Alarm siren and LED location

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Alarm siren and LED location

Post by DetergentCandy » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:58 pm

About a month ago, I had Best Buy install a Viper alarm in Blackula. I only went there cause my friend gets an employee discount. Spent <$150 for the system and the shitty install.
Never seen their handy work before, but I hope all their installs are not like mine was. They didn't even ask me where I wanted the valet switch. They just hid it, and I had to dig around the fuse box to find it.

Anways, they ziptied my siren to the ECU harness >.< Like, right to the side of a big ol'bunch of wires. :banghead:
So I brought it back the next day, and had them reinstall it.
This time they ziptied it to my negative battery cable :beatstick:

Wanted to remount it myself, so I dug around under my hood to find a better place for it.

DOES NOT EXIST

True story. Not unless I want to drill holes. Which I don't.
So, I ziptied it to some...black box thing on the firewall.
What is it?

It's definitely on their good. It's not gonna go anywhere, until my engine catches fire and burns the zipties off.
The siren isn't in the way of anything. And it's got a clear opening underneath it to scream at all the ants on the ground below.

Where is your siren mounted? I tried to mount it to the right front fenderwell, but it wouldn't fit very well. And i'd have to drill holes, which means i'd need to get a nut up inside the fender, which was going to be hard without jacking the car up.
Could I have picked a better location?

Also, my LED is here:
But...it flashes right at the steering column. You can't see it from outside the car.
Tinted windows + poorly placed LED = no alarm indication.

I'll move it somewhere else if there's a better place for it.
02 Neon R/T(Blackula) - Old and busted
05 SRT-4(Serenity) - Sold
20th Anniversary Golf GTI - Sold
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

LilSparkPlug wrote:Mmmm beefy :rofl:

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:41 pm

The black thing on the firewall is the Speed Control vacuum reservoir.

I would pull the passenger side fender liner, and mount the siren near the horn. You may need to pull the black liner under the front fascia. All they need to do ATM is pop the hood, and rip out/cut the wires. Bye bye siren. Unless you are nearby, it is a goner. No one pays much mind to them in a public parking lot.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

mikedon_2gn
2GN Member

Post by mikedon_2gn » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:51 pm

Sorry to hear about the poor siren install. You know the saying, you get what you paid for.

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:36 am

sucks but ya hide the siren away and the wires.. but the led you could put on that mat thing above the hvac or ive even seen some with the light outside on the mirror and in the headlights... more visible that way.. but ya best buy doesnt do the best quality work... from what ive seen its sub par or jsut about par but never excellent..

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:31 pm

never really thought about where to put the siren at... the best buy guys (ya, i went there also... lol) had it drilled to the firewall. where it's drilled, is where the ground wire is at too. so yea...

my LED is on my gauge pillar. from any angle, you can totally see the LED light. from the front of the car, you can see a blue flash on the seat every time it flashes, and from the left/right or behind the car, the LED is pretty dominant. can't miss it.
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:45 pm

I would move the LED upwards that's wicked retarded. My siren location won't help you because it's not possible in a 2.0L.

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:53 pm

lol best nuy lol. anyway

the siren needs to be monuted down towards the pavemnet for best sound. i would suggest near the horn if thats easy for you. as for the led best place would be middle of hvac panel. I am putting one in each of the front door panels like vw does.

if uvgo to carlisle i can help you out with some ideas. i may bring some tools down as i might be doing some installs while im down there. lol.

DetergentCandy
2GN Member

Post by DetergentCandy » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:00 pm

Caraudioholic24 wrote:
if uvgo to carlisle i can help you out with some ideas. i may bring some tools down as i might be doing some installs while im down there. lol.
That would be totally rad, but i'm a little far from Carlisle :rofl:
02 Neon R/T(Blackula) - Old and busted
05 SRT-4(Serenity) - Sold
20th Anniversary Golf GTI - Sold
05 SRT-4 - New hotness

LilSparkPlug wrote:Mmmm beefy :rofl:

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:10 pm

lol for some reason i thought you were coming lol.

Paralyzer
2GN Member

Post by Paralyzer » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:29 pm

i have my led right about the radio but under the vents in the center. I have had it behind the rear view mirror but I wanted it so it could be seen all around the car. with tented windows all you saw was a blue glow flashing.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:15 pm

Paralyzer wrote:i have my led right about the radio but under the vents in the center. I have had it behind the rear view mirror but I wanted it so it could be seen all around the car. with tented windows all you saw was a blue glow flashing.
Tented windows are all the rage lately :shock:

I keed :D

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”