OBX Overhaul and Modification for Axle Clips

Jamie
2GN Member

OBX Overhaul and Modification for Axle Clips

Post by Jamie » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:41 pm

PART 1

PLEASE bare with me, I want this to be thorough so i will be putting this together in parts and editing as I go.... EDIT, I think I may have it finished!

J :rockon:

Undo bolts and remove top

Pull out passenger side axle gear, Notice the side up and groove is towards inside of diff for axle clip

This is what is underneath, two gears that the belleville washers are under

Remove the small gear inside on top of the washers to expose them. Note that at this time there is no bevel on the gear in my fingers. With it like it is, the axle will not slide in far enough to lock the clips.

The infamous Belleville washers. These shown are the New upgraded washers

Stick your finger in the hole...lol and pull out the stack. Note mine are )()().

remove the bottom little gear. Both top and bottom are the same size. ONLY ONE needs beveled.

remove the large gear that the smaller washer gears sat in

you are looking at the passenger side axle gear. It is not beveled and if you put a clipped axle inside there, it would not come out. That needs to be beveled to an angle.

go ahead and pull these spiral gears out and set them aside. removing them makes it easier to move the base when test fitting the axle

Pull out the passenger axle gear

This is where we will bevel a smooth angle. The goal is to angle the splines back so the axle clip will not hang on the strait edge of the splines.

we want it to look similar to this side, no idea why they wont do both sides but whatever...

order everything goes back in (DONT PUT BACK IN YET) starting bottom left then bottom right then left to right...

If you have not had your LSD prepped (i had turbosunleashed do mine and they did a great job!) now is the time to do it. clean up any excess casting flash, and if you have the tools, run a tap into the bolt holes to clean them up. If you dont have the tools, Turbosunleashed overs a service to overhaul it for you.

all of the parts lined up

Take a socket wrapped in tape and shove it into the center of the axle gear. Make sure you have it strait as possible. Place in a lathe or something that will spin true, drill will work also. Use a dremmel with an angled grinding stone and remove the edge to give a slope similar to the front side of the axle gear. Like so...

outside of passenger side axle already beveled by OBX.

our beveled pax axle gear

Drivers side axle gear is beveled on mine on both sides. the problem with the inside bevel is that the bevel is too sharp. The axle clip still gets stuck and will not come out. So take your dremmel and custom socket/tape tool and make the bevel more laid back than original. Yours may not have any angle to it at all. In that case, bevel it like you beveled the pax axle gear, no sweat. This is the outside that is fine. The next picture shows what to do to the inside.

Here I beveled the inside some more to allow the axle clips to slide on and off. Take your axle and test fit the bevel as you go. Any lip on the bottom of the splines will cause the axle clip to get stuck so bevel it all of the way down to the base for a smooth transition.

The Infamous belleville washers again.

PART 2

How the washers sit inside of the carrier gear

Bellevilles sit inside the two gears in the recessed area.

How they will sit inside the center of the LSD. Note the top halve has been beveled. This is because the bevel from OBX wasnt enough to allow the axle to seat all of the way. So I touched it up and now it does as you will see in later pictures.

Note the beveled on on the left and the untouched one on the right. Gauge how much needs to be beveled by placing the axle gear on the axle until the clip engages then place the washer gear that you beveled and make sure it sits flush against the axle gear. if it doesn't, bevel it out a touch more.

only bevel one, the other should remain untouched

This is the axle clip that holds the axle in. This is what we DONT want to get stuck inside the differential.

you can see our beveled edge that has a smooth transition with nothing for the clip to get hooked on.

Slide your gear on to test fit and check the bevel. Do this often, you dont want to have to try to pick it out with dental tools to compress the clip because you didnt make the bevel slope enough. What I did was ran it in backwards. Meaning I put the reccessed end in first, that way I know it wouldnt go forward if the edge was to sharp. So see how it is oriented in the picture below, turn the gear around so you are placeing the axle into your freshly beveled side. If it slides in with out hanging, congratulations! If it hangs, bevel some more and test fit again.

