How To: Repair a broken door pull

occasional demons
Junior Admin

How To: Repair a broken door pull

Post by occasional demons » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:47 pm

For when the plastic at the bottom of the door pull/armrest breaks away from the screw.

First, remove the door panel, leaving the screw that is in the armrest pocket, so the plastic tab that is broken off doesn't get lost.

Once the door panel is off, remove the armrest/door pull so it is easier to work with. There are four T-20 screws.

Then set the door panel aside, or use it as a work suface if you don't have a table to work from.

Next use some plastic repair epoxy available at most hardware stores/retail. Glue the plastic part (that you left screwed to the door), back onto the bottom of the pull. Let it cure.

Then for reinforcement, as I'm sure the epoxy won't hold it too well, get a fender washer, and drill some holes in it.

Then place it over the hole for the screw. I mixed more epoxy, and applied it to the washer.

Then I carefully drilled the plastic below the holes in the washer, making sure not to drill through the rubber layer that is the bottom of your door pull.

I used 3/16" rivets that are about 3/4" long, and riveted it into place.

Then reinstall the armrest onto the door panel.

This works very well. The door pull feels very solid when closing the door. Maybe better than it did before it broke.

I still need to do the passenger side, so if there are some questions, possiblt I can address them when I do that side. Mother Nature wasn't being helpful, so I only finished one side.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:21 pm

Thank you for posting this, Bill.

I've had to do this to mine, as well....

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Actually, I wouldn't have done it yet, but the E clip for the lock cylinder broke, so I had to unlock the passenger door to unlock the driver door. So while the panel was off... :roll:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “HT Interior”