Adding Shock Sensor Idea

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
JeffM
2GN Member

Adding Shock Sensor Idea

Post by JeffM » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:39 pm

WARNING: LONG READ AHEAD

As the weather gets warmer and the snow melts away, people (namely kids) are starting to stay out later and later. We all know nothing good comes out of that and it's starting to make me nervous. Having had one of my cars broken into before I am always on high alert every time I hear someone outside. Lately, I've noticed the local kids starting to hang out in the apartment parking lot more and, annoyingly enough, taking an interest in my car.

I'd say I'm practical when it comes to anything I do to my cars. If I can leave something stock on it I will. Thus, my latest idea. I like the stock alarm system. It does a fairly good job as-is if some r-tard was to try to steal my car, but I want to stop them if they, say, happen to take a skateboard to it. This is why I want to add a 'shock sensor' to the existing alarm.

I know for a fact that Dodge offered a motion sensor security upgrade, but I can't seem to find one. I also know that Dodge wired the trunk and hood for pop-switches, but that it was a BUX upgrade to get the switches. That's why I was thinking to wire a dual-zone shock sensor to either the trunk or door ajar switch.

If I have my thinking correct, if I could run power to the sensor, then I'd just have to wire one of the ajar switches to it, so when the sensor is triggered, it grounds out the ajar switch which in turn sets off the alarm.

I've been looking at different diagrams of both the trunk and driver's door wiring, but maybe someone with more knowledge could point me in the correct direction or what the hell to even look for. :lol:

Driver's ajar wiring

Trunk ajar wiring

Now, I know that some of you are probably thinking:
WHY THE HEEEEELL DO YOU WANT A SHOCK SENSOR?!? IT'LL GO OFF EVERYWHERE!!!!
Maybe, but I'd at least try to adjust it to not. :lol:

I'd need to find a power source that would power the sensor while the car is off, and also find a sensor that would be good enough to actually work. This is all just theory though; I have no clue if it'd even work. Think of this thread as a way to throw around ideas. I know we have some crazy smart electrical wizards on here, so I'd imagine we could come up with something that'd perfectly beef up our alarms.

Oh, and if you made it this far without dying of old age, pat yourself on the back. =D>

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:39 pm

This is one thing I like about my Viper alarm system. It is one of the first things I had done to my car so I honestly don't remember much about it, how they (Best-Buy) installed it, etc. But all I know is that it has a "shock sensor" on it... maybe they indeed wired it to the factory sensors or whatever... but I have the sensor turned up on max. If you tap the trunk (or hood, or door, or any part of the car), the car will chirp at you... do it again, it'll set the alarm off. Even if you kick the tire, it'll sense the shock and chirp at you. Only during a severe thunderstorm does it go off, and only very loud drive by's does it go off (a Harley motorcycle or a beef'd up Mitsu Evo VIII :lol: ).

Anyhow... I just wanted to share that :) lol.
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:51 pm

Exactly, but I'd like to see if we could somehow wire one into the stock system. Obviously, it'd be a little more difficult to set the warning alarm, such as the one on the Viper system, but to at least have the alarm sound when someone touches the car would be nice. I don't like it when people touch my car! :cussing:

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Ya. Mine never came with a stock alarm key. In fact, the guys at the dealership only had one key for me... so I had gotten one installed since I prefer keyless entry.
JeffM wrote:I don't like it when people touch my car!
Same here man! lol. I freak out when my son puts his hands on the windows and stuff. He's only 6, but I still tell him "Stop putting your hands on the car like that!" haha.
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:44 pm

my 01 came with stock shock sensor on the hood, i can take pics if you like. and yes its the stock alarm. i believe they used the shock sensor on my car because it has no hood switch like the others do.
Justin
[02 R/T sold][00 Highline sold][04 r/t scrapped][95 NYG Sport coupe][01 r/t DD]
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2931823

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Sure! Any little bit helps get the ball rolling. :D

Mopar00Neon
2GN Member

Post by Mopar00Neon » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:44 pm

r/tguy02 wrote:my 01 came with stock shock sensor on the hood, i can take pics if you like. and yes its the stock alarm. i believe they used the shock sensor on my car because it has no hood switch like the others do.
Id like to see this pic too. Never heard of a stock shock sensor on the hood.... just the pin switch.

