Turn signal flicker

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
Johny
2GN Member

Turn signal flicker

Post by Johny » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:47 pm

So obviously when the turn signal flickers fast, means a bulb is out. I've checked every single bulb and all of them are working (front side markers, side markers, breaklights, 3rd break light). I even swapped out the MFS with a new one, and that still didn't fix it. The lights and bulbs came off my 2gn and they were working fine on it. Maybe the bulb connector on the SRT harness is fried? Like when I do the flasher, I can see that the turn signal bulb is LIGHTLY flashing on one of the filaments in the bulb. Like, the bulb has 2 filaments, and the one at the back stays on all the time, and then a smaller one in the front is very lightly blinking. If you turn on the hazards, it blinks at the correct pace.

The connector on the harness is a little burnt though, but so is the one on my 2gn. what do you guys think the problem could be?

www.JohnyR.net - Web development

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:21 pm

It sounds to me, like there is a grounding issue somewhere.

Which bulb is the one that is flashing 'slightly' ?
I bet that is where the issue is.

Check that socket carefully - Make sure there is no corrosion there.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:15 pm

NickKo wrote:It sounds to me, like there is a grounding issue somewhere.

Which bulb is the one that is flashing 'slightly' ?
I bet that is where the issue is.

Check that socket carefully - Make sure there is no corrosion there.

- Nick

Hmm, they front are both lightly flashing.. although, one of the side markers were out, I replaced the bulb and the pllug looked a bit melted? could that be it?

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:18 pm

Johny wrote: Hmm, they front are both lightly flashing.. although, one of the side markers were out, I replaced the bulb and the plug looked a bit melted? could that be it?
I bet that is the one.
I would replace it.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:13 am

Could also be the multiswitch

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:26 am

Jenni wrote:Could also be the multiswitch
I even swapped out the MFS with a new one
You have grounds on the inside of the trunk, on both sides, behind the liner. Make sure they are clean and tight. Either way, half melted stuff is never good. :lol:

Did you try replacing the flasher it self? Or was a new one swapped with the MFS?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Skitlz
2GN Member

Post by Skitlz » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Johny wrote:I replaced the bulb and the pllug looked a bit melted? could that be it?
If a plug is melting then it's likely shorted. Electronics melting is never a good thing, and could cause a fire. Just ask my buddy about his dashboard catching on fire. haha
-Scott

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #135 (2005 SE)

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:18 pm

Jenni wrote:Could also be the multiswitch
haha yeah I switched that, didnt help
occasional demons wrote: You have grounds on the inside of the trunk, on both sides, behind the liner. Make sure they are clean and tight. Either way, half melted stuff is never good. :lol:

Did you try replacing the flasher it self? Or was a new one swapped with the MFS?
Grounds in the trunk are perfect on both sides. Yeah you mean the flasher relay thing? Switched it over with my new mfs :(
Skitlz wrote: If a plug is melting then it's likely shorted. Electronics melting is never a good thing, and could cause a fire. Just ask my buddy about his dashboard catching on fire. haha
haha yeah of course. The weird thing is that it flashes normally when being unlocked, hazards, and what ever else, just everything flashes quickly when I try to use the turn signal. I'm at a complete loss if it isnt the side marker socket.. anyone else?

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”