How To:Shutting down the AC on windscreen on the blower mode

JerryR
2GN Member

How To:Shutting down the AC on windscreen on the blower mode

Post by JerryR » Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:24 pm

After some puzzling, I had figured it out

I found it very annoying that the blower on the windscreen could not continue without the air conditioning would go to!

after this mod the airco only works on AC mode

It is very simple.

Step 1:
Remove your center console (gray striped or wood motif) around your radio.

Step 2:
Turn the 4 screws from the heater / air conditioning control loose

Step 3:
Remove the heater / air conditioning controls go, (cables, Electro, vacuum tubes)

This picture shows the way in which the cables stuck
this is down to 1 side clicked

Step 4
Put the controls on a flat object (table), this is necessary because otherwise parts can fall.

Step 5
Now rotate the right gear (MODE switch) to the point that it runs smoothly, even this may be a little bit backwards.

Step 6

Now look between the gear and the housing in, you see a piece of copper (drag contacts)
They sit around the axle. Temove this copper (break it) with a small screwdriver.

Step 7
Assemble everything back. and the AC will no longer work at the blower Mode (mode button to right)

GOOD LUCK!

I hope everything is in good english becouse my english is BAD
:banghead:

if someone wants to check the text en send it to my PM or Email
i will change it THANKS

greetings Jerry
look @ my Website www.JerryR.eu

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:11 pm

:shock:

I just cut and installed a switch in the A/C sense wire, so it can be turned on or off. The A/C on humid rainy days, makes for a much quicker clearing of the windscreen. I'm not too keen on "permanent" mods. But if it works for you that's all that matters.
Just remember if you sell the car, it will require a trip to the JY/dealership to fix your mod. I wouldn't want the legal issues of selling a car that has a potential saftey issue. (Blocked vision) All I need to do to reverse mine is solder the wires back together, and insulate them. IIRC there is a how to or thread on this already.
I'm not knocking you, there is just a much easier way to accomplish what you did. But that's why we are here to share info.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

JerryR
2GN Member

Post by JerryR » Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:50 pm

the AC still works on je AC mode on the windscreen.

the time... in takes 15 minutes to do the job

here in The Netherlands its legal i can cell the car with this mod. i didn't know that it was iligal in the US.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:38 pm

I wouldn't say it was illegal, just leaves it open for liable legal actions. You can get your ass sued off for anything here.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Adionik
2GN Member

Post by Adionik » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:49 pm

People sell cars with a LOT more legal ramifications than this little mod...hell have of them come with "ice cold A/C's" that blow out hot air
dank(r/t) wrote:you tell 'em altezza light, black headlight cover guy!
you know what's up, it's obvious.
TheRandom1 wrote:Adionik, you're an asshole, we all know this.

supermike
2GN Member

Post by supermