How to: Fog lights on w/o headlights on

keeders08
2GN Member

Post by keeders08 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:55 pm

2k1MotorSport wrote:I like the fact that i won't be able to turn them off.. They are on all the time anyway
Thats just me dood. I like to be in control of things in my car.
Keeders
[KUTTER AUTO]
Formerly Of Warner Robins/Bonaire, Ga
aaaw no son, not a bacon slice!!

2k1MotorSport
2011 Gold Contributor

Post by 2k1MotorSport » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:18 pm

well you could always ridup a toggle switch and mount it in the fuse pannel on the drivers side of the car, so you could switch it back and fourth when you want
-Scott

keeders08
2GN Member

Post by keeders08 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:38 pm

2k1MotorSport wrote:well you could always ridup a toggle switch and mount it in the fuse pannel on the drivers side of the car, so you could switch it back and fourth when you want
i actually already have a switch there mounted into the plastic right by where my left knee would be. I used to have a 2nd set of fogs hooked up to it. But I doubt the switch is heavy duty enough for the stock fogs...and I'd also need to run a fuse... too much trouble for what its worth probably.
Keeders
[KUTTER AUTO]

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:49 am

keeders08 wrote:
2k1MotorSport wrote:I like the fact that i won't be able to turn them off.. They are on all the time anyway
http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=3104

keeders08
2GN Member

Post by keeders08 » Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:56 am

BlackRoseRacing wrote:
keeders08 wrote:
http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=3104
I didn't bother readin that lol but i'm assuming thats the PT Cruiser Multi-Switch sir?? My dad is the one who told me about that actually a long time ago when i was complaining that i loved my WRX's Fogs, how i could just push the button in and they'd come on. How hard, in your opinion, is it to switch to the PT Multi?
Keeders
[KUTTER AUTO]

daddychriss
n00b

Post by daddychriss » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:47 pm

is it possible to just wire the fog lights to come on when the brights do?

keeders08
2GN Member

Post by keeders08 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:38 am

daddychriss wrote:is it possible to just wire the fog lights to come on when the brights do?
My personal opinion would be yes, just need to find the right wires, which is easy....
only thing that i personally would think you'd have to do is AMP up with the HIGH BEAM fuse... like if it take a 15AMP fuse, you'd have to see what your total amps would be to run both...... i completely forget how to calculate it, but i dont think u just add 10=fogs and ??=High Beam and get like 30amps.. lol

Someone else will probably post and let you know more....
Keeders
[KUTTER AUTO]

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:49 am

How hard, in your opinion, is it to switch to the PT Multi?
Well this topic your posting in was started as an alternative to the mods I did. The mod I did was an alternative to the mod found on the ORG involving you drilling out roll pins.
I think the setup I did took more time researching than anything. I'd say if you already have the PT switch and know how to do minor wiring, the mod I did will take an hour tops...
A select few people at carlisle actually tried out the switch on my car and loved the idea of having the control like a pt cruiser does.

sneakers O'toole
2GN Member

Post by sneakers O'toole » Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:09 am

fwiw, my car just failed inspection for this mod. but passed with it last year. just something to keep in mind to maybe switch the wires back real quick before inspection...it only takes like 5 minutes anyway.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000004... or not..

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Wed May 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Sorry to bring this up from the dead, but does the interior lighting (cluster, hvac) also light up when the switch is on position 2 (fogs now?).
www.JohnyR.net - Web development

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:44 pm

do your interior lights currently come one when the fogs are on? They should haha. The only thing this changes is the fogs coming on when the headlights should and headlights for fogs. Everything else is the same still :smile:
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

Johny
2GN Member

Post by Johny » Wed May 11, 2011 7:33 pm

haha good point ryan, thanks bro :p
www.JohnyR.net - Web development

thecause17
2011 Gold Contributor

Post by thecause17 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:46 pm

I'll most likely be writing a how-to on how to do a similar mod that will allow you to have your fogs on with parking lights, but they will be able to be turned off, as well as still staying legal by shutting off with high beams. Here's a link to a how-to I wrote on another forumfor 1st gens to do this.
http://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-neo ... -redo.html

It'll be similar to this to make it work properly, but with a slight difference because of the function of the MFS. I've already drawn up the circuit, it's just a matter of me finding a time to pull the car in the garage and do it, snap photos, and write it up.
2002 R/T(SOLD)

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Sun May 15, 2011 10:18 am

FYI, the fogs still turn off with the high beams when you use this method.
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

thecause17
2011 Gold Contributor

Post by thecause17 » Sun May 15, 2011 10:26 am

True, but it's still doesn't function as a factory setup. Seems like a lot of people would like to have the control of turning them off and on as well. My 1st gen function exactly as a vehicle equipped with these features from the factory. It's more in depth than this, and uses relays to do it, so it's definately a lot more work. I'm not trying to put your how-to down or anything so please don't take it that way.
2002 R/T(SOLD)

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Sun May 15, 2011 10:53 am

Not my how to lol.

And I would also like a way to use the foglights like you can in a 1gn once they are changed. Just never put enough effort into it to figure anything out.
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

03SXTGUY
2GN Member

Post by 03SXTGUY » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:23 am

Has anyone had any troubles doing this? I just went out and did it - and although the mod worked, my wipers are constantly on (just to be clear - this is only when the stalk is turned all the way (2-clicks), as in turning on the headlights. It does not do it when turned just to running lights (1-click))! lol Luckily I connected with male/female connectors for easy switch-back...The purple/white is fuse 18 - RT HD LMP LO BEAM and the pink/green striped is fuse 19 Fog Lmp Front...I don't know why my wipers are being involved?? They are ran on fuse 2...and fuse 17 LT HD LAMP LO BEAM does not have any connections coming out of it - this is normal, right?

Possibly a bad ground? But I don't see why that would be...if they are grounded perfectly fine when the wires are as they should be - but not when they are swapped?

P.S. The MFS was just replaced not even a year ago as the original one started acting funny (fog lights would shut off when the turn signal was engaged, etc.). The new one works perfectly as it should. Also, remember - when the male/female connectors are not swapped, everything works as it should (running lights 1-click, headlights 2-clicks, fog lights engage when switch is pulled out, wipers only engage when "asked" to lol...). It is only when I switch the fog and headlight wires do I get this problem... :tardbang:

UPDATE/FIX
It turned out to be the ground was loose next to the right-hand headlamp! My mechanic must not have screwed it down tight enough (as it was partially unscrewed, actually) after doing my TB/WP/Thermo job just the other day - I hadn't driven at night until this morning so I never realized the problem beforehand. I was so worried I seriously screwed up my MFS or even worse the fuse panel/wiring harness by doing this mod! Thank goodness it wasn't. I'm going to go back out and re-do this mod now that I know it wasn't the cause of the possessiveness :thumbup:

Thanks yellowpatrol, great results bro!

- Ben -

'03 Silver Neon SXT 2.0 SOHC w/ some stuff
Charlotte's Progress Log

Return to “HT Electrical”