Speaker/Sub wiring advice

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
jT
2GN Member

Speaker/Sub wiring advice

Post by jT » Tue Dec 29, 2009 11:26 am

I'm looking to maximize my power here and see if there's a better way to do things -- also while potentially changing things up..

This is my current system / wiring:

Head: DEH-P500UB

Fronts: Infinity Kappa 62.9i 75w RMS

Rears: Infinity Kappa 692.9i 110w RMS

4Ch Amp on front/rear speakers: Profile AP1040
# 80 watts RMS x 4 at 4 ohms
# 125 watts RMS x 4 at 2 ohms
# 225 watts RMS x 2 bridged output at 4 ohms

Currently wired in 80x4 configuration, one speaker on each terminal per channel

My sub was separate on it's own 150Wx1 amp (MTX RT202) --- i punctured the sub to the point where its basically dead.. so i got around to ordering a new sub... a Kenwood KFC-W3011 400w RMS

I was considering buying a new amp for the sub with more power.... staying cheap so I was looking at some generic no-name shit on ebay.. such as the DUB MAG AUDIO DB2502 500wx1 RMS..... but now im looking at whether or not i can (or should) run it off my current amp and move the rear speakers back to the head unit since they sound like shit anyways....

So start at the beginning.....

Would it be possible somehow to get all 4 speakers running in 2ohm mode to have them at 125w RMS x 4? or basically is there a better way to wire them to achieve more power?

If I decided to put the new sub on the existing amp, the first question still applies for the front speakers -- can i get them in 2ohm for 125wx2 -- and then putting the sub on the rear channel bridged should give it the 225w RMS correct?

then i could either put the rear speakers onto the head unit or use my existing sub amp to power the rears (37.5Wx2 RMS is still better than the head unit)

What would you guys do with this setup?

Dylan-00Blue
2GN Member

Post by Dylan-00Blue » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:02 pm

a 2ohm setup should pop infinitys unless they are the kappa perfect 4 ohm is ideal i would get a new sub for your amp

jT
2GN Member

Post by jT » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:46 pm

for the speakers they do say that they are 2 ohm speakers in the user manual, but "True Four Ohm Impedance technology: speaker's 2-ohm impedance combines with speaker wire impedance for a 4-ohm load".. so..... idk.

oh, i found an original tag that was on the amp that says "bridging the speaker outputs with a 2ohm load will damage the amplifier".. so im not sure exactly what that means relating to it's specified rated specs of 125w x 4 @ 2ohm??

nineball
2GN Member

Post by nineball » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:44 pm

the first thing i would do would be to test the individual speakers to see what their actual impedance is.

running a single amp (your 4 channel)

if they measures 4ohm then you can wire the left front and left rear in parallel to have a final 2ohm load and connect that to channel 1 on your amp. do the same for the right side for channel 2. then you can bridge channels 3 and 4 to produce the 225 @ 4ohm for your sub. you will lose the ability to fade with this setup.

if it measure 2ohm then they are already seeing the 125 each from the amp. you can leave the front as is, run the rear off the hu power and bridge channels 3 and 4 for your sub.

you could always use the second example and power the rear speakers from your current sub amp with no problems either. you cannot however get the 125 per channel with only a single speaker connected unless it is a 2ohm speaker.

stay away from the cheap FEEbay amps. you get what you pay for.

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”