How-To: wire up magnum intake manifold with MSD 8969 only.

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

How-To: wire up magnum intake manifold with MSD 8969 only.

Post by sneakers O'toole » Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:13 pm

this is for the people who don't want to bother with the WOT switch. i have it set up to open once from 4900-6800 RPMs and it works fine, you can only hear the intake sound get deeper at WOT though.

ok, here we go..

:EDIT: so yeah, i cleaned up the wiring on this and changed some things for an overall cleaner install. i also put the relay INSIDE the PDC and added quick disconnects to the wires noted with *.

MSD SWITCH:

*white wire: goes to the blue/pink wire on your coil pack harness. (this is your RPM reading)+(added quick disconnect)

*red wire: goes to the green/orange wire on your coil pack harness. (switched 12v source)+(added quick disconnect)

black wire: goes to ground. (i grounded mine on the ground next to the PDC)

yellow wire: goes to the yellow wire on the relay.

RELAY:

*pin 30/blue wire: goes to the gray wire (ground) on the MTV. (added quick disconnect)

pin 87/yellow wire: goes to MSD yellow wire.

pin 86/white wire: goes to ground. (again, i grounded mine on the ground next to the PDC)

pin 85/black wire: goes to 12v source. (hooked mine up to blue/white wire off the fuel pump relay in the PDC)

MTV:

*red wire: goes to pos. battery terminal.+(added quick disconnect) EDIT: i have since changed this to having it hooked to the pos. terminal on the PDC..

*gray wire: goes to the relay pin 30/blue wire.+(added quick disconnect)

i also hooked up a ricer LED as an indicator for the butterflies opening. easy to do, just hook the LED pos. to a 12v and hook the LED neg. to the MTV ground.

before = rats nest.

after = not so bad.
Last edited by sneakers O'toole on Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000004... or not..

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:28 pm

If you want a cleaner look, take the base off of the PDC, and uninsulated slide terminals will pop right into the empty slots in the terminal base of the PDC. Then you can plug the relay in like a factory look. Except the actual MTV relay is the smaller Omron type.
This would go where the fan relay is. Most neons have two extra relay spots, that just need wired. I have my driving lights wired this way. Any standard slide terminal should work. the PDC base has the tabs inside to lock the terminal in place. Just be sure to put the right wires in the right hole. To use the Omron relays, you will need to source another PDC to rob the connectors from, as I have yet to find a source for those. I have found the larger style, but not those. I think AutoZone sells a Ford terminal kit, that has maybe one in it, but I didn't think it was worth buying 5 of them to get the terminals needed.
This is the type, but these are too large:
http://www.delcity.net/images/photos/fu ... access/738

viewtopic.php?t=31498
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:01 pm

i'm going to be doing that soon it think. i have a spot labled for an mtv relay in the pdc, i also have like 10 of those omron relays..it just comes down to wiring it up correctly and getting those connectors.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:28 pm

:thumbup:

Getting those little connectors is the hardest part. I got lucky, and found a PDC on Ebay.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Fri Oct 02, 2009 4:17 pm

i have two pick-n-pulls near me so hopefully i can get lucky. :rockon:

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:31 am

so if i buy this i dont need a harlan rpm switch or will I. Im picking up a mag intake soon. I have an 05 sxt. I only ask cause modern says you need one (msd tach driver) Thanks

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:22 am

Apparently all you need is the MSD 8969. Seems to be working for sneakers O'toole. If you only need one part instead of two to get it done, why not?

It will open/close the butterfiles at the selected rpm's regarless of throttle position tho.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:34 am

Only thing missing here is the WOT switch that opens only at WOT.

So you could use it like this, but the butterflies would be opening/closing more often.
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:45 am

Correct. But only above 4900, or where you set the opening point.

So unless you are shifting above 4900 rpm, it isn't going to matter much. For conservative, to light moderate driving, it will not open.

With the MTX, I can get it going fairly well, shifting below 4000 rpm. An ATX may need a little more umph.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:13 am

yeah if i'm at or above 4900rpm's 99.99% of the time i'm wot anyway so i don't need a wot switch. i didn't bother setting it to open twice...you aren't going anywhere in a hurry if you floor it at 2k anyway..plus wiring sucks, the less i have to do, the better, lol.

@Caraudioholic24- yeah i don't know why modern says you need the tach adapter...maybe call them and make sure it's the 8969.

you can use either the harlan OR the msd 8969, they both do the same thing, but the harlan is a good bit cheaper price-wise, and neither unit needs a tach adapter. i think someone on here is selling a harlan with a relay for real cheap.

:edit: found it

:edit x2: the msd 8969 does NOT work right with a screamin' demon coil pack. haven't tried the msd or granitelli yet so i can't speak for those two, but they're supposed to be stock replacements so who knows. i'm about to get one of the two so i guess we'll find out :tardbang:

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:44 am

Oh yea. Yea im probably gonna grab that harlen switch set it to a lower rpm like 3900-4000 and work with it from there. If need be I can add the wot switch.

