more.
8. To completely avoid the aforementioned errors in MT you can simply create your own .msq from scratch. Regardless of whether you've created your own map or loaded someone elses .msq you're now ready to start tuning.
9. At this point you should be seeing all the gauges in MT respond in realtime.

10. To start the car the first time all the settings in MT need to be correct. If you're starting from someone elses .msq that had a similar setup, you "should" be good to go. To fire the car up you may just need to adjust the the cranking PW table to get it to fire, and then adjust the req_fuel value to keep it running once it's lit.

more here:http://www.msextra.com/manuals/MS_Extra ... .htm#howto

Ok... time for me to go home. :)

Questions? Comments? Fire away...
~Josh

'07 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4x4
'96 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4

SGT BRAD
2GN Member

Post by SGT BRAD » Wed May 07, 2008 9:35 pm

woo hoo... i swear i thought someone would flame me for being too lazy to do the required reading. it's more like i'm too dumb to figure it out and need someone to walk me through it step by step. thanks turbodudey. i'll be referencing this page after my install. hey admins is this worth a sticky?

kc2005ptgt
Former Moderator

Post by kc2005ptgt » Thu May 08, 2008 1:37 am

stickied... awesome info, please post anything else you got Josh ;)
SOLD 5/13- 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible | 2.4L Turbo HO | Bright Silver Metallic
SOLD 7/09- 2002 Dodge Neon ACR | Flame Red
The Offical: Sold My Neon Even Though I Swore I Never Would Club | Member #777

SGT BRAD
2GN Member

Post by SGT BRAD » Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:41 pm

ok so i'm sitting here with the cd that rs autosport sent. there are a bunch of files on the disc. only the megatune seems to be downloadable without some sort of port/connectivity error. i still haven't installed the ms yet. i was just downloading everything onto my other laptop to spend some time learning it all. i have some other programs downloaded on my laptop at the office. i am assuming that i'm going to install the ms into the car and then follow turbodudey's tutorial above. i'm getting lazier as i get older and am getting used to software that downloads itself and walks you through everything. i'm going to spend some time looking through the manual file that rodney included on the disc. i'll keep you posted with more questions or updates

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:00 am

I'm with you SGT BRAD. I was attempting to get some reading in during my spare time on MS and how to tune, but this stuff is way above my head.

http://www.megamanual.com/ms2/tune.htm

There's all kinds of numbers and equations that I can't even begin to understand. This stuff is pretty deep, and I get overwhelmed and my eyes just kinda glaze over when reading it.

I don't even have a base map. Where do I start?
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

SGT BRAD
2GN Member

Post by SGT BRAD » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:08 pm

rsautosport can provide a base map. i think turbodudey can as well. there's even someone running ms on a bolt-on n/a motor. that would be the one to grab if you're n/a. otherwise i can send you a 4bar map sample once i'm back and running.

yellowpatrol
2GN Member

Post by yellowpatrol » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:56 pm

Nope, I've got the Hahn 20g and the MS with the 4 BAR map sensor, shooting for high boost. If you have a map that'll work for my setup I'd absolutely love to get ahold of it! That website is like Greek to me- wait I guess that's not the best analogy since I'm Italian, but you know what I mean.
FEEDBACK
Adionik wrote:On a 100% stock SRT engine i've seen detonation on 93 octane, I know what i'm talking about.

turbodudey
2GN Member

Post by turbodudey » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:54 pm

There are a bunch of maps here:

http://www.northtexasneons.org/~antihero/megasquirt/

My official position is that base maps are nice to look at as a reference, but in the end you're still going to have to tune your own car.

If you just walk through the manual, step by step, there's really not that much mystery to it. All the equations and figures are mostly just for illustration purposes. You can ignore them if you want. :)

The text where it actually tells you what to do, like "enter X.XX value in X specific field", that's the stuff that matters.
~Josh

'07 Toyota Highlander Hybrid Limited 4x4
'96 Toyota 4Runner Limited 4x4

Return to “Tuning / MegaSquirt”