2002 Neon Tuned PCM Issues

Just install MegaSquirt or some other system that allows you to tune your car or just have a question about tuning and the options available? Feel free to ask it here.
MattB417
n00b

2002 Neon Tuned PCM Issues

Post by MattB417 » Fri Oct 16, 2020 4:56 pm

Hello all,

New to the forum but have done hours of research on this forum and others. I recently purchased a New (junkyard) AFX PCM for my 2002 Neon ATX circle track car. I know all the issues with Howell Automotive but they were the only ones for a 2002 I could find. After receiving the PCM, I sent it to Syked in WA for the VIN flash, as I was not comfortable with my local Dodge dealer flashing the VIN. After getting it back from Syked, I put it in the car and it trips the SKIM system and shuts down soon after starting. (yes, my car still functions with the original SKIM key). I only attempted to start twice. I put my old stock PCM back in and it runs just fine. Is there any additional steps that must be done to mate the PCM with the SKIM system? Can I get Syked to delete skim on the AFX PCM? What all do I have to unplug? Any Advice is appreciated!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: 2002 Neon Tuned PCM Issues

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 16, 2020 7:53 pm

Is Syked actually still flashing tunes?

If so, you'll need to return it to him, and have the SKIM feature disabled, then once you get it back, unplug the SKIM module in the steering column.

If the PCM sees the SKIM signal, it will once again lockdown. It automatically becomes a SKIM PCM once the SKIM and PCM communicate.

You could try to unplug the SKIM and see if it starts with the Syked tune, but chances are it has already gone into SKIM mode. But it is worth a try.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

MattB417
n00b

Post by MattB417 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 11:26 am

Thanks for your suggestions! The PCM is actually from Howell and Syked just flashed the VIN into it. In regards to unplugging the SKIM, is it just the SKIM module that needs to be unplugged? Doesn't SKIM work as designed if the VIN matches?

Thanks

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:29 pm

In a non SKIM car, the VIN does not need to match. 2000 to 2002 non SKIM cars are plug and play, no VIN flashing required.

But if the SKIM is there, and plugged in, the VIN and SKIM code has to match the car. VIN alone will not do it, the 4 digit SKIM code is also needed.

The issue with a non SKIM PCM being plugged in, is there is no 4 digit code stored for anything to match. So unless the SKIM can be turned off, (once that AFX PCM sees the SKIM module), and then the code entered and SKIM reactivated, it becomes a doorstop.

Or the SKIM shut off in the PCM, and just unhook the module. If it weren't for potentially keeping the stock PCM as a back up, I would just say remove it totally from the car.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:37 pm

Ryan B from PCM's Plus might be able to de activate SKIM, if unplugging the module and trying to start the car does not workout.

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=68676&p=1009020

I believe he can be found on Facebook also, if you have an account. I do not.

I don't know if he has moved on to SBEC PCM's since that thread was created or not.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Tuning / MegaSquirt”