Once you get your bevel set correctly, and the above process works for both sides, slide your drivers side axle in correctly like pictured above. slide it on the axle until the clip clicks. It should look like this.

Now look at your two washer gears.

If you dont bevel the edge of the drivers side washer gear (both are the same size so just pick one to be the drivers side and bevel it) then you will see the 1/16th" gap. That gap is enough to not let the axle clip engage when the case halves are put together. see the gap

better picture of the gap

now align your beveled washer gear and test fit it

It should sit flush like so

PART 3

Ok, when you are satisfied with your beveling of your axle gears and your ONE drivers side washer gear (like I said just pick one) It's time to put it back together and test fit your axles.

Now if you removed your lower spiral gears place them back in their recesses with the holes in the center facing up. Also note in this picture the dowl pin standing strait up.

That pin aligns the case halves to this hole that is not machined for bolts

so next we will place our pax side axle gear into the lower case. make sure the recessed edge that we beveled is facing up. That is where the axle clip will engage.

Like so

Next place the large gear that the washer gears go into, into the lower case

place your UNBEVELED washer gear in with the recessed side up so your washers will sit in the middle.

stack your washers back in Mine re )()() with the ) on the drivers side.

Now take your beveled washer gear and place it on top of the washers, inside the bigger gear.

Place your upper spiral gears back into the case

Now place your drivers axle gear into the spiral gears with the recessed side down.

Now here is what I did to verify final axle fitment. I bolted the case together with medium pressure with 4 bolts, basically enough to hold it together. Then I placed the drivers side axle into the drivers side of the case.

Push the axle in until it clicks. If the axle bottoms out and the clip does not click then you need to bevel the washer gear more because you did not have it beveled enough for it to sit flush against the axle gear. If you get lucky and slide the axle in the case and the axle clip engages on the first shot congratulations! Ill drink a beer to that! It should look like this. It will have just a very slight touch of play not alot at all expecially compared to the passenger side.

Now if the passenger side engaged and you can remove the axle from the diff with only a reasonable amount of pressure, meaning the clip isnt getting stuck then test fit the passenger side. the passenger side should slide in and click with no problems. What we are looking for is that both axle clips engage, hold the axles in, and then the axles can be removed.

When you are satisfied with your axle fitment, take each bolt and put a dab of blue thread locker and torq each to 28ft.lbs. Let sit for the specified curing time for the thread locker and away you go!

I have a video that I made showing the axles locking in and pulling out. When I figure out how to load it on here I will share it with everyone else.
I hope this helps some people who were considering an OBX differential for their car. Good luck and as always If you don't feel comfortable working on your car for something like this talk to a pro, this is for information only and may or may not have every think you need, or warranty for the information contained.

Got any questions just give me a shout!

J :rockon:
Last edited by Jamie on Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I need some quality entertainment...wheres the bar...

:drunk:

Ntyvirus1
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Ntyvirus1 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:24 pm

very detailed writeup and very useful information.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000038

hul kogan wrote: And from thy shadows he comes to rippeth thine buttholes. :lol
MoxHair wrote:You should never throw parts at a car.. You'll dent the exterior.

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:16 pm

Epic Howto! Very well done man. I've never found all of this information in one spot before.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

Jamie
2GN Member

Post by Jamie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:30 am

Yeah the information is very widely spread out. Glad I could help. The socket tape tool idea came from a guy, Mr. Tom Vandy from neons.org. I must give credit where credit is due! But now everything is in one place and it doesn't matter if it is a 1gn or a 2gn, the diff is the same.

