Sorry for the nOOb PCM Question

Just install MegaSquirt or some other system that allows you to tune your car or just have a question about tuning and the options available? Feel free to ask it here.
MoparOso
2GN Member

Sorry for the nOOb PCM Question

Post by MoparOso » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:51 am

I'm pretty experienced with vehicles in general, and for LX platform stuff I'm very well versed, but with the N/A Neon stuff I'm still learning the ropes.

I've got a defective PCM in my 2004 R/T and have purchased a new unit for the vehicle. My question here is are these PCM's like the units in the SRT4 Calibers in that they require information about the vehicle to be burned into the ROM on the new device before it can be installed?

Thanks!
Michael

04' Bright Silver Metallic Neon R/T - All sorts of goodies
05' Clearcoat Black Neon SXT - The driver
05' Clearcoat Black Crossfire SRT6 - Stock but easy on the eyes
08' Brilliant Black Pearl 300C SRT8 - 426 blown @ 11psi

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:02 am

Yes it needs "Flashed" to your VIN, and SKIM to work.

If you do not want SKIM, and it is a brand new, not new to you PCM, you could remove the SKIM module and antenna from the vehicle, and have them just flash the VIN. It will probably cost the same either way. But spare keys will be about $2 :lol:

Edit: if you have already put it in the car, and tried to start it, It is now permanently a SKIM PCM. There is no going back.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MoparOso
2GN Member

Post by MoparOso » Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:23 am

Thanks man, I don't know anything about SKIM other that it provides theft deterrence, but I want to keep it enabled. I haven't received the PCM yet, but at least now I know what's up in terms of install.
Michael

04' Bright Silver Metallic Neon R/T - All sorts of goodies
05' Clearcoat Black Neon SXT - The driver
05' Clearcoat Black Crossfire SRT6 - Stock but easy on the eyes
08' Brilliant Black Pearl 300C SRT8 - 426 blown @ 11psi

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:35 am

SKIM is not the enemy! Good choice keeping it :lol:
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:44 pm

SKIM is only the enemy if you do a lot of PCM swapping between cars, because it would add a ton more work and/or expense for the average person.

But then not too many ppl do such a thing.

But for backyard diagnostic purposes, it is a huge brick wall. But in 99% of the cases, it isn't the PCM anyways. But that simple and free double check is lost forever.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

95srtswap
2GN Member

Re: Sorry for the nOOb PCM Question

Post by 95srtswap » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:20 am

MoparOso wrote:I'm pretty experienced with vehicles in general, and for LX platform stuff I'm very well versed, but with the N/A Neon stuff I'm still learning the ropes.

I've got a defective PCM in my 2004 R/T and have purchased a new unit for the vehicle. My question here is are these PCM's like the units in the SRT4 Calibers in that they require information about the vehicle to be burned into the ROM on the new device before it can be installed?

Thanks!

I have to be careful and sorry mods but I can flash vins and skims for you :)

PS mods i'm here for the long haul and will get my 350 post to qualify for vendor status

95srtswap
2GN Member

Re: Sorry for the nOOb PCM Question

Post by 95srtswap » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:20 am

MoparOso wrote:I'm pretty experienced with vehicles in general, and for LX platform stuff I'm very well versed, but with the N/A Neon stuff I'm still learning the ropes.

Thanks!

I have to be careful and sorry mods but I can flash vins and skims for you :)

PS mods i'm here for the long haul and will get my 350 post to qualify for vendor status

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:46 am

Fyi dante also has a drb3 and will flash vins and skims for folks for free! That said, if you cod have them mailed to you and sent back in a timely manner i'm sure you could get some business doing that since not everyone is in close proximity to dante and the dealer will charge a lot if they will even do it
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

Return to “Tuning / MegaSquirt”