Multifunction switch question

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
RTdodgeneon
n00b

Multifunction switch question

Post by RTdodgeneon » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:36 am

I just bought an 02 R/T and teh fogs were not working so i checked the bulbs wiring and fuses. all good but pulled the MFS conector and its been melted. Not really bad but a good amount to notice. So my question is was this issue because of some faulty MFS, bulb output too high or a random MFS that can melt your harness? I dont look forward to swapping the harness but need to. Just wanna know why ive seen them melted
02 R/T (Silver) bone stock with leather, sunroof, and pure sexiness!

2005 Stone White ACR Stage 3 w/toys
MPx BFMIC, Mpx o2, ACT clutch,Mpx dual exit, n2mb WOT/2step, Maddog STS, Boomba catch can, Hard pipes, HKS bov, Mopar CAI, Solid mounts, Built bottom end, ACR struts with Mopar springs and sway bars, Devilsown Meth kit, Mopar pistol grip

1/4 @ 12.9@ 112 MPH

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Wed Jan 07, 2015 1:46 pm

The MFS connectors in these cars are crap. the melting is a common issue, especially if running higher wattage bulbs in both the headlights and fogs. If your headlights still work, and don't want to deal with replacing the MFS(30 mins of work max), you can run a relay harness for the fogs.

Is the MFS connector itself melted? or the connector it plugs into

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:19 pm

A relay harness controlled via the factory fog light switch once the connector is repaired is also a good solution. If you really want to keep the load from the MFS, you could use relays for the headlights too.

You may benefit from better voltage levels to the bulbs as a bonus.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

RTdodgeneon
n00b

Post by RTdodgeneon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:09 am

the harness end is whats melted and the headlights do work bu no fogs. So the cause is a faulty switch and too much load from the bulbs?

MPx BFMIC, Mpx o2, ACT clutch,Mpx dual exit, n2mb WOT/2step, Maddog STS, Boomba catch can, Hard pipes, HKS bov, Mopar CAI, Solid mounts, Built bottom end, ACR struts with Mopar springs and sway bars, Devilsown Meth kit, Mopar pistol grip

1/4 @ 12.9@ 112 MPH

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:41 am

Even non fog systems have issues melting the connectors. Sometimes it is just poor contact in the connector itself, or if too high of a wattage bulb is used, etc.

But if you only use the factory switch to control relays, there will be only the relay coil load on the connector/MFS.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

RTdodgeneon
n00b

Post by RTdodgeneon » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:45 pm

hmm okay, Ill save up and get a Mopar MFS and check the bulbs I have in the car along with adding a new connector to start off fresh when I have some spare money

1/4 @ 12.9@ 112 MPH

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:16 pm

RTdodgeneon wrote:hmm okay, Ill save up and get a Mopar MFS and check the bulbs I have in the car along with adding a new connector to start off fresh when I have some spare money
No point in buying one from mopar. Ac delco has oem replacements that are the same exact thing, for a fraction of the price. Rockauto had them for 50$ last time i checked(last year). The relay harness is actually cheap to make as well. Just need 2 40 amp relays from any automotive shop, and in line fuse for each relay, and some wire/connectors.

There are diagrams for the harness on here as well. All total, you could get the harness made for less than 20$ if you have some parts laying around. I had the relays from an old ford laying around, had the wire from a friend(about 20 ft per harness), the inline fuse was the only thing i bought. I used bullet connectors so i can disconnect the harness from the car if i ever needed to replace anything. They're cheap and simple insurance policies.

ducktapetg
2GN Member

Post by ducktapetg » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:33 pm

Check this out for acheap mfs connector
viewtopic.php?t=53122

and this for a relay if you are interested in going that route:
viewtopic.php?t=60965&sid=daf8cb60af7c4 ... 54bea717ab

Btw, I replaced my MFS switch with an autozone switch (a year or two ago) and it has been working just fine. I don't use my fog lights though, just to keep any excess loading off the switch.
Jason

2001 r/t
1998 r/t Project Log --> viewtopic.php?t=66496

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:22 pm

I don't even have my foglights hooked up to the fog switch. I just have them tied into the marker lights, so when the marker lights are on, i can use my fogs without my headlights on. Plus, they stay on with high beams. it's a win/win. Been like that for a year, no issues what so ever.

My headlights are used with a relay harness as well, both highs and lows(was originally setup for HID's, but i got lazy and didn't use them)

RTdodgeneon
n00b

Post by RTdodgeneon » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:03 am

awesome. appreciate the help!

1/4 @ 12.9@ 112 MPH

Ramroid
2GN Member

Post by Ramroid » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:14 am

RTdodgeneon wrote:awesome. appreciate the help!
No problem. If you have anymore problems, post them on the forums. Avoid the facebook page. You'll get trolls and idiots 80% of the time. I actually have a MFS on my parts car i'd give you. I don't know if its any good, but its from an 00' SE w/o fogs. But you can tie the fogs into the markers and it wouldnt matter lol

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:35 pm

ducktapetg wrote:
Btw, I replaced my MFS switch with an autozone switch (a year or two ago) and it has been working just fine.
Glad they got the 2gn switches right. I bought a 1gn turn signal switch two years or so ago, and it was worse than the one I was trying to replace. I ended up returning it, taking the original apart, and cleaning/lubing everything, and it has worked perfectly since. (Don't ever try this if you have no patience, or hate working with small parts.)
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

RTdodgeneon
n00b

Post by RTdodgeneon » Sun Jan 11, 2015 10:16 pm

Yea I will definately update when I am able to redo the switch and harness

1/4 @ 12.9@ 112 MPH

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:51 pm

ducktapetg wrote:Check this out for acheap mfs connector
viewtopic.php?t=53122

and this for a relay if you are interested in going that route:
viewtopic.php?t=60965&sid=daf8cb60af7c4 ... 54bea717ab
Very Useful info.
Thanks for posting these links !! 8)

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS