Weird issue about HID and gauges

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
esfan
2011 Silver Contributor

Weird issue about HID and gauges

Post by esfan » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:15 pm

There's an issue with my HID and the speedometer and all kinds of gauges, which is if I turn off the HID when driving, all the gauge will point to zero for just 0.2 sec and then come back to normal. I wonder if there's something related with the electrical pulling from battery might cause this? My HID is a regular 35W with relay harness and a new battery. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Fan
2000 Dodge Neon ES
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #52

esfan
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by esfan » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:29 pm

I checked all the grounded and they seem normal and well connected, the battery terminals are clean. All the connections are good. HID does not have any problems as flickering or blinking which probably indicate the ballast and the relay harness are good. Just when they are turned off, every electronic parts seem to be turned off at the same time. Does it indicate that the ECU has some issues? But I searched and found nothing related to this problem actually. I know turning on the HID pulls a lot of power from the battery for a short period, but mine happened when turning off which is kind of weird. Or maybe it's an multifunction switch problem like burning out? Thanks for any suggestions.
Fan
2000 Dodge Neon ES
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #52

sirblackjack
n00b

Post by sirblackjack » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:23 pm

I know this is an old post, but I'm having the same problem.

I narrowed it down to the Relay Harness. If I plug the ballast directly to the car electrical system, I have no problems. If I use the relay, my gauges die briefly when turning the lights OFF.

I tried with 2 different relays, and connecting the ground and positive directly to the battery (I thought it could be a grounding issue at first), but I still have the problem. I don't know why!

I could run the HID with no relay harness, but I don't think it would be a good idea in the long run.

Any ideas?

sirblackjack
n00b

Post by sirblackjack » Sat Sep 07, 2013 6:00 pm

I changed the relay of the wire harness with a relay with a flyback diode and it solved the issue. You can read what a Flyback diode does here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flyback_diode

This is the relay I bought:

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:29 pm

Bingo, beat me to it.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”