Run Stand Hookup

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Run Stand Hookup

Post by jacoblindsay » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:27 pm

I would like to run a rebuilt engine on stand, but I need to know how to wire things up to get it started. How would I hookup the ecu, engine wiring harness, starter to power without using the fuse box?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Run Stand Hookup

Post by occasional demons » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:57 am

You're going to need to get a donor wire harness for the platform that supports your engine (SBEC or NGC), and pull out/shorten the wiring needed to plug into the sensors and PCM connectors. The engine stand bracket will have to have enough clearance to allow the flexplate and flywheel to turn.

You'll need a separate or integrated panel on the engine stand to mount the PCM and run grounds between the engine and the panel/battery.

At the minimum, you'll need the PCM and sensor connectors with pigtails, and a wiring schematic, if you don't want to dissect a wiring harness to harvest what wiring you need. Either way, about the only way you will get all the connectors needed is to obtain the harness.

If it is NGC, then you'll need the SKIM module, and all the related for that too.

I have attached a starter to crank an engine to do a cold compression test, but I just had it sitting on a bench, and never considered trying to fire it up.

You would be better off making a box frame to mount the engine in, because the torque will probably topple an engine stand just revving it.

If you have been in an older V8 rear wheel drive car, and revved it, you know what I am talking about. It will rock the car. Transverse mounted engines do not do this, because it would need to lift the entire length of the car. On a stand, you do not have the weight of the car to keep it from wanting to spin. But a box frame will hold it pretty stable. And if it is already on the floor, it can't fall to far. :lol:

Edit: You want to include the flywheel, so it keeps it stable. Otherwise the IAC might have it going all over the map trying to idle smoothly.

Not sure what you could do if it is an ATX application. The TC cant be bolted on without the trans to support the internals.

Maybe get a junk modular clutch from a JY for cheap, to bolt to the flexplate.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

jacoblindsay
2GN Member

Re: Run Stand Hookup

Post by jacoblindsay » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:04 pm

Yikes!!! That's a little more work than I would like to do. I like the idea of just mounting a starter on, this way I can at least check oil pressure and flush the oil before it ever runs. I also wanted to flush the coolant passages throughout the engine, any recommendations on how to do this without running the engine? I thought about just sticking a hose in the water inlet and flushing it out the thermostat housing this way it has to fill ever passage before it makes its way out. Maybe do a couple of hot water flushes with solvent in them too. I understand flushing the oil and coolant systems isn't entirely necessary to do before the engine ever runs, but I took a long time rebuilding it and I fear foreign particles may have found their way into the engine.

Return to “HT Engine”