How To: Door Inserts

Paralyzer
2GN Member

How To: Door Inserts

Post by Paralyzer » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:56 pm

I waited a while before doing this mod because I couldn't decide how I wanted to do it. But now I have found out a way to do it and be happy with it. I have seen some people try it easier ways then how I did it, but I am very happy with the quality and show appearance it came out.

To start off I went to the local JoAnn's Craft store and bought 3 yards of vinyl to use. It was $6.99 a yard, but I also had a 40% off coupon. Over all I paid a little over $12 for the material. No, you will not need that much for the inserts, I have other plans with the rest. I also got some All Purpose Contact Cement, High Output Hot Glue Gun, and Soldering Iron which ran me about $20. You will probably have these items already.

So for this project you need to have the following:

Vinyl (only a half yard will do)
Contact Cement
Soldering Iron
Hair Dryer or heat gun (be careful with high wattage as they can scorch your vinyl)
High Output Hot Glue Gun
Good quality Glue Sticks ( I used Black OEM Industrial Glue sticks, these are hard to find but they are the best for automotive use)
A clean work space
A knife or something that you can pry with a little bit

First off you will remove your door panel as shown in the picture. (You will have to remove the window crank if you have one)

Next remove the cotton pad that is on the back of the panel. (just simply pull up on the points that is it glued to the panel)

Next you will be taking the plastic weld points out of the panel. You will do this by using your heated soldering iron to melt the plastic weld joints inward. (Be careful not to melt the panel only the plastic weld joint that will be white)

**Special Note** As you are melting the weld joints, pull on the insert on the other side of the panel. Doing this will save you time and grief. It is better to pull on the insert while the plastic is still warm so that it will not harden itself back on the panel. But make sure that you take your time.

Now that you have the Insert off, pull the factory material off of the insert. It will come off really easy and my ravel when you do this. Just make sure you get it all off..

Now go ahead and roll out some vinyl on the clean work space and then lay the insert down on it.

Now cut a rectangle around the insert leaving at least 1 inch on each end where the curves are.( This will allow the fold over to the back and also allow enough for you to pull on when the stretching process is needed.

Now that you have your material cut for the insert move everything away from the workspace but the insert. Now you can take you contact cement and brush it on evenly and in a thin coat. DO NOT PUT IT ON THICK, AS IT WILL SOAK INTO THE VINYL AND CAUSE THE MATERIAL TO HAVE A YELLOW COLOR TO IT! (while doing this step it would be a good idea to go ahead and plug your hot glue gun in to get it hot)

With that done, you will center the insert on the vinyl.

Get your hair dryer or heat gun and slowly warm up the vinyl. You will see the vinyl start to mold on it’s own around the insert. ( again don’t scorch the vinyl).

While the vinyl is still warm, start pulling on it on the two longest edges.

Once you have pulled them, take your hot glue gun and put a line of glue along the inside edge of the insert in the corner and fold over the vinyl and press it onto the hot glue.

Do this step to the other long side also. (If the vinyl has cooled, go ahead and heat it again)

Once you have done that, take your dryer or heat gun and slowly heat the face of the insert up. While doing this is, it is a good idea to prop your dryer on something because you will need both hands for this part. With the dryer on and heating up the vinyl, slowly use your hands to pull out as many wrinkles as possible. You will not get all of the wrinkles out of the vinyl at this point so don’t try.

Heat up the ends and pull on them to stretch out the material. Glue down the smaller end first as this will help get the pressure on that end and will allow better pulling ability on the bigger end.

Now heat up the bigger end really well and then pull on it. This should pull out several wrinkles that you may have. Once you have done that, hold it while it cools.(This will allow you to let the end mold around the insert and also allow the material to cool and form without wrinkles). Once you have that done, Heat just the end up where it curves and once it is warm, pull on it to tighten it up. I it will get even tighter once it starts to cool down. Keep tension on the material by pulling and also put your hot glue down on it and work the material to where you won’t get humps or creases in the material.

Let it set for a few minutes to let the glue cool down and also to see if there are wrinkles in the material. If there are you can heat it up again and then let it cool down. You may need to do this a couple of times until you are satisfied with it.

You are done with the insert! Now all you have to do it mount it back onto the door panel. For extra support put hot glue on the panel where the insert will be and then press the insert firmly onto it. Let it set just a few minutes to cool and settle well. Once that is done, flip over the panel and put hot glue at every factory plastic weld point. Let that cool once you are done. Set the panel off to the side for a good 15 minutes. Also it helps to take it into an air conditioned room to let the wrinkles fall out of it. Your done! Now enjoy your new style interior.