And for the OP, your car should have the wiring for the hood switch. Look by the A/C lines/washer bottle, it should be taped up on the frame rail there, or maybe even pulled down by the washer bottle. IIRC, all neons had that connector, even if they didnt have the switch. Mines got it, and the switch... I dont have a trunk switch though.
He is unworthy of the name of man who is ignorant of the fact that the diagonal of a square is incommensurable with its side.

-brian

2007 F-150
2006 Mitsubishi Outlander
2004 F-350
2000 Dodge Neon
1957 Chevy truck
1989 Chevy 1500

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:47 pm

Interesting....good info, I'll have to look for that. Thanks :)

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:56 pm

intresting is:
hood pin switch was only for BUX - but here in Germany the factory alarm is forbidden and so deactivated. :lol:

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:00 pm

Really?!

I remember reading on a lot of threads on SRTforums that their systems came deactivated, but I didn't realize they were forbidden in Germany. :shock:

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:43 am

ok here it is, its tucked under the hood mat (attached with a clip) but on the original hood there was a cutout for the sensor in the mat (original hood was damaged) the sensor wire goes into the harness for the the horn then into the firewall.
vibration sensor
alarm horn
no hood pin switch
Justin

Mopar00Neon
2GN Member

Post by Mopar00Neon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:19 am

Thats not a stock alarm horn. Does your stock RKE remote operate it?

Interesting.
He is unworthy of the name of man who is ignorant of the fact that the diagonal of a square is incommensurable with its side.

-brian

2007 F-150
2004 F-350
2000 Dodge Neon
1957 Chevy truck
1989 Chevy 1500

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:46 am

:-k Interesting indeed...

If I can make it over to my parent's garage this evening, I'll look for the hood wires and dissect some of them.

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:08 am

Yeah stock fob arms it, it also has the factory indicator light on the dash showing it's armed
Justin

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:19 am

There are ways to integrate an aftermarket alarm to a stock system but its a LOT more work than its worth.... I have a few OEM hood pins if you wanted one...

The only problem I can see your gonna have is...you're going to have to diode isolate the hood pin away from the actual door pin. Not a total necessity but when you open the hood up the interior light will come on LOL... Also it will concern you more that if you hook up the shock sensor to the door pin without the diode.... every time you hit a bump the interior light will light up LOL

If you want Jeff you can call or text me....I have a few nice systems available that will do everything that you want and more (I have a couple of used units in perfect working order as well)...best thing is you can add more to an aftermarket system such as tilt sensor, motion sensor, glass break sensor etc... Heck you can even throw a remote start on a Manual (stick shift) safely now so your options are endless... I worked on Crystals Cars so she can answer a few of your questions as well!!!

jetas
2GN Member

Post by jetas » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:47 pm

I used to mess with my old '00. Id roll down the window and lock it. Let it sit for a couple minutes then unlock it from the inside and soon as i opened the door the alarm would go off. Same with the hood, if it was locked and i popped the hood, the alarm would go off.

And yes it was stock. Did what i wanted so i never upgraded it.
-J.J. | Official I sold my Neon Member #008
86.5 Nissan Hardbody LB- will be for sale soon...

1989 Yota PU- "Tammy" -Rest In Pieces...

2000 Plym Neon- "Stacy" -Sold 3/25/09 =(
Ntyvirus1 wrote:im debadged so i just drive a gray thing.

Mopar00Neon
2GN Member

Post by Mopar00Neon » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:10 pm

jetas wrote:I used to mess with my old '00. Id roll down the window and lock it. Let it sit for a couple minutes then unlock it from the inside and soon as i opened the door the alarm would go off. Same with the hood, if it was locked and i popped the hood, the alarm would go off.

And yes it was stock. Did what i wanted so i never upgraded it.

