Megasuirt wiring/ngc... need experts on wiring

Just install MegaSquirt or some other system that allows you to tune your car or just have a question about tuning and the options available? Feel free to ask it here.
XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Megasuirt wiring/ngc... need experts on wiring

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:20 am

Heres the story.. which alot of you may know.. I have a 2004 dodge neon sxt ( ngc) with megasquirt wired piggybacked. well im now running a 96 dohc motor, and for the life of me, i couldnt figure out why the alternator wouldnt charge and why my cooling fan wouldnt kick on either. After sleeping on it, i figured out that my problem is im not running a cam sensor anymore sine megasquirt doesnt require it. Now, since the stock pcm isnt seeing engine rpm, it doesnt tell the stock pcm to run the alternator or the cooling fan relay. So, not sure if its possible, but is there a way to make an sbec motor read engine rpm on an ngc pcm?

-Cody
Haganracing wrote: Love you Cody, even if you fail in life <3
Leighvi424 wrote:omg cody i think u gave me a woodie :P
2004 dodge neon-300whp and counting

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:27 pm

Nope, never going to happen. NGC PCMs only have the NGC crank decoder programmed and there is specific memory space for it that can't be replaced without programming the ECU from the ground up.
You are going to have to run general purpose outputs or a mechanical switch for the fan and an external regulator for the alternator. You also will never have RPM on your stock gauge cluster.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:51 pm

esteinmaier wrote:Nope, never going to happen. NGC PCMs only have the NGC crank decoder programmed and there is specific memory space for it that can't be replaced without programming the ECU from the ground up.
You are going to have to run general purpose outputs or a mechanical switch for the fan and an external regulator for the alternator. You also will never have RPM on your stock gauge cluster.
you say crank. Isnt rpm read off of the cam sensor? Which if im not mistaken the sohc heads were all the same 95-05 with slight differences.
so i guess my question is if our ngc pcm's can run a dohc ( seen it done on here by a few people) Why cant my sbec head do the same? I dont think the way it senses is any differnt between the two ( ngc, sbec)

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:07 pm

Nope, rpm is determined by crank position. Cam determines phase so that sequential injection can start on the stock ecu.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:41 am

esteinmaier wrote:Nope, rpm is determined by crank position. Cam determines phase so that sequential injection can start on the stock ecu.
so, the only thing im going to do is add an external regulator and a switch for the fan. Is that all ? The stock pcm appears to still be sending power to the crank sensor/ injectors/ tps being that the car runs.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:12 am

Sounds like it's willing to turn on asd with a signal of any kind. That is fine. Your presumptions are correct.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:45 am

Summit sells pretty cheap alternator regulators.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:41 pm

ZeroChad wrote:Summit sells pretty cheap alternator regulators.
purchased one yesterday :thumbup:

Return to “Tuning / MegaSquirt”