Dodge Dart news

Any sort of pictures or videos (no adult content!) that is not related to Neons go here.
occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Dodge Dart news

Post by occasional demons » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:53 pm

theColonel wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:50 pm
occasional demons wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:37 pm
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:26 pm
Are there any FCA products that you like?
Charger/Challenger.

But really not feasible (for me) as a DD, and way too expensive for a weekend toy. Until I win the lottery, neither will be in my stable.

IMHO, buying any of the Fiat platforms is no different than buying any other import brand that is made in the States. They all support American labor.
Corporate is going to look out for corporate, no matter what country they are based in.
I'm an old man in poor health, so it makes no sense to look for new cars. I can dream about owning a new gas-guzzling Dodge Charger,
but I'll never own one :D
If I had the income, and might only last a few more years, I would buy one, just to give them something more to squabble over when I'm gone. Of course whoever got it, would have to buy tires.... :lol:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

theColonel
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by theColonel » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:00 pm

Fiat Chrysler Recalls 298,000 Dodge Dart Sedans for Broken Shifter Cables

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a2724 ... lhaIEkgL2g
52 Chevrolet Styline Deluxe Sport Coupe
05 Dodge SRT-4

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon 'til it dies Club" Member 000079

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re:

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:06 am

theColonel wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:15 am
Midnight_Rider wrote:
Mark Phelan wrote:The Dart is also expected to ditch the unpopular continuously variable transmission it buys for the Dodge Caliber, Jeep Compass and Patriot.
Thank God! I've posted this before but the first Caliber I saw was at a dealership directly across the street from KTP and I thought that it was a real insult since it was equipped with an imported CVT instead of a Kokomo-built transmission. :tardbang:
You'd be even more insulted if you drove a Caliber with the "constant velocity transmission" :rofl: :rofl:

And yet the CVT in my mom's Caliber is one of the few things that have actually held up, besides the engine.

It has clocked many more miles than quite a few 41te/40te's ever have. :tardbang:

The 40te in her '04 Sebring only made it 140,000 miles, and about 7 years. 160,xxx miles, and 13 years the CVT is still going strong. Not bad for something that doesn't even have a dipstick to check fluid levels. And the Caliber gets better fuel mileage/performance than the Sebring.
racer12306 wrote:
Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:39 am
CVTs are the future.

People need to get used to them. They are far superior to geared automatics when built/programmed properly.

Sorry guys, but like it or not, Frank was right...

Subaru has extended the warranty on their CVT's beyond the rest of the components, even after the vehicle purchase. They wouldn't do that if they didn't have confidence in them.

The only thing I hate about the newer CVT's is the "simulated shift" they are programming into them. It takes away some of the advantage of the whole concept.

The biggest flaw with the Caliber isn't with the CVT, it's the crappy E throttle delay they have programmed into the throttle. That isn't the CVT's fault.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JeremyJ
2GN Member

Post by JeremyJ » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:45 pm

My parents' Patriot has the four cylinder with CVT. It's frustrating to drive. It seems to constantly be "shifting gears" at inopportune times. It makes accelerating difficult. I'd be curious to try out the Subaru CVT, since it's supposed to be one of the best units out there.
02 base -> 05 SRT ACR -> 96 sedan -> 99 R/T coupe -> 02 R/T -> 03 SRT

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:32 pm

Her Caliber seems to keep the revs up more than an ATX, but it still gets better fuel mileage. Mostly because the rpms may be higher, but it's keeping the engine in it's peak range, so it essentially isn't working as hard. The throttle is annoying, because between the delay in engine response, then the slight delay as the CVT moves "down a gear" makes it seem like the throttle is connected by a rubber band. It is a 2007 MY, so I don't know what changes they have made from then to the latest Patriots in that platform.

My friends bought a Patriot a few years back, and traded it within a year, due to little issues, and the roof leaking. I knew from my mom's experience with her Caliber they wouldn't keep it long. :lol:

They just traded the VW Beetle that replaced the Partiot on a 2020 Cherokee...

The Subaru CVT/throttle response is very well coordinated. My wife's Forester is fairly fun to drive, because it has pretty decent acceleration despite being "underpowered" by most reviewers. While it is rated as the same output as my slightly smaller 5 speed MTX Impreza, it will definitely pull on it, and leave it behind.

I like the way it drives as is, which is why I an sort of disappointed that they caved to the ignorant masses, and have begun to make simulated shifts as a standard feature. Her Forester also gets about 6 more MPG highway than my Impreza.

I don't know that I would put a throaty exhaust on a CVT, as it might get old fast. At least not on a Caliber/Compass/Patriot. Just by the way the engine revs, it would sound like a banshee most of the time. I really don't care how ATX's sound with a loud exhaust, so perhaps I am a bit biased in that respect. But I think it would be much worse.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

INVUJerry
2GN Veteran

Post by INVUJerry » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:51 pm

After my PT got totaled I had a maxima rental car with a CVT. When you would floor it, it would simulate shifts but would just go from 6500 to 5800 real short. While cruising it would stick at one RPM most of the time. It was unnerving coming from my PT with the 41te but I got used to it pretty quick.

My buddy greg put an exhaust on his moms caliber CVT and like you said, it sounded like a banshee snowmobile when he stood on it. 5700 RPMs and stayed there until the 1/4 was over.

Return to “Off-Topic Media”