My '00 does that too. It does what its supposed to, but can be annoying when its in your garage, and you hit a lock button or something while working on it. lol

-brian

2007 F-150
2004 F-350
2000 Dodge Neon
1957 Chevy truck
1989 Chevy 1500

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:48 pm

dammit it was hard for me the first time in the english forums to understand that the alarm goes on when you say it goess off.
And then you turn it off after it went off...
:tardbang:

fattirebicycles
n00b

Post by fattirebicycles » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:14 pm

You can use a relay to make a wire that is on when power is off, and vice versa.

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:56 am

Caraudioholic24 wrote:If you want Jeff you can call or text me....I have a few nice systems available that will do everything that you want and more (I have a couple of used units in perfect working order as well)...best thing is you can add more to an aftermarket system such as tilt sensor, motion sensor, glass break sensor etc... Heck you can even throw a remote start on a Manual (stick shift) safely now so your options are endless... I worked on Crystals Cars so she can answer a few of your questions as well!!!
I'll be sure to contact you if it comes down to it but, for the sake of discussion:
Caraudioholic24 wrote:There are ways to integrate an aftermarket alarm to a stock system but its a LOT more work than its worth....
Not really looking to install an aftermarket OVER the stock one per-say; just add to the stock one if that makes sense. I'm more than satisfied with the current alarm.
Caraudioholic24 wrote: Also it will concern you more that if you hook up the shock sensor to the door pin without the diode.... every time you hit a bump the interior light will light up LOL
Good point. Is there a live wire that is only on when the alarm is activated? Or would that involve the 'diode'? Elaborate on this diode, please.
fattirebicycles wrote:You can use a relay to make a wire that is on when power is off, and vice versa.
Would that cause a problem with say...draining the battery?
Mopar00Neon wrote:And for the OP, your car should have the wiring for the hood switch. Look by the A/C lines/washer bottle, it should be taped up on the frame rail there, or maybe even pulled down by the washer bottle. IIRC, all neons had that connector, even if they didnt have the switch. Mines got it, and the switch... I dont have a trunk switch though.
I tried looking quickly for the connector while I was outside the other day. The only wires I see running in that area go directly to the headlight harness? I can't seem to find the connector.

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:51 pm

That hood switch is a mercury switch and the siren is an aftermarket siren looks like a DEI unit no whe may have it integrated into his oem keypad but its more work than its worth...

As far as a diode it basically let current flow one way...Ill see if I can find a diagram for you

http://www.bulldogsecurity.com/bdnew/ne ... ge%201.pdf

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:12 pm

Caraudioholic24 wrote:That hood switch is a mercury switch and the siren is an aftermarket siren looks like a DEI unit no whe may have it integrated into his oem keypad but its more work than its worth...
you talkin about mine mike? whats a mercury switch?
Justin

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:33 pm

Yea...mercury switch act like a floating switch...basically once the hood goes up the mercury ball inside the switch floats to two prongs completing a circuit..so it will then tell the alarm the hood is open..

If you have an old school thermostat in ur hous remove the trim ring and you will see what Im talking about..its encased in a glass tube...

Dont mind the ford forum (Ugg) but this will give you an idea
OMG I used to be a huge Link

Link shrunk by Danteneon

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:07 pm

ah gotcha now, i never wouldve guessed thats what it is, that still doesnt answer why my car has it and nobody else has ever seen one on a neon utilizing the stock alarm...
Justin

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:58 pm

Did you buy the car new???

Somebody put that on there LOL

r/tguy02
2GN Member

Post by r/tguy02 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:36 am

2nd owner but i bought it from a dodge dealer, i guess they added it. however if someone figured out how do add it to the stock system it might help jeff figure out how to add a shock sensor to his.
Justin

JeffM
2GN Member

Post by JeffM » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:05 pm

r/tguy02 wrote:2nd owner but i bought it from a dodge dealer, i guess they added it. however if someone figured out how do add it to the stock system it might help jeff figure out how to add a shock sensor to his.
It's all good info to me. :)

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”