Part Number Request: MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Part Number Request: MAGNAFLOW MUFFLER

Post by NickKo » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:35 pm

Hello, Everyone,

I am trying to locate the PART NUMBER for the dual-pipe Magnaflow muffler, which fell off the car, after the pipes rotted.
( My brother and I bought the Neon with the Magnaflow installed by the previous owners, so we don't know how old it was.)

The muffler that fell off the car, has NO visible part number on it anywhere.
I also looked at a Magnaflow in the possession of a friend, and there are NO part numbers on that, either.

I already have all the piping to replace the entire exhaust, but I'd like JUST the muffler.
All the on-line sites that I have looked at, sell the Magnaflow muffler WITH the piping.... and don't give a part number for the muffler. :(
The one that we had was the dual-exhaust pipe, 2 1/4" version, that looks similar to the factory R/T muffler.

Would anyone have the part number for *just* the Magnaflow muffler available ?

I figure that with that part number, I'll should be able to 'source' a replacement.

Thanks in advance, for any help !!

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:45 pm

12266?

viewtopic.php?t=58577&highlight=magnaflow

Hope that is what you are after. :)
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:40 am

THANK you, Bill !!
That link helps !! :)

Is p/n 12266 the 'Camaro' muffler ?
How does it sound on a Neon ?

This is more what I had in mind :
http://images.magnaflow.com/02product/p ... 801_lg.jpg

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shop ... &year=2001

The only problem is that the product description reads, "L4 2.0L; Sedan; Excl. SXT & w/ sway bars"
So, if I am reading the abbreviations correctly, that means, excluding SXT's with (rear) sway bars - Which I have on mine, of course.

The 'old' Magnaflow muffler ( the one that fell off the car after the pipes rotted ) had one of those stooopid 3-bolt flanges on the inlet end, coming from the engine.
I don't care for the 3-bolt flange, but it fit around the sway bars without any clearance issues - Plus, it would be easy, to just cut off the flange and use a swedge-type adapter or reducer to mate it with the piping. :)

Otherwise, I may have to do what others have done, and use a Camaro Magnaflow muffler or similar. Then, I could customize some exit pipes to fit - Which I am hoping to avoid, I'd like to find a true 'bolt-on' solution so I can put it together in my garage, if possible.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:26 pm

I know some manufacturer's early setups would not work with sway equipped cars, as their mock up car obviously wasn't equipped with one. To me, if they are too stubborn to modify their system, they deserve to lose out on a lot of sales.

It would keep me from spending that kind of cash if it said it didn't fit. That is 11 years later, and one has to wonder what kind of sales loss they have had over 11 years now. (Most likely, no one expected neons to still be around after 5 years.)

I'm sure any exhaust shop could modify the pipe enough to clear the sway, but that is an added cost out of your pocket, for a lack of market research fail on their part.

But I also recall reading it fit with a few tweaks somewhere, quite a while back. But I am not promising anything there.

I don't completely blame politicians for our economic state, perhaps some of that blame needs to go the the american corporations for their lack of flexibility, and short shortsightedness. /rant

To answer your other question...
Camaro Mufflers not reversible
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/disp ... mber=12266
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “PN Miscellaneous”