My Megasquirt setup LIVES!

Just install MegaSquirt or some other system that allows you to tune your car or just have a question about tuning and the options available? Feel free to ask it here.
anomalous0
2GN Member

My Megasquirt setup LIVES!

Post by anomalous0 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:28 pm

BASIC INFO:

Well, I finally got it built and mostly wired together.
I'm running MS2 on a v3.0 PCB, going into an 02 MTX SE.
I'm basically doing a setup right in between Full standalone and piggyback: I'm sharing TPS and Crank position sensors, and just setup a quick disconnect so the stock IAT and CLT sensors are going into the MS, but can be switched back for emissions. using injector pigtails so, again, I can just swap the stock injector plugs back in. Using IAC1A to run the cooling fan since I stole the CLT signal away, and using PWM Idle to run the actual IAC.
MS becomes much less confusing when you realize that it controls injectors and coils by switching the grounds on and off, rather than the 12v+. Also, having a good clean chassis ground is ESSENTIAL. Be sure to have a cable hooked from your negative battery terminal to some spot on your chassis (I use the driver side fender) that has been wirebrushed free of any paint and debris.

QUESTIONS I HAVE:
Does the stock ECU need anything other than the Crank signal to keep the ASD relay alive?

Would having it setup this way also allow the stock ECU to handle the fuel pump, or would megasquirt need to control the fuel pump as well?
Last edited by anomalous0 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you haven't bled on it, it's not your car"

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:33 am

It also needs the skim data to be correct. You can pretty easily power the relay off the fuel pump wire in the MS harness though if you don't have the required original equipment.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

anomalous0
2GN Member

Post by anomalous0 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:19 pm

No SKIM for me :D. At this point I'll try to make it work, and if it doesn't, I'll do that ZTX450 to ZTX650 upgrade so I can run both off the fuel pump wire.

anomalous0
2GN Member

Post by anomalous0 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:18 am

IT LIVES! Started up right away. Unfortunately, my wideband controller is fried (due to some wiring/grounding mistakes on my part), so I won't be able to get a decent tune till I build the replacement, but it started up immediately, and actually idles better than the stock computer does without O2 input (idle jumps up and down a bit, but stock computer actually lets it die if I'm not careful). It also drives, albeit a bit rough, with a stutter at 3K RPM and high load, though from the smell of it I got the a/f ratios pretty close, at idle at least. I'm running without a cat as well for the time being, but that's going back in as soon as the car is drivable to an exhaust shop which, again, is waiting on the wideband. Of course, now that I've celebrated my little victory, I begin the long, arduous process of making it daily drivable.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:26 am

Congrats! Email me if you need some pointers on making it run nicer. erick or sales @aspturbo.com
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

anomalous0
2GN Member

Post by anomalous0 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:15 am

I appreciate it. My main problem is with warm starting, using Una's base map from neonsquirt.com got me 60% of the way there and autotune got me most of the rest, fortunately, since the "tuning-ms" sections of this board and the other .org consist mostly of questions about whether people should go with ms and how to build/hookup the ms, with very little info on actual tuning to be found.
Apart from that, gas around here maxes out at 91 octane and almost all of the rules I can find are for turbo builds in places that have 93 available. On the other hand if I was boosted I probably would've blown my motor in the initial tuning phase so I'm lucky there.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:21 am

To run 91 octane instead, knock off 3-4 degrees of timing across the board, and pay very close attention to knock and running leaner than 11.5:1.

Return to “Tuning / MegaSquirt”