Fuel Gauge issue

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
Ramroid
2GN Member

Fuel Gauge issue

Post by Ramroid » Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:53 pm

Well, replaced my fuel pump about 2 months ago and since then my fuel gauge has been off. 1/4 tank is "empty" now. The fuel pump was put in correctly, works perfectly fine, just the darn gauge is off. Anyone know how to fix this, or am i stuck with a faulty gauge?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:02 pm

If you replaced the entire module, you are probably stuck. If you happened to save the old module, you could swap senders, or if the housing itself is whacked, you could swap the new pump into the old module.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Feb 08, 2014 2:47 pm

It seems to be a faulty sender.
See my last thread, if you like, how to measure the resistance and which you should get.
viewtopic.php?t=57495&start=60

Or probably a wire is defective?
a neon - what else ?

Themaggots
2GN Member

Post by Themaggots » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:19 pm

Fuel pump assembly not clocked correctly?
Jimmy

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:15 pm

There is a locating tab on the module that goes in a notch in the tank flange. Not sure how you could get it clocked wrong, without having a leak. If an aftermarket module does not have the tab, yes you could get it out of position, and the pick up would also be farther away from the bottom of the tank.

Not sure how or when the clocking of the module thing got started, but I know on mine, there is only one position that it will seat into the tank. I just reused the canister and sender, by putting a Walbro 255 pump in place of the oem Walbro unit.

A lot less expensive....
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ragek23
2GN Member

Post by ragek23 » Fri May 09, 2014 11:23 pm

So yeah my sending unit died today (pretty sure) she's been pegged at E all day and i filled up early last night. I am going to get an OEM one but the question is, when dropping the tank should I replace the tank straps? Do they tend to stretch out or fail? The car has 150K on it.

2002 Neon SXT Sold
2006 EVO MR Weekend Warrior
2003 SRT 4 DD
-Kevin

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”