Good luck
J

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:49 am

thanks for posting this, i needed some good verification photos to ensure mine was done right and make sure my washers where installed properly. I'm tempted to rehost the images just so they are never lost, damn good writeup! :thumbup:

btw can you tell me the size/pitch/grade of the OBX housing bolts? as one of mine was different than all the others and is a lesser grade bolt and i'd like to have them all the same for insurance.
Last edited by r/tguy02 on Wed Dec 08, 2010 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:02 pm

great write up :thumbup:
What's got me baffled, if this is a Limited slip, where are the clutches?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:10 pm

It is technically more torque biased, through the gears, rather than using clutches. The springs/gears are what creates the "resistance".
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:01 pm

have to admit, nice writeup!
just figured id let you all in on a secret, the 420a eclipse came in a 3:94 and they came from the factory with limited slip.

If you read on the internet some people will say its "impossible" to put a 420a eclipse transmission in our cars but i assure you its been done by my neighbor :rockon:
Haganracing wrote: Love you Cody, even if you fail in life <3
Leighvi424 wrote:omg cody i think u gave me a woodie :P
2004 dodge neon-300whp and counting

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:07 pm

XxWhiteNeonxX wrote:If you read on the internet some people will say its "impossible" to put a 420a eclipse transmission in our cars but i assure you its been done by my neighbor :rockon:
an uneducated person might say that, its been done before nothing new. They can be swapped both ways.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

XxWhiteNeonxX
2GN Member

Post by XxWhiteNeonxX » Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:15 pm

r/tguy02 wrote:
XxWhiteNeonxX wrote:If you read on the internet some people will say its "impossible" to put a 420a eclipse transmission in our cars but i assure you its been done by my neighbor :rockon:
an uneducated person might say that, its been done before nothing new. They can be swapped both ways.
yea i know lol. what i was trying to get at is the eclipse comes with lsd. so if anybody really wants lsd they can just pick up an eclipse tranny.
Haganracing wrote: Love you Cody, even if you fail in life <3
Leighvi424 wrote:omg cody i think u gave me a woodie :P
2004 dodge neon-300whp and counting

Jamie
2GN Member

Post by Jamie » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:50 pm

I believe the correct term is a torque biasing differential... meaning it sends power to the wheel with the best traction, however if one wheel is spinning the other wont spin. so it is still possible to have one wheel spin while the other is stopped. 0x0 still equals zero type thing. lsd is still easier to say while being quick.

I actually looked into the diff for the eclipse but there wasnt one near by and this was about as cost effective for me.

as far as the pitch of the bolt, I dont know off hand. I do know they have 12.9 stamped on the head and they use a 6mm hex socket

by the way, if someone can tell me a good place to upload a quick 2 minute video Ill post the video of the axle clips engaging and releasing.

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:44 pm

so the LSD offered is not really an LSD, it's basically loading both axles with a spring type load like Ford used in there diffs.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:28 am

Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:37 pm

Does anyone have any information about the lsd install to add to the post? I can't find much about shimming and preload.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:36 pm

I can't remember who, but someone posted up the whole bearing preload process on neons.org years ago. Dig on there for a bit.
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:34 pm

esteinmaier wrote:I can't remember who, but someone posted up the whole bearing preload process on neons.org years ago. Dig on there for a bit.
You must be talking about Vitor's How-To:

http://dope.dhs.org/Car_Stuff/Tech_Arti ... ow-To.html

Pics:
http://dope.dhs.org/car_stuff/Tech_Arti ... ap_How-To/

Also, don't forget 'Drakito' on 'The.Org':
http://forums.neons.org/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=327922

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

esteinmaier
Supporting Vendor

Post by esteinmaier » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:02 pm

Win! I knew I could count on you for knowing where to find something, Nick. Be sure to make it tonight!
ASP - First NGC SOHC in the 13s and the 12s. First SOHC neon over 500whp. First NGC Neon on MS.
Winston Churchill wrote:Yes, Madam, I am drunk, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly.

Jamie
2GN Member

Post by Jamie » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:23 pm

Sorry, I was sleeping at the wheel on this one. Vitor's how to is spot on. I used the FSM which is where he got it from. Instead of using that special tool that expands inside the diff, I just used that taped up socket to "make" the special tool. took my inch lbs torque wrench and followed the FSM procedure. wasnt hard at all.

Return to “HT Drivetrain”