Who said Neons can't run e85???

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Wed May 28, 2008 9:31 pm

Bump...

OK, I might just not be paying attention, but I do have a question. two actually.

1) Does this swap still work with the 03-05 sxt's with the NGC's? I know they are notorious for being little bi**hes about anything foreign. I'm just curious how it adapts.

2) Is there a car that already has the 24lb injectors that I could pull them out of?
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed May 28, 2008 9:35 pm

My car is an NGC 04, so for the first question... yes it'll work on it.

As to what car to take them from, I'm unsure, maybe Erick can answer that?
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Wed May 28, 2008 10:02 pm

Ok, a little searching later and I think that the Stratus with it's 2.4 has 24lb injectors, and they should be a straight swap. correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll see if Erik can't verify that for me too. I'll have to do some searching at work to see what years work for it.
-Eric

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:06 pm

That sounds about right. Only thing really to pay attention to is the plug... if the plug fits, you can make it work. You'll need some longer bolts, and a spacer, so that the fuel rail will go back on and be held in place.
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Fri May 30, 2008 4:44 am

What about SRT injectors? I don't recall the lbs on those, but They'd be sufficient right?
-Eric

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:05 am

No clue at all. I’m actually going to be putting my stock injectors back in (going back to stock on almost everything) so if anybody wants ‘em let me know.

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Fri May 30, 2008 8:09 am

how much. I have no money, but I thought I'd ask.
-Eric

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:17 am

Well, I paid 40 for them a few months ago, and I have a spare fuel rail they’ll come in already… so call it 50 shipped (shipping should be right around 10 bucks, so I’m not making money for these, just getting my money back out of them)

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Fri May 30, 2008 8:44 am

well, if you're nice enough to hold on to 'em until I get a paycheck in mid June, I'd be glad to take them off your hands.
-Eric

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri May 30, 2008 8:47 am

I don't see that being a huge problem.

KrackstaR
Former Moderator

Post by KrackstaR » Fri May 30, 2008 11:54 am

ok iv been thinking about this for some time and i was wondering how would this work for an srt stage 1 set up and how would the e85 respond to my car performance wise? any help?
Bella Lugrossi wrote: there's a thin line between being a hero and being a memory. ;)

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri May 30, 2008 12:06 pm

You should gain performance as the alcohol in the fuel will cool the combustion chamber. It won't be a massive increase, but it may be noticable.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Fri May 30, 2008 2:58 pm

ejclide wrote:What about SRT injectors? I don't recall the lbs on those, but They'd be sufficient right?
Too big unless you have a return line and can drop the fuel pressure accordingly.
KrackstaR wrote:ok iv been thinking about this for some time and i was wondering how would this work for an srt stage 1 set up and how would the e85 respond to my car performance wise? any help?
Well, pretend you have race fuel and water injection all the time. Then you're right about the performance gain of e85.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

KrackstaR
Former Moderator

Post by KrackstaR » Fri May 30, 2008 3:07 pm

esteinmaier wrote:
ejclide wrote:What about SRT injectors? I don't recall the lbs on those, but They'd be sufficient right?
Too big unless you have a return line and can drop the fuel pressure accordingly.
KrackstaR wrote:ok iv been thinking about this for some time and i was wondering how would this work for an srt stage 1 set up and how would the e85 respond to my car performance wise? any help?
Well, pretend you have race fuel and water injection all the time. Then you're right about the performance gain of e85.
so what kind of injectors would I have to get to get this to work? and is it the same as the 2.0 computer i just have to reset it to get it to learn the air/fuel reading? and i currently hold about 20 psi and it creeps down to about 18 will that be safe to run on this set up? Thanks for your help so far on this, like i mentioned before im very intersted in doing this i just want to make sure its something easy/safe for the car.
Bella Lugrossi wrote: there's a thin line between being a hero and being a memory. ;)

