Forced Induction

Read First! - All the commonly asked questions about the 2nd Gen Neon. Some of your questions may be asked and then answered in here!
quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Forced Induction

Post by quicksilvr » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:14 pm

Turbocharging

Q: What do I need to turbocharge my second generation Neon?

A: Turbocharging a vehicle is a great way to add a lot of power. And it is one of the best and most cost-efficient ways to make the 2.0 SOHC engines produce big horsepower. Below is a basic explanation of what is needed and why:

1. Turbocharger
2. Exhaust manifold with a flange that matches the flange on your turbo
3. Piping to get the compressed air into the intake manifold.
4. Fuel Management
5. Spark Management (not required but highly recommended)
6. Intercooler & piping (optional but highly recommended).

Those are the basics. There are many other things that will be necessary, depending on which turbocharger you use. Turbochargers themselves come in many shapes, styles and sizes. If it will fit between the engine and firewall, you can make it work in a Neon. Some are just much easier to install, setup and use than others. One of the most popular turbo's is the stock turbo from the 2003-2005 Dodge SRT-4. The SRT turbo only works in conjunction with the SRT exhaust manifold, otherwise known as a "turbofold". This is because the SRT turbo doesn't have a flange that can be bolted to any exhaust manifold...it is designed so that the manifold itself is used as part of the turbo housing. Hence, you cannot bolt an SRT turbo onto a generic T3/T4 turbo manifold flange.

Q: Can I put an SRT-4 turbo motor into my Neon?

A: Yes. It's been done many times, and it works great. Please visit this existing thread for more info.

SRT-4 Swap Info

Q: What kinds of turbo kits are there for my car?

A: I'm of the belief that the easiest way to learn about your options, and then how to actually undertake a turbo project is to read about what other people have done. So I'm going to provide several links to some good project logs. Most of these logs are long...but if you don't have the patience to read them, you don't have the patience to turbo your car. ;) These logs are all considerably different...but they are good references.

--2GN PROJECT LOGS--

Glasswars - ASP turbo kit: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=31872

Turbodudey - SRT4 turbo build, then a 20G, custom build: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=10692

esteinmaier - Huge turbo craziness: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=35295

GunmetalNeon - ASP turbo kit: http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=38078

Addicted2Boost - OBX custom turbo build:http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=38471

Also: Hahn Racecraft makes turbo kits for neons. If you're interested in one, simply give Hahn a call and be ready to show them the money. :thumbup:
Last edited by quicksilvr on Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:38 am, edited 5 times in total.

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:31 am

Nitrous

Nitrous has been installed on many Neon platforms. Since a nitrous install is fairly unique to the car it is installed on, and this type of forced induction makes up less than 1% of all Neons on this forum, it will not be covered in detail.

The Basic Definitions: A "dry" nitrous system will ONLY add nitrous into the intake charge. A "wet" nitrous system will add both nitrous and fuel into the intake charge. This is important, because the nitrous is simply a way to introduce more oxygen into the combustion chamber. And we know that with more O2, we have to have more fuel to avoid a dangerously hot, lean AFR (air/fuel ratio). Therefore dry systems should be used with extreme caution.

THE Q: How much of a shot can I run on my stock engine?

A: I say that is THE question, because it is by far the most common. The answer I state here is NOT absolute truth....bad things can and do happen for strange reasons. That said, if you spray when you're supposed to, a 50hp shot can be used on a stock Neon 2.0L. This is only at WOT (wide open throttle), in gears 2-4, above 3200 RPM and below redline. A 75hp shot has been used with no negative effects, but at that level you're taking more chances and must be even more careful how you drive.

quicksilvr
Former Moderator

Post by quicksilvr » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:05 am

Supercharging

Q: Can I supercharge my Neon?

A: Yes! Thanks to a lot of hard work and ingenuity....our very own BlackRoseRacing has successfully supercharged his 2gn Neon! :thumbup: Please realize that alot of what was done for this build required resources that are not easily available, and a ton of this work is completely custom. Meaning you can't just go buy a supercharger kit at Pep Boys.

This is really the first complete/correct supercharger install on a 2gn, and thankfully Chris created and maintained a very detailed project log for it. Here is the link....it is insanely long, so skip around at will.

viewtopic.php?t=5478

Return to “Second Generation FAQs”