How-To: Lower control arm bushing replacement

nodestiny
2GN Member

How-To: Lower control arm bushing replacement

Post by nodestiny » Wed Dec 28, 2005 3:17 pm

I have seen one, but it isnt very detailed, nore complete. Anybody have one yet? Writen or with pics, or both! If not... guess what ill be doing soon ;)
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:13 pm

wich bushing? the rear one that always goes bad in the Pt's?

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:14 am

All of em that come with a prothane or energy kit! :D
NoDestiny: 2004 SXT Silver MTx: CAI, Mag Intake, Mag header, Custom made mufflers, Grounding kit, Mopar STS, boogers, Eibach springs, Rear SRT4 struts, 29mm + 24mm hotchkis sways, MPx UPD, Street Prothane MM, P-werks rear strut tower bar, Lots of fun goodies inside, see WWW

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:04 am

good luck...
The rear one that looks like a hockey puck:

DISASSEMBLY - LOWER CONTROL ARM (REAR ISOLATOR BUSHING)
NOTE: The removal and installation of the rear isolator bushing from the lower control arm is only to be done with the lower control arm removed from the vehicle (Refer to 2 - SUSPENSION/FRONT/LOWER CONTROL ARM - REMOVAL). The front isolator bushing is not serviceable.

NOTE: To maintain better control when removing the rear isolator bushing, it works best to mount Ball Joint Press, Special Tool C-4212F, in a vise.

Install the Receiver Cup, Special Tool 9356-4, into the cup of the Ball Joint Press, Special Tool C-4212F, and tighten the set screw (Tools Positioned For Bushing Removal).
Install the Remover, Special Tool 9356-2, on the tip of the Ball Joint Press screw-drive.
Install the Reaction Plate, Special Tool 9356-3, over the end of the control arm so that the arrows on the Reaction Plate point toward the bushing flange on the bottom of the arm as shown (Reaction Plate Installed On Arm).
Place the Reaction Plate (on the lower control arm) against the outer flange of the Receiver Cup as shown (Tools Positioned For Bushing Removal). Line up the arrows on the Reaction Plate with that on the Receiver Cup and tighten the Press screw-drive until the Remover contacts the outer circumference of the bushing (Tools Positioned For Bushing Removal). Make sure the Remover contacts the bushing circumference evenly all the way around.
Continue to tighten the screw-drive until the bushing is pressed completely out of the lower control arm.
Back off the screw-drive and remove the lower control arm and isolator bushing. Remove the Reaction Plate from the arm.

As for the front bushing, DCx only services it with a whole control arm. But im assuming the above instructions could apply to it... :wink:

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:42 am

The rear seems simple enough. I have taken off the majority of the rear before for strut/spring replacement. The front is what scares me :(

I found this though...

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/proje ... 7scc_neon/

Thanx for your help! Im sure when im cussin because i cant get something figured out, i can come back here and re read and go "Ah crap! Why didnt i try that first?"

BlackRoseRacing

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:32 pm

^^^
:lol:
good luck....I dont know of anyone that has changed there front bushing on there lower control arm..

ACHEAPSHOT
2GN Member

Post by ACHEAPSHOT » Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:23 pm

I did it a couple of months ago. I actually replaced every bushing on there w/some help from some friends and a blow torch.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #89

nodestiny
2GN Member

Post by nodestiny » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:14 pm

Any how to's you would want to write up on it? For the neon lovers out there? :D

Return to “HT Chassis”