KrackstaR
Former Moderator

Post by KrackstaR » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:48 pm

very well done i like the final product. now for the trick how do you apply them back to the door.
Bella Lugrossi wrote: there's a thin line between being a hero and being a memory. ;)

Paralyzer
2GN Member

Re: How To: Door Inserts

Post by Paralyzer » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:58 pm

Paralyzer wrote: You are done with the insert! Now all you have to do it mount it back onto the door panel. For extra support put hot glue on the panel where the insert will be and then press the insert firmly onto it. Let it set just a few minutes to cool and settle well. Once that is done, flip over the panel and put hot glue at every factory plastic weld point. Let that cool once you are done. Set the panel off to the side for a good 15 minutes. Also it helps to take it into an air conditioned room to let the wrinkles fall out of it. Your done! Now enjoy your new style interior.
states in last paragraph.

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:12 pm

Definately good info!!!
Maybe my R/T needs some red inserts :D

dblsg
2GN Veteran

Post by dblsg » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:53 am

way to go para... thats some good info
Image Sam-I-Am
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000046
Diablo0 wrote: "eh... your opinion doesn't matter... I'm doing what I want..."

daaboots
2GN Member

Post by daaboots » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:20 pm

Excellent write up! Might have to try this some day. Do you have an installed pic?
2005 SX 2.0 - http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2092484
Rear sway bar brackets on sale! - viewtopic.php?t=19840
My Feedback - viewtopic.php?t=10546

Paralyzer
2GN Member

Post by Paralyzer » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:10 pm

Here is the install picture you are wanting. I will get more once I get a chance and it stops raining outside.

silverneon
2GN Member

Post by silverneon » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:22 am

Looks great!

Paralyzer
2GN Member

Post by Paralyzer » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:30 pm

Thanx.

gski4life
2GN Member

Post by gski4life » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:22 am

Question.....would you follow the same process for suede material? as far as the heating and glue is concerned
"Hold up, you mean to tell me a broken clock is right twice a day?" Brilliant...

Paralyzer
2GN Member

Post by Paralyzer » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:49 pm

no....do not use heat with that!....that material scorches really easy. if anything use a rag with water in warmed in a microwave and put it that into a plastic zip lock bag.....it will help you out a lot...but DO NOT use direct heat source on it.....(hair dryer, heat gun, ect....

SinfulNeon
2GN Member

Post by SinfulNeon » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:23 pm

wow thats a lot easier then I thought it would be, thanks for the how to, this will help a lot.
::WTB:: Dual or Tri-pod A-Pillar (black) : Passenger A-Pillar (Black) : AGP Dog Bone Motor Mounts : 1st Gen ACR Springs : Shorty Attn. :

SinfulNeon
2GN Member

Post by SinfulNeon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:03 pm

Well I finally got around to doing this myself, right now I only the front doors done will do the rears later.
I will upload a pic when the door panels are installed.
::WTB:: Dual or Tri-pod A-Pillar (black) : Passenger A-Pillar (Black) : AGP Dog Bone Motor Mounts : 1st Gen ACR Springs : Shorty Attn. :

Paralyzer
2GN Member

Post by Paralyzer » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:36 pm

Looks good. Those small ripples will come out over time so don.t worry about them. The heat and then cool down with make the vinyl form the mold. Again, good job. Did you follow my writeup, or just jump on it....I was just wondering because I tried to be as informative as possible.

SinfulNeon
2GN Member

Post by SinfulNeon » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:48 pm

ya I used your write as a ref. and ya it helped a lot, I did do a few things different like I couldnt find my soldering iron so I used a dremel to remove the panel but everything else I followed the write up.

Here is an installed pic.

yankeesking
2GN Member

Post by yankeesking » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:58 pm

SinfulNeon wrote:ya I used your write as a ref. and ya it helped a lot, I did do a few things different like I couldnt find my soldering iron so I used a dremel to remove the panel but everything else I followed the write up.

Here is an installed pic.

this is sooooooo HOT inside! Please tell me how you do the black inside? is it come with stock or you spray whole? That's exactly what I plan to do with my neon, but only black and red. My stock came with gary which i really hate about. PM me if u didn't want to detail here as off the topic. THANKS!

I apologize if its off the topic.

SinfulNeon
2GN Member

Post by SinfulNeon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:17 am

yankeesking wrote:this is sooooooo HOT inside! Please tell me how you do the black inside? is it come with stock or you spray whole? That's exactly what I plan to do with my neon, but only black and red. My stock came with gary which i really hate about. PM me if u didn't want to detail here as off the topic. THANKS!

