Electrical issue - battery light on, no radio

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
TomsNeon
2GN Member

Electrical issue - battery light on, no radio

Post by TomsNeon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:47 am

Hello all, need some help please. My battery light keeps coming on for the past few days (it's been checked at AZ; the alternator and batt come back as fine) and the terminals are tight. This AM on the way to work, the radio went dark and no power to it. Lights were on, heater, blinkers, everything else is working but the batt light on and no radio. ANY ideas on what to check?

Polobear305
2GN Member

Post by Polobear305 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:33 am

Did you check the fuse? It's on your drivers door side when you open the car door.

TomsNeon
2GN Member

Post by TomsNeon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:36 am

Polobear305 wrote:Did you check the fuse? It's on your drivers door side when you open the car door.
Not yet but that was a thought to check on break. Would that make the batt light come on while everything else is fine?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:20 pm

The IAT sensor probably went bad.

If the alternator is charging at a flat ~13.5 volts in the car, that is most likely the culprit.

Have you checked for any codes?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

TomsNeon
2GN Member

Post by TomsNeon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:33 pm

occasional demons wrote:The IAT sensor probably went bad.

If the alternator is charging at a flat ~13.5 volts in the car, that is most likely the culprit.

Have you checked for any codes?
Hey Occasional Demons, glad you replied man! No codes, hoping there would be after 2 days of this but nothing. Only the battery light and today no radio. Now, the positive terminal was loose the day before yesterday and as of last night that sucker was so freakin' tight the whole battery moved when you tried to move the terminal, did that to the negative also just to cover my butt.

No radio at all when I pulled out of the driveway this morning and about 5 miles down the road from home, the batt light came on. When I got to work, I shut the car off, smoked a cigarette and tried to start it again. Dead as can be. Went out on first break, loosened the positive terminal and wiggled it, tried to start it and when it fired up, I left it running and tightened down the terminal again but still no radio and the radio fuse is fine. Any ideas my friend??

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Not sure on the radio, but the terminals may need cleaned, or replaced.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

TomsNeon
2GN Member

Post by TomsNeon » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:41 pm

I can live without a radio, no biggie there. I can yank that out this weekend and look at it but thanks for the the heads up on the terminals possibly being bad and/or corroded really badly but they look fine. Although looks can be deceiving, I'll check it out never the less. Thank you again!

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”