How to: Mod your Ebay Projector Foglight Halos

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

How to: Mod your Ebay Projector Foglight Halos

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Okay so the thought crossed my mind to change out the LEDs in my projector foglight halos. I suggested this to a friend who lives down in FL, also an SRT owner, who has an OB. He wanted his orange. I said buy the stuff, ship it to me I'll do it for you. So...enough stories here we go. These foglights are not mine, they belong to SRTPastryChef, though I do have a set of my own.

You need:
- Pair of Projector Foglights from Ebay (Mine are from SpeedInifiniti)
- 4 5mm Pre-Wired LEDs from Oznium.com in color of your choice
- Silicone (preferably clear with a thin nozzle)
- Wire strippers
- A phillips head and a flat head

1. Start by unscrewing the two screws on either side of the projector. Remove these. The projector will need to be turned 180 degrees so it's beam is aimed properly. From the factory that makes these, the beam is upside down.

2. Using your flathead, pry the "chrome" feet of the halo off of the projector, and remove the projector from the housing. Leave the halo ring there.

3. Now you can do one of two things. Using a thin flathead, pry between the glass and the plastic shroud and pop off the lens. OR Try prying the shit out of the halo ring to get it out. The first option is easier, and you can seal the glass better the second time around. I chose this option. It makes taking them apart and putting them back together way easier.

4. On the rear of the halo, once you have everything apart, you'll see a clear rubber piece with wires coming out of it. Pull that out.

5. Pulling from the LEDs, pull the LEDs and the wires out of the rubber.

6. Group together two of your 5mm Oznium LEDs and slide them through, wires first SIMULTANEOUSLY. It makes things so much easier than doing them one at a time. Once you slide them down all the way, bend one to the right and one to the left. Apply a small bead of silicone in between the two of them. Twist, butt connect, or solder both of the ground wires and both power wires together.

7. Apply a thin bead of silicone around the perimeter of the plastic housing. Place the lens on, and tape it using masking tape or painter's tape, heat up the edges and tape it firmly. Allow it to set for at least 24 hours. The tighter its held on there, the better your seal. The seal these come with is VERY poor.

8. Repeat for the other side.

Any questions....feel free to ask. Mine will be modded shortly also

Now for pictures.....Here is what they light up as when you first get them (white but the camera gives it a blue hue)

The two of them together:

All apart (except the lens, I popped that off afterwards)

Orange glow:

With flash on:

The two of them again:

Last edited by LilSparkPlug on Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:33 pm

Very nice! :thumbup:
Edit:
Link: http://stores.ebay.com/SPEEDINFINITI

I tried it the way you had it spelled, and got nothing. That'll lean me to copy and paste! :D
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:50 pm

LOL Damn people and their screen names I spelt it right...but he has it spelt wrong. So who fails? Hmmmm.... :) I'll edit that.

supermike
2GN Member

Post by supermike » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:14 pm

Looks great! Nice how to, I wish the headlights were that easy. The more I see these fogs the more I like them, it's too bad, I have a 2000. I wonder if you could somehow retrofit them into the 00-02 housings? Probably not...

I must put them on my car somehow...
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000036 <--- Done

Sykora
2GN Member

Post by Sykora » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:17 pm

wow awesome crystal! sweet how-to
-Eric

contagious18
2010 Silver Contributor

Post by contagious18 » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:53 pm

ill do mine wen i get them
Antagonist crew| Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000031
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2569968
http://contagious209.mybrute.com

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:21 pm

haha, i have that keyboard. it rules
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:05 pm

These projector's also fit in an non srt right?
Nevermind they do.

Would it be smart to just convert to hid while they are apart?
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

shaggyak47
n00b

Post by shaggyak47 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:32 am

I hate to resurrect a dead thread, especially since I'm a newbie here and all, but I have an idea that I need some help with.

I was wondering if this mod could also be done on the headlight halos but with 2 colors. What I want to do is have both white and green leds in a set of headlight halos with the option to alternate between the two colors via some sort of switch.

I would like to have the white so they can still be used while driving, but I would also like to have the green simply for show (I'm going with a black/green scheme).

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Sat Apr 21, 2012 12:15 pm

Any chance you still have the pictures somewhere for this Crystal?
www.JohnyR.net - Web development

mutant littleman
2GN Member

Post by mutant littleman » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Johny I dont know wether or not it's the same thing you're looking for but I posted a similar how-to on neoncanada that you can check out I'm sure that it would be similar enough as it was for the halo projector headlights.
-Andrew

06 Saab 93 Aero Sportcombi, the power of a SRT with more room.

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:09 pm

mutant littleman wrote:Johny I dont know wether or not it's the same thing you're looking for but I posted a similar how-to on neoncanada that you can check out I'm sure that it would be similar enough as it was for the halo projector headlights.
Alright thanks Andrew :)
www.JohnyR.net - Web development

fox02neon
2GN Member

Post by fox02neon » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:57 am

Lil Plug I think you have mastered all! You Rock
foxo2neon

Return to “HT Exterior”