How to: Nightshade/Clear Tails the LSP way :)

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

How to: Nightshade/Clear Tails the LSP way :)

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:12 pm

Okay...here goes. This is the best way I have found to Nightshade your tails and get them to look OEM as far as glossiness goes. This is another thing I have recieved alot of PM's about and random questions....so this is how I did it :).

You will need:
- 600 grit sandpaper wet-to-dry
- Soft block (for sanding)
- Dawn or Wax/Tar Grease Remover
- Tack rag (if you so desire)
- VHT nightshades
- UPOL Clear No. 1 Clear coat

Steps:
1. Clean any/all debris off the taillight, using Dawn/Pamolive or Wax/Tar grease remover.

2. Grab some 600 grit sandpaper, and wetsand them until you have a uniform dull finish.

3. Clean them again, using Wax/Tar grease remover, soap w/no silicone or dawn.

4. Tape off the sides and back of the taillight so nothing gets on them when you nightshade them. You don't want overspray. Use 3M Fineline tape on the reverse light if you want to do like I did and leave it white.

5. Clean them again, don't moisten the tape too much if you are using a Dawn type solution. Wax/tar grease remover is best.

6. Spray your first coat of nightshades using 50% overlap on each stroke, then read the back of the can. I believe its 5-10 minutes in between coats. DO NOT wait any longer it will flake/peel off.

7. Spray as many coats as desired. Then wait 5-10 minutes after your last coat before clearing.

8. If you masked off your reverse light, remove the tape (GENTLY) at this time so that you don't have a "bump" where the clear coat ends and the reverse light begins. It will allow for a uniform finish.

9. Spray 2-3 coats ONLY of the UPOL clear using 50% overlap on strokes, anymore and it will lift on you as most clears do. Wait 5-10 minutes in between coats, and 25-30 minutes after your last coat to handle them. 24 hours before you put them on the car....trust me on that one.

I recommend the UPOL clear because it is UV protectant and around $18 a can. Its the best clear you can buy without buying one that has a hardener in it for $25+ dollars. You can buy it online or at your local autobody supply store. It has a VERY high gloss level. Here are mine:

I believe I have a bit over 6 coats on there, and you can still see them at night. Although during the day you can't see the running lights only the brake/turn signals.

Last edited by LilSparkPlug on Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

supertrick_05
2GN Member

Post by supertrick_05 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:18 pm

Ah...another wonderful writeup by the lovely Crystalmarie! I'll be following this thread VERY soon... :twisted:
-Brodie
2002 Dodge Neon ACR - Needs LOTS of love, but I'm gonna slowly get her to where she deserves to be :)

boostedblue
2GN Member

Post by boostedblue » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:33 pm

cant wait to do thissss! :D

Mopar65
2GN Member

Post by Mopar65 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:26 pm

What is the problem if you don't wait? I really want to go take some pictures because I just waxed the car and I did the nightshade and clear about 8 hours ago.

orangeneon05
2GN Member

Post by orangeneon05 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:02 am

here is my car i am thinking about doing this. but one question should i black out the middle light as well of should i leave it red.

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Tue May 19, 2009 1:43 am

^ black it out.... if anything, just leave the "white" part. that would make it easier to see when backing up at night.
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

orangeneon05
2GN Member

Post by orangeneon05 » Tue May 19, 2009 1:45 am

cool thanks ad your black it out was to the middle light right i just want to be sure

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Wed May 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but we just started carrying the VHT niteshades paint at Advance Auto Parts. Just came in on our most recent truck, and we just re-did our whole paint section. Most stores should be carrying it I assume, so now we don't have to order it! And if you're going to be in Carlisle and want me to get you some cans, PM me.
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

onewickedkid05
2GN Member

Post by onewickedkid05 » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:27 am

is there nay other clear coat thats uv protected like duplicolor or anything else u can pick up in a store cause i cant find the UPOL in an actual store here
CLICK HERE TO SEE MY PROJECT LOG
viewtopic.php?t=29281

Image[/u]

yell0w4d00r
2GN Member

Post by yell0w4d00r » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:22 am

onewickedkid05 wrote:is there nay other clear coat thats uv protected like duplicolor or anything else u can pick up in a store cause i cant find the UPOL in an actual store here

i used regular clear coat that you can pick up at walmart and they look fine

Mat00ES
2GN Member

Post by Mat00ES » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:39 am

I used the cheap clear and its a all peeling now, Im in long need of a redo on my tails.
Dirty Daily Status
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000011

Return to “HT Exterior”