How to change your fuel filter/regulator

Scratch
n00b

How to change your fuel filter/regulator

Post by Scratch » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:58 am

Hi guys I'm fairly new to the site and I wanted to share something that gave me a ton of trouble when I first got my Neon: The fuel filter/regulator.

(1) Notice how bad your Neon is running.
(2) Order this part.
http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/ ... fgod3C4ArA
(3) Uncap your fuel tank and pull your fuel pump relay fuse (Pretty sure that's what it's called).
(4) Start your car and wait for it to die. If it won't start that's fine. This step is just depressurizing your fuel system.
(5) Disconnect the battery and jack up your car. You can go ahead and recap your tank and insert your relay fuse thing now if desired.
(6) Now crawl under the passenger side of the car and look for the part. It's between the front and back passenger side wheels, if I remember correctly, sitting close to the outer body.
(7) Just unplug the wires and tubing, rotate the part, and slide out your old filter/regulator. It's pretty self explanatory when you're looking at it. Be careful, there is still some fuel in the part and it may drain out on you.
(8 ) Insert your new filter/regulator, connect it up, lower your car, reconnect the battery and enjoy.

Note: I'm no mechanic and I apologize if I've misnamed anything or not been clear enough in my explanations.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Re: How to change your fuel filter/regulator

Post by NickKo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:53 am

That's a good price for a new Fuel Pressure Regulator !!! :)

I have a question:
Scratch wrote: I wanted to share something that gave me a ton of trouble when I first got my Neon: The fuel filter/regulator.

(1) Notice how bad your Neon is running.
What kind of issues or symptoms were you having ?? :-k Was it hard to start, or were there other symptoms as well ??

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Scratch
n00b

Post by Scratch » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:33 pm

Well my car was losing power. I'd step on the gas and it was like driving a sled. Along with that my MPG decreased and my car made this sputtering kind of noise when rapidly accelerating or going uphill. The AC increased that. It was the kind of noise that says, "Hey I'm not getting enough fuel and/or air in here."
I had two mechanics tell me there was no fuel filter at all and it was probably something much worse. One even offered to do an aftermarket kit and splice a filter into the fuel lines!
The actual repair takes about 20 minutes and as you said it's pretty cheap.
After I swapped parts my car ran like new! It made a HUGE difference in performance and my MPG must have jumped by at least 3-5.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:39 pm

Scratch wrote:Well my car was losing power. I'd step on the gas and it was like driving a sled. Along with that my MPG decreased and my car made this sputtering kind of noise when rapidly accelerating or going uphill. The AC increased that. It was the kind of noise that says, "Hey I'm not getting enough fuel and/or air in here."
I had two mechanics tell me there was no fuel filter at all and it was probably something much worse. One even offered to do an aftermarket kit and splice a filter into the fuel lines!
The actual repair takes about 20 minutes and as you said it's pretty cheap.
After I swapped parts my car ran like new! It made a HUGE difference in performance and my MPG must have jumped by at least 3-5.
Interesting. :-k Thanks for that 'feedback' !!!

I think it's time I change the FPR on my 2000 MTX, then. :D

- Nick

Scratch
n00b

Post by Scratch » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I realized I forgot to mention 2 more symptoms:
1 Low idle RPMs
2 And yeah the car did take a bit more to start...but only on cold mornings.

I'm glad I can help!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:22 pm

That's almost too good of a price for the 58 psi FPR. For a 49 psi, it is not too far off. I just figure since dealer price isn't much more for 49's, I just get those from the dealer. 58's are usually more like ~$100+
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:53 pm

While we are on the topic of FPR's, I thought I should post some useful information.

Referenced in this thread:
http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f25/car ... ost8445919

This gentleman was kind enough to post a photo of the following.

Sometimes, the *little* black O-Ring that is on the end of the FPR, comes off during removal, and stays lodged inside the opening, where the FPR 'seats'.
If this happens - The engine will not start. :!:

Fortunately, this does not seem to happen very often; but it can happen; so it's something to keep an eye out for.

Word of Advice:
Check to make sure the O-ring comes out with the Fuel Pressure Regulator, during removal.

- Nick

Return to “HT Engine”