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Fri May 30, 2008 5:12 pm

KrackstaR wrote:
esteinmaier wrote:
so what kind of injectors would I have to get to get this to work? and is it the same as the 2.0 computer i just have to reset it to get it to learn the air/fuel reading? and i currently hold about 20 psi and it creeps down to about 18 will that be safe to run on this set up? Thanks for your help so far on this, like i mentioned before im very intersted in doing this i just want to make sure its something easy/safe for the car.
Is it a straight SRT swap that you are running? Or do you have other tuning devices in use as well? Unless your fuel pump is not up to the challenge, all you need is 30% larger fuel injectors. The stock ECU will trim the rest to work right. Grab me on AIM if you are trying to figure it out better.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

blue demon02
2GN Member

Post by blue demon02 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:52 am

ejclide wrote:Ok, a little searching later and I think that the Stratus with it's 2.4 has 24lb injectors, and they should be a straight swap. correct me if I'm wrong, and I'll see if Erik can't verify that for me too. I'll have to do some searching at work to see what years work for it.
That is not correct. All the N/A 4 cylinder engines came with 19's.

KrackstaR
Former Moderator

Post by KrackstaR » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:49 pm

esteinmaier wrote:
KrackstaR wrote:
esteinmaier wrote: Too big unless you have a return line and can drop the fuel pressure accordingly.
Is it a straight SRT swap that you are running? Or do you have other tuning devices in use as well? Unless your fuel pump is not up to the challenge, all you need is 30% larger fuel injectors. The stock ECU will trim the rest to work right. Grab me on AIM if you are trying to figure it out better.
yeah its a srt swap with a stage 1 comp and i have a walbro upgraded fuel pump and the motor is from a 05 so i beileve they are the bigger injectors.

will do whats your AIM screen name?

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:06 am

time for a bump. got random1's injectors installed in my 05 ATX. it's running great so far. I even ran it for a little while the the 24 pounders and normal gas, and it seemed to run fine. I've got some diagnostic software now so I am going to run some tests to compare HP, torque, and mileage. Naturally, I'll keep you guys updated
-Eric

Mopar_Korean
2GN Member

Post by Mopar_Korean » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:54 am

So Ive tried my best to keep up with all the reply on this topic, But has anyone one experienced any sort of damage? I'm really temped to try this but I'm a little worried too. I don't want the ethanol eating through my fuel lines, tank, o-rings or something. lol
Imported From Detroit
2001 Dodge Neon
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:16 am

Erick has been using this setup for something like 40K miles without error, I used it for a few thousand without any errors... I think it's pretty much OK, nothing I'd worry about.

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Thu Sep 25, 2008 8:30 am

My fuel level sender went out, but neons tend to have that problem with gasoline too, so it's just an accelerated problem that already exists. The lines, gaskets, etc. have been great for me.

Mopar_Korean
2GN Member

Post by Mopar_Korean » Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:06 pm

Cool, thanks guys!
Imported From Detroit
2001 Dodge Neon
1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ar_joef
n00b

Post by ar_joef » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:51 pm

doing an E85 gas swap sounded good till i looked at gas prices.
its only 10cents cheeper here in UT!
even CA has it under $3

but with some good mods it still sounds good

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:20 am

ar_joef wrote:doing an E85 gas swap sounded good till i looked at gas prices.
its only 10cents cheeper here in UT!
even CA has it under $3

but with some good mods it still sounds good
Exactly, to convert for E85 and save $1 per tank full is not worth the time and money at all. Just like me stopping at the Indian reservation to buy cheaper fuel here locally, I save only $1 per tank to get cheaper gas Vs Name brand off the reservation....

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:05 am

Wow, only 10 cents around you guys? It's at least 50 cents a gallon cheaper around here...

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:25 pm

So it would be necessary to swap back to the 19# if you wanted to run normal pump gas again?
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:35 pm

I ran normal gas through the heavier injectors without issue for a couple days, HOWEVER, the car was sluggish and got bad gas mileage, so I'll say yes, keep your stock injectors if you think you'll want to switch back.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:49 pm

Just a heads up. 24# injectors with ev6 connectors (what we need) can be found on a lot of mustangs. They're frequently sold in sets of 8 on ebay.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

TheComeBackidd
2GN Member

Post by TheComeBackidd » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:51 pm

damn!!! gas is like 1.78 here in ohio!!

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:37 pm

Huh?

Return to “HT Engine”