Dealing with this terminal.

Questions about AMPs, headunits, speakers, subs, security systems, ect... Anything to do with audio or security, those questions all go here.
Albius
2GN Member

Dealing with this terminal.

Post by Albius » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:00 am

Hi there.

I was keeping my car in a garage because of some remodelling on my house for a couple weeks. When I went to pick it up the battery was dead. I got some jumpers and drove home yesterday.

While I was jumping the battery and the oil I noticed A LOT of sulphate in the battery terminals, posts and especially in the fuse box red cable. As soon as I have some time to clean the sulphate off, I just notice that this terminal
https://photos.app.goo.gl/n4kg8wT7XXDGvhn17

Had hard sulphate between the threads. Really hard to remove with water, baking soda and lemon. Nothing seems to work to clean the cable properly. I know is not ok to get sulphate in cables for any reason.

So as I could not find a positive battery cable in junkyards to replace mine and I would not find any terminal to match the circled one; what do you guys recommend me to do in order to repair the cable? I know that terminal has 2 holes and 2 nuts connected to the fuse box for a good reason. I fear for a battery drain if I leave the cable with the sulphate for so long.

If the repair is not a good route to go It is time to get a new set of wires from the dealership and forget this trouble for some more years?

As always, thanks a million for your help guys!

Warm regards from Mexico.
..:: Albius ::..

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: Dealing with this terminal.

Post by occasional demons » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:45 am

You could crimp an eyelet terminal to the cable, and be good, if you have some scrap copper sheet, and a way to put two holes in it. That's what I did on my '99 fuse box connection. I placed the plate onto the studs, the extra nut ,then the eyelet and tightened it all down. I have not had any issue in 4 years.

Otherwise it would be a dealer if the cable is still available, but it won't be cheap. You can also try Ebay for 2000 to 2005 neon battery cables. Regular or SRT, it doesn't matter.

If the studs in the fuse box (PDC) are corroded, I would clean them as best as possible, and hope for the best. Otherwise you may need to get another PDC from a JY, and dissasseble the PDC to get the power terminals. But this will also be a tedious project, and require lots of patience.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Albius
2GN Member

Post by Albius » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:55 pm

Thanks for the assist, Ocassional, you really oriented me so many times <3

Fortunately, the studs on the PDC are not corroded or have any sulfate. Looking on ebay for positive cables, dealer guys told me that there is chance to order the cable set but the price hurts. I need to do something soon before the PDC connections take any damage. JY PDCs are not cheap either. :(
..:: Albius ::..

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Sep 29, 2018 4:53 pm

You could coat the connection with grease to keep the air away from it until you get a better cable. an antioxidant grease would be best, but any grease will help keep it from corroding worse than it is now.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “Audio / Security / Electrical”