So adding the switch would be like an extra help though when I want to pass someone. I dont know If I have to Ill do it all at once. Keeps us posted on the msd coilpack. Does anyone have a link for the harlen switch and wot. Thanks again

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:16 pm

Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:42 pm

I don't know why it wouldn't work with the screamin demon coil pack. Its only receiving the signal to the coilpack, it should work regardless of the pack I would imagine.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:50 pm

that's what i thought too. the only thing i can think of....doesn't the SD coil pack voltage stay constant throughout the rpm's where the stock coil pack voltage drops a certain amount as the rpms go up? but i could be wrong.

edit: i just saw in your garage that your running an SD coil....wtf..maybe i'll try it again today after work...

edit x2: i also just remembered your using a summit switch and not the msd..

edit x3: just realized quicksilvr had a SD coil with the 8969...grr, wtf..im gonna try it again today.

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:29 pm

edited for cleaner wiring.

Kelevra
2GN Member

Post by Kelevra » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:37 pm

I'm confused... How did you get this to work when 87 is the N/O terminal and 85 and 86 are the coils and 30 being your common.

Shouldn't the MSD signal wire (yellow) be wired to 86 to activate the one side of the coil when the RPM range is met and a 12vdc on 85 thus activating the switch so current runs from 87 to your common 30?

At least this is my understanding :beatstick:

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:20 pm

85 is the power for the relay, 86 is the ground for the relay, the msd activates 87 (the switch in the relay, which is powered by 85 and 86), which closes the mtv ground (30) and activates the butterflies. without the ground closed, the butterflies stay closed. the only connection between the rpm switch and relay should be to pin 87.

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:26 pm

Could pin 85 go to the same 12V source as the red wire on the MSD switch (coil pack harness)?

I am not too concerned with things being pretty...just want it to work, while messing with as few wires as possible.
Jerome

'03 SXT...DODGE NEON CONES

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #067

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:15 pm

hmm... i suppose it could... don't quote me though, lol. if it was hooked up that way, i would think the relay would only have power when the car is running then... just like the RPM switch..

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:00 pm

I will try it and find out... I can't think of a reason the relay would need power all the time.
Jerome

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:47 pm

i just tried to stay as close as possible to the stickies.... a blown fuel pump relay and a burned out rpm switch later... i got it, haha.

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:10 am

sneakers O'toole wrote: a blown fuel pump relay and a burned out rpm switch later... i got it, haha.
How did you do that?

I did everything just like your diagram except I wired pin 85 to the green/orange wire on your coil pack harness along with the red wire from the MSD and it works like a charm.

I was worried that it might lose the programming after I turned off the car, but so far it hasn't. Will see what happens after it sits overnight, but I don't think it will be an issue.

I do need to have the car on to program the MSD though (not sure if you do the way you have it wired up). I set the MSD to open at 5K and close at 7K. I tried a run with it opening at 4.5K and you could hear it open but it still didn't start moving until about 5K so I set it back to 5K. Might drop to 4.8 tomorrow and see how that feels. It is easy enough to change so I might as well play with it :rockon:
Jerome

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:48 am

So the way you have this wired right now sneakers, the switch is always getting power from the battery? Isn't that going to drain it? :o
www.JohnyR.net - Web development

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:43 am

Jerome, I have no idea.. I was in the car and my friend was switching wires around to try and get the RPM switch to read the RPMS and he touched the wrong two wires together and poof.. Relay and switch.. Fried.. $100 out the window, lol. Good idea on wiring the relay to the coilpack harness along with the switch... Much easier than splicing it into the fuel pump relay..

Johny, Nah, I'm getting power for the MSD from the coilpack harness. So the switch is only on when the car is. And the relay gets its power from the positive wire of the fuel pump relay in the PDC... Also only on when the car is. Jerome used the coilpack harness for BOTH switched 12v sources.. Which is easier and makes more sense than tearing into the PDC, lol.

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:15 pm

Ah gotcha, makes sense. I was going to wire it to the battery but what you did makes more sense. Thank ya :D

Edit, how the heeeeeeell did you pull out the wires from the coil plug lmao, I can't seem to do it

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:59 pm

i didn't pull them out of the plug, to hell with that, lol. i just took off the tape and shit on the harness, spliced into the wires i needed, and re-wrapped it.

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:25 pm

Hahahah, I actually just did it. Didnt really take too long, just opened it up and stuck a wire in there. Worked fine, but I think I programmed my thing wrong LOL oh well, easy fix.

Now to find more wires to make it look cleaner..
Thanks for the how-to sneakers, worked like a charm :D

Jerome Adams
2GN Member

Post by Jerome Adams » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:36 pm

Make sure it is set to 2 cycle, then set the opening and closing RPM...I went with 5K and 7K cuz I like nice round numbers...and you should be good to go...do a few pulls and you will know if it works...shit gets LOUD when the butterflies open, and you go a little faster too
Jerome

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:45 pm

Wait, you mean set it to 2 cylinders? Why not 4? :o

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:09 am

Because our engines only use two coils. (Unless you have sequential COP)
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “HT Engine”