Ms problems

Just install MegaSquirt or some other system that allows you to tune your car or just have a question about tuning and the options available? Feel free to ask it here.
n20sxt
2GN Member

Ms problems

Post by n20sxt » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:38 pm

I was driving yesterday and noticed my car was running a little on the lean side so i pulled over at my buddys house when it just died. It took a while to start and i limped my car back home and now it wont start in the least bit. The battery is fine, checked all the fuses and the wiring for the MS and everything looks fine. The MS will no longer communicate with my computer and does not turn on at all. I am getting 13.6 volts at the end of the harness so that isnt the problem either.... Any ideas? is my MS fried for some reason? I got to figure this out before my cross country trip in a month :(
Budget Boost FTW

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Re: Ms problems

Post by ZeroChad » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:18 pm

n20sxt wrote:I was driving yesterday and noticed my car was running a little on the lean side so i pulled over at my buddys house when it just died. It took a while to start and i limped my car back home and now it wont start in the least bit. The battery is fine, checked all the fuses and the wiring for the MS and everything looks fine. The MS will no longer communicate with my computer and does not turn on at all. I am getting 13.6 volts at the end of the harness so that isnt the problem either.... Any ideas? is my MS fried for some reason? I got to figure this out before my cross country trip in a month :(
Too bad you don't have a stim to test it with. Are you running full standalone or piggybacked? Are the injector LEDs coming on during cranking?

The comm issue is worrysome. When was the last time you connected to it before that?
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

boostalot717
2GN Member

Post by boostalot717 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:42 pm

You need to hook a stim to it. Although it seems light a weird was for MS to fail. Symptoms sound like a bad fuel pump. what does it say when you try to connect via laptop? The LED might not work, when I crank mine the LED do not light up until it is running.

n20sxt
2GN Member

Post by n20sxt » Sat Jul 16, 2011 4:14 pm

ZeroChad wrote:
Too bad you don't have a stim to test it with. Are you running full standalone or piggybacked? Are the injector LEDs coming on during cranking?

The comm issue is worrysome. When was the last time you connected to it before that?
I know right? Its piggybacked, the stock computer is still controlling the fuel pump etc. The LEDs aren't coming on during cranking. I think the last time i connected too it was 4 or so days before this incident.
boostalot717 wrote:You need to hook a stim to it. Although it seems light a weird was for MS to fail. Symptoms sound like a bad fuel pump. what does it say when you try to connect via laptop? The LED might not work, when I crank mine the LED do not light up until it is running.
Fuel pressure is at 50ish during prime so i believe the pump is fine. That and i just replaced it recently. When i try to connect it says "No response!" as if the MS isnt even on. triple checked all the wires yesterday and its deff not that either.. Im stumped :roll:
Budget Boost FTW

magner
2GN Member

Post by magner » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:46 am

Open up the MS case and inspect for faults like burn out resistors, loose connections etc.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:23 pm

Yea, that sounds a lot like a 2.2 board I saw where a bad CKPS caused a short that burned the whole 12v main trace right off the board.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

n20sxt
2GN Member

Post by n20sxt » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:14 pm

Ill report back with pictures in the next couple days. Thanks for all the help everyone
Budget Boost FTW

n20sxt
2GN Member

Post by n20sxt » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:45 pm

decided not to post pics cause my camera is shit, but everything looks ok. Im sending it in to get "diagnosed" for 40 bucks.
Budget Boost FTW

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:58 am

I had the same issue to find there was a firmware update for the ms board to fix this...

Return to “Tuning / MegaSquirt”