I apologize if its off the topic.
Well I will keep it brief, the inside is black stock, the seats have custom seat covers which later down the road the actual seats will be done in the same fashion, I plan to take the a,b,c pillar and paint those a matching black, they are a light tan color now, the headliner will be done in the same color blue with a silver single strip down the center which will flare slightly in the front and back and drop from the rest of the headliner by 1/2" (kinda hard to explain) then my center console with the hvac and stereo will be silver , the ac vents will be blue and, the shifter nob will be blue and the e-brake will be silver so in the end it will all be semi balanced but not to extreme but I think still look great.

clackattack44
2GN Member

Post by clackattack44 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:03 am

how did you get the speakers to mount flush with the panels? hack out the covers??? pm me..
If we tune your NOS timer, you'll be runnin 9's.
He has enough NOS to blow himself up

HAHA

SinfulNeon
2GN Member

Post by SinfulNeon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:14 am

clackattack44 wrote:how did you get the speakers to mount flush with the panels? hack out the covers??? pm me..
Pmed and thanks guys for your positive feedback :D

If it wasnt for Paralyzer's how to I would have probably paid a small fortune having an upholstery shop do it for me so thanks for that. :rockon:

Paralyzer
2GN Member

Post by Paralyzer » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:10 am

no problem....yeah i went to a shop b4 I did mine and they was going to charge $175 each door...i said screw that and did it myself for a total of like $20 and 4 hours of labor....then i took it back to him and told him to choke on it...he couldn't believe the quality work I did..he offered me to start working with him because he said I had potential in the custom upolstery field.... lol.

SinfulNeon
2GN Member

Post by SinfulNeon » Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:34 am

yup and it was pretty easy too, if you noticed I didnt even have to take out the crap I had in the side pockets =p

SteelBlue
2GN Member

Post by SteelBlue » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:19 pm

I'm chiming in late but that is a really great write up Paralyzer! I've had a spare set of door inserts just sitting around waiting for me to mess with so this may be a winter project. :wink:

Oh, has anyone taken the trim off a 1gn? Instead of melted plastic those inserts have thin strips of metal that just bend over holding it into place.. Wonder how hard it would be to do that instead of adhesive since you could swap the panel pieces a lot easier... One for every day of the week? lol.

Jenni - that looks so much classier than the stock US version. Great job. :D
Crystal
02 Neon - SteelBlue, 08 Caliber SRT - Inferno Red, 08 Caliber SRT - Brilliant Black

SinfulNeon
2GN Member

Post by SinfulNeon » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:53 pm

oh well if and of you is going to use hot glue use some high temp stuff not to long ago I had some hot days in a row and it remelted the hot glue so one of my panels popped off so I picked up some gorillaz and now its not going no where. ^_^

crashpaq
2GN Member

Post by crashpaq » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:12 pm

heres a set that i did on my old 1gn.

nunley
2GN Member

Post by nunley » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:19 pm

I did mine just like the how-to, except I used glu-stik for the fabric and super glued the plastic rivets back together.

even my girlfriend like them

Paralyzer
2GN Member

Post by Paralyzer » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:23 pm

I am so glad that I finally did something good for the community on here. My first how-to and it seemed to benifit others out there. I was worried that it wasn't in detail enough but it seems like it was. Great work guys and keep them coming. Again thanx for letting me know that I was able to help.

Just as a note....as stated above, use high temp glue. If you don't, the summer heat can be your enemy.

Themaggots
2GN Member

Post by Themaggots » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:44 am

Sorry for the late post but this is a great how to. Will definitely do it.

Do you think the same method could be used to do the seats?

IGotYourDoughnut
2GN Member

Post by IGotYourDoughnut » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 pm

SinfulNeon wrote:
clackattack44 wrote:how did you get the speakers to mount flush with the panels? hack out the covers??? pm me..
Pmed and thanks guys for your positive feedback :D

If it wasnt for Paralyzer's how to I would have probably paid a small fortune having an upholstery shop do it for me so thanks for that. :rockon:
you mind telling me also?

theTeejmiester
2GN Member

Post by theTeejmiester » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:41 am

i want to know bout the speakers too! that looks sweet :thumbup:
Ziptie's come in handy when a prostitute gets mouthy or reluctant
*eye twitches*
I like people who BUY a 10 sec car and then brag about it. Thats like hiring someone to bang your wife and then bragging about the kid

Return to “HT Interior”