How To: Replacing the heater core

BoKu
2GN Member

How To: Replacing the heater core

Post by BoKu » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:35 pm

I replaced my leaking heater core this weekend. It took most of a day, but certainly not all day:

http://www.hpaircraft.net/neon/heater_core.htm

I don't think that's a real how-to report, since it is not really a complete and authoritative procedure. You definitely need the service manual for that job!

Thanks, Bob "BoKu" K.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:58 pm

Complete enough for most folks! Very nice write up.

It should prolly be moved to the "How to Section" if there are no arguments...
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

BoKu
2GN Member

Post by BoKu » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:27 pm

occasional demons wrote:...It should prolly be moved to the "How to Section" if there are no arguments...
No objection from me!

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Dec 11, 2010 11:00 pm

Looking through the howto, is it possible to reinstall the dash with the entire HVAC assembly removed?
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

BoKu
2GN Member

I thin so...

Post by BoKu » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:52 pm

ZeroChad wrote:Looking through the howto, is it possible to reinstall the dash with the entire HVAC assembly removed?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure you can do that. I don't remember seeing anything that would prevent it.

Of course, if you do that you ought to take out the AC compressor and AC condenser and all the AC plumbing as well. They're just a bunch of dead weight without the HVAC box.

Oh, you will want to install a bypass tube to connect the two hoses that normally supply coolant to the heater core together. It's probably best not to just cap them off. That might disrupt the normal functioning of the thermostat. I've heard arguments both ways, that it matters and that it doesn't matter. The easiest thing is to mimic the flow of the heater core with a bypass, and not have to find out.

Thanks, Bob "BoKu" K.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Re: I thin so...

Post by occasional demons » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:47 pm

BoKu wrote:
Oh, you will want to install a bypass tube to connect the two hoses that normally supply coolant to the heater core together. It's probably best not to just cap them off. That might disrupt the normal functioning of the thermostat. I've heard arguments both ways, that it matters and that it doesn't matter. The easiest thing is to mimic the flow of the heater core with a bypass, and not have to find out.

Thanks, Bob "BoKu" K.

You definitely want coolant flowing there. It is the only circulation the engine has with the t'stat shut. You could remove the heater tubes all together, and just run some rubber hose from the head nipple to the water pump inlet nipple.

It may not matter in some of the older V8's that have a t'stat bypass from the IM to the water pump. But the 2.0 uses the heater core as the bypass.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

ZeroChad
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by ZeroChad » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:31 pm

Ah cool. I was aware of the other things, I just wasn't sure if the Dash depended upon the HVAC for mounting points.
Old Neon Log | Feedback

2000 - Corvette Coupe
2002 - Neon SE Fully Built (scrapped)

greybox
2GN Member

Post by greybox » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:02 pm

Wow....I read that just cuz I have a leak-I hope I never have to do this!

nicksdad06
2GN Member

Post by nicksdad06 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:27 pm

i just looped my heater lines
dodge neon
Also known as a Piece-o-Shit, this car has to be the worst car ever made. Although it may look cool and have a great name, this car has many defects. Everything from gaping holes in the back floor panel, to missing interior, from failing clutches, to having the clear coat applied before the paint, this car takes the cake as the worlds worst idea of a car.

wickedgood4684
2GN Member

Post by wickedgood4684 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:49 pm

Should also be noted that complete removal of the dash is NOT necessary. Needs to be unbolted enough to swing the passengers side of the dash outwards so that the HVAC assembly can be removed through the passengers side/door
SRT-4 Challenge series
Season 1 Champion: gotheframe/tim and corey
Season 2 Champion: Greasydeuce/Dmonday
NTCC
Winter Series:
Drivers Chamion: Neon Nick/Squat BIG
Team Champions: Team Acura: miniMench & wicked221
Rookie of the year: Patriot 01/xxPATRIOT 01xx

my87csx481
2GN Member

Post by my87csx481 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:33 pm

sorry for the thread revival....

My FSM states that the o-rings for the accumulator connection be replaced and oiled. Did you do this? Where did you get the o-rings? Part #? (so I can double check the parts guy)

Thanks.
ImageImageImage
I figure I'll be rich in few years because I'll have boycotted buying just about everything from just about everyone.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:23 am

Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

my87csx481
2GN Member

Post by my87csx481 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:27 pm

Ok, so, I've got everything apart. Thanks for the picture guide. I would have followed the service manual and performed a bunch of unnecessary stuff. Anyway, sure enough, my heater core has been leaking inside the HVAC box. I open up the brand new Mopar heater core box and....drum roll....it's made in china. WTF???? Really???? I'm pissed. :cussing: I could have bought a china part from any other auto parts store for way less than half of what I paid for the alleged mopar part. :cussing:

Anybody else replace theirs with a mopar part and find it to be a bit starchy in it's molecular structure? (that is, a china special?)

Such a sad day. Sorry if I offended anyone. I work in manufacturing and have some issues with china, and american companies that give up and out source to them.
ImageImageImage
I figure I'll be rich in few years because I'll have boycotted buying just about everything from just about everyone.

wickedgood4684
2GN Member

Post by wickedgood4684 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:26 am

Welcome to a world economy. Know that this will not change. Better get used to it.
SRT-4 Challenge series
Season 1 Champion: gotheframe/tim and corey
Season 2 Champion: Greasydeuce/Dmonday
NTCC
Winter Series:
Drivers Chamion: Neon Nick/Squat BIG
Team Champions: Team Acura: miniMench & wicked221
Rookie of the year: Patriot 01/xxPATRIOT 01xx

my87csx481
2GN Member

Post by my87csx481 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:09 am

Yes, I know.

But for the price I paid, I was expecting Mexico or Canada. Never thought I'd see China. The original has Mexico molded right into the side tank. The new one has a China sticker, distributed by a company that has a Texas address.

Oh well. Live and learn. I've got to remember to ask the country of orign before ordering from now on, so I'll at least know ahead of time.

Even a lot of the napa stuff is (not surprisingly) made in China now. So much for "get the good stuff".

Sorry for venting. I'll report back when I get the job done, hopefully in a few hours or so, working at a leisurely pace.
ImageImageImage

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:17 am

my87csx481 wrote: Such a sad day. Sorry if I offended anyone. I work in manufacturing and have some issues with china, and american companies that give up and out source to them.
Offended ?? No.
I think that most people on this board, would AGREE with you.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Write a letter to Chrysler about your dis satisfaction with paying a premium price for Chinese made parts. I would be pissed also if I paid dealer price for something I could have gotten from ebay.

But unless it was special order, you could return it, and be down for another day...

customerassist@chrysler.com might get you pointed in the right direction where to voice your complaint. If no one complains, it won't end at heater cores....
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “HT Interior”