How-To: $20 Catch Can

keeders08
2GN Member

Post by keeders08 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:43 am

Dukk wrote:Ok, so I read this and am thinking - why does one want to do this? What is the benefit? Yes it keeps oil mist out of the intake manifold but is there some performance or drivability reward?
hmm...interesting question...

I'm gonna go out on a limb and just say, healthier engine? maybe the oil makes a sort of restriction for the intake... thats my best guesses...

Somebody let me know if ne of that could be true... plz
Keeders
[KUTTER AUTO]
Formerly Of Warner Robins/Bonaire, Ga
aaaw no son, not a bacon slice!!

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:47 am

With our engine's, its more than just a mist...
Every time you do a right hand turn, the oil sloshes into the pcv valve and in turn gets sucked into the intake manifold. If your curious on how much, pull your TB off and shine a flash light down into the manifold, you will more than likely see a puddle of motor oil sitting on the bottom of the manifold.
Now you see the puddle, just imagine what was actually sucked into the intake and burned in the combustion process. The point of the catch can is to seperate the oil from the blow-by thats intended to get sucked into the intake.
The whole point of the PCV (positve crankcase ventilation) system is to re-burn the blow-by thats produced during the combustion process, not the motor oil that gets sucked out of the valve cover....

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Fri May 30, 2008 9:33 pm

Upon seeing this thread (and the link for the jegs kit), I finally found a use for my jegs gift certificate that's been rotting away... So for all of you who were thinking about the jegs, even though it's 30 dollars more... I'll let you know if it's crap. I can't imagine it not working if a 20 Dollar one works great, but I'll update on my findings. I just got it in today. Here were all the goodies.
here's the unit together with the nifty little bracket
and here's the unit semi installed after I snapped the screws holding the bracket on (damn it, why'd I use a makita, stupid stupid stupid)
I think ultimately I'd like to have the hoses run into the airbox and hide the separator in there. sound cool? I also had a very hard time getting the hose over the nipple behind the throttle body. any tricks I should try?
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri May 30, 2008 11:21 pm

Just keep an eye on that polycarbonate bowl. I had a set-up like that. The poly and the oil/combustion by-products don't get along. My bowl cracked and was leaking oil all over. On your set up it will cause a nice vacuum leak. By cracked I don't mean just one. It looked like someone smacked it repeatedly. Maybe Jeg's has a different composition bowl...
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:26 pm

While I never had a problem with the bowl cracking.

If you check out my project log you will see what I did with my BWoody catch can. It's right in the air box and completely hidden. I wanted to do nicer holes for the hoses, but I didn't have grommets big enough.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Sat May 31, 2008 4:29 pm

I think once I get home for the summer I'll get some 90 degree elbows, and then I've got a cool Idea cooking in my head for how I can mount it in the airbox. I'll post a pic here once it's done
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat May 31, 2008 9:27 pm

Maybe it was just my bowl. :tardbang:
Another thing I found was the filter that's in a lot of those will wick the oil straight through, and hardly any gets into the bowl. I suspected something was up because it quit collecting oil like it used to, so I took the filter out, it was saturated. Then the oil fill returned to normal, until the bowl self destructed. Just some stuff to keep an eye out for.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

socalwb
n00b

Re: How-To: $20 Catch Can

Post by socalwb » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:58 pm

wouldn't it be better to place the pcv valve in the back of the valve cover and still run the same setup? i think there would be less oil build up in the $20 catch can.
MOPAR OR NO CAR!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:23 pm

The hole in the back has less baffles to prevent the oil splash from the rockers from slinging it right into the opening. IIRC it is shielded, but as an air intake this doesn't matter. The only good solution I hear is to replace the cover with a 1gn style. And that will only keep the oil from hard cornering out, not the oil vapor, as the '95 engine had a catch can from the factory for a reason. My guess is the reason they eliminated it from production is cost, and the multitudes of sheep would never empty it anyways. Let alone ever lift the hood. :roll:
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:41 pm

occasional demons wrote:The hole in the back has less baffles to prevent the oil splash from the rockers from slinging it right into the opening. IIRC it is shielded, but as an air intake this doesn't matter. The only good solution I hear is to replace the cover with a 1gn style. And that will only keep the oil from hard cornering out, not the oil vapor, as the '95 engine had a catch can from the factory for a reason. My guess is the reason they eliminated it from production is cost, and the multitudes of sheep would never empty it anyways. Let alone ever lift the hood. :roll:
Quiet. That's what makes us special. The dumb masses. Without them we'd be normal. :quotes:
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

socalwb
n00b

Post by socalwb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:23 am

i just completed the $20 - $25 catch can system today with everything listed by racer12306. the only difference is i ran the pcv valve out the back of the valve cover instead of the stock location on the side. (our cars, stock, cant create enough force to push oil out the back like the side on a hard right) then where the pcv use to be, stock, ran the tube from there straight to the stock air box. haven't got a chance yet to really test this out since i just finished it tonight, but taking a trip here in a week to cali, 1000 mi. trip, and i'll see how it goes.
MOPAR OR NO CAR!

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:50 am

Let us know how it goes.
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:08 pm

Won't doing it that way send all the oil into the airbox?

Just as bad imo.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

socalwb
n00b

Post by socalwb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:28 pm

well i just thought of today is what if u put another pcv valve there or just a breather? that might cure it.
MOPAR OR NO CAR!

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:33 pm

breather: oil will still seep out of the breather.

the pcv valve may help, but you would have to try it.

i don't see what the big thing with putting the catch can inline with the OEM design pcv system. :shrugs:
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum Behavior

C1DoG
2GN Member

Post by C1DoG » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:25 pm

I definitly have to get a catch can. I took off the hose from the crank case to right after the TB and yeaup there is oil in the line. I will probably go ahead and put in two, for there and for the line to the CAI
just to be safe. I don't need to take it back in for sludge build up.

Update... I got 2 of the air/oil seperators from Jegs. They have been installed for about a week now, so so far there are no cracks or such. Just oil in the one running from the pcv. I have them both on the drivers side since I have a cai. If I have any problems with it, I will post about it.
Drove my neon until it was killed in a flood.

Return to “HT Engine”