Bad Alternator or something else?

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
Albius
2GN Member

Bad Alternator or something else?

Post by Albius » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:27 pm

As soon I red the trhead again, I don't sound natural in english so I re-edit the whole thing so you can understand better what I try to say. :)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi there.

I just having a little problem with my 2005 SE Neon Manual. It is related to electrical system.

At mornings the car starts well, I have absolutely no battery drain or something like that, but I have dimming and brightening lights in a noticeable way. Accompanied with this, my idle engine follows the pattern of the lights mainly when the car is warming.

Besides, I notice the dimming and brightening in the stereo display and If I use the hazard lights when the car is in the normal temperature or when I have to stop after driving certain distance, day or night.

The first test I did was check the alternator putting a multimeter in the battery terminals and I got 13.5-13.8 volts. I have read that the perfect volts value for the alternator in this cars is within 15V but the factory service manual doesn't mention the correct value for charge. Any Ideas for this?

I did a visual inspection of fuses and relays in both boxes but they not look burnt or damaged.

Is this a symptom of a bad or diying alternator? Battery Harness? Belt is loose? A fuse? Ground? :-k
No battery light in the cluster neither.

What do you guys suggest me to test before I get the car in the shop to inspect everything and what I need to ask the mechanic to inspect?

Thanks in advance for your help.
------------------------------------------
End of edition.
Last edited by Albius on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..:: Albius ::..

thomas_w
2GN Member

Post by thomas_w » Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:52 am

I would check the ground connections first before swapping in an alternator. Easy to do and they are known to cause problems. The one at the top radiator is probably a good candidate. Make sure there is no rust and add some dielectric grease to keep them clean.

It could also be a connector that starts corroding. Having issues when cold would support that. If you cannot get to it to clean it de-oxit spray is pretty good.

Take this with a grain of salt as I am not a mechanic by any means. Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in as well.

Albius
2GN Member

Post by Albius » Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:15 am

Thanks a lot Thomas. I will check ground connections and wires. I think this problem is caused in a minor way for terminals or wires corroding.

Hopefully someone can give me another tip to correct the problem before thinking is the alternator and rebuild it.
..:: Albius ::..

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”