Looks like it’s time for an engine swap

NachtRitter84
2GN Member

Looks like it’s time for an engine swap

Post by NachtRitter84 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:46 am

My recurring idle issue finally came back around on my ‘05 ATX SXT and I’ve got bottom end compression issues so yeah. I can grab an 80k mi 05 sxt engine locally or a 94k 2.4L non turbo vin type B from a ‘06 PT cruiser - I figure if I’m doing the swap anyway... a few questions on this:

It ‘should be’ fairly Plug and play since they use the same transmission?

Do I need to change my motor mounts or their positioning?
Will I need to do something with my shocks or struts to account for the higher engine weight?
Do I need to change the pcm? TPS sensor? IAC? Any of that fun stuff?
2005 SXT - ATX 2.4 NA Swap
2007 Jetta 2.5L Wolfsburg Custom
2022 Mazda 3i

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Looks like it’s time for an engine swap

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 am

2.4 swap will require the engine mounts/brackets, exhaust manifold, etc from the PT, so grab as much as you can. IIRC, you may even need the PS pump from the PT. I think the reservoir is a bit different than the neon unit.

Basically plug and play, as the engines are phased the same, unlike the 2002 older engines. The only thing you may need are larger injectors for the 2.4.

Either Mustang 5.0 injectors, or IIRC, Jeep 4.0 injectors. I got my injectors from Five-O- Motorsports. At the time, they were reasonable, and they were brand new injectors.

The 2.0 SOHC has 19 lb injectors, the 2.4 has 21lb injectors. A lot of people end up using 24lb injectors.

You will need a 2.0 DOHC intake manifold, or have to fab something to work. The PT and Stratus IM's will not fit in a neon. Then you may need to get a no 90º bottom half to make the manifold work in the neon. the 1st gen neons have the throttle body pointing up into the hood. An SRT manifold/TB can be used, but the runners are not optimum for a N/A engine.

The intake manifold is probably the hardest part of this swap into a 2gn neon.

If you are good with cutting up a plastic Stratus manifold, and epoxy gluing a 3" ABS tube, and adapting the TB to that, you can make you own IM for this.

You can get a piece of flat ABS plate, and bolt a Mustang TB directly to the IM, and make it a bit more simple, not having to deal with the bellows tube, and the TB mounted to the air filter box.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

NachtRitter84
2GN Member

Post by NachtRitter84 » Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:45 am

A bit of necro posting here but it’s in the same vein so I didn’t see a need for a new thread. I have a 2005 sxt with a blown motor and a 2.4l non turbo pt engine. Same deal as listed above? Both are from automatics. So as I understand it I will need:
PT:
motor mounts
Exhaust manifold
PS pump and reservoir
1GN:
Intake manifold
Mustang 5.0:
Injectors
Throttle body

Not sure what exactly is meant by needing PT Engine brackets

Am I missing anything?
2005 SXT - ATX 2.4 NA Swap
2007 Jetta 2.5L Wolfsburg Custom
2022 Mazda 3i

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:13 pm

The engine bracket is the part the PS pump/belt tensioner/ are on that's bolted to the engine covering the timing cover.

And the 2.4 DOHC engine must be 2003 to 2010.

I got away with the stock 21 lb injectors in my '99 swap, with the 58 psi fuel pressure regulator. But the 1gn PCM's are also tuned for 49 psi, as where 2001 up are tuned for 58 PSI.

You can try to see how the injectors that are in the 2.4 work out. If there are no lean codes, and it runs fine on the 2.0 neon PCM, then you might be able to save some money there. But if you go with a 60mm TB, Mustang or otherwise, then it might toss a lean code with the added airflow.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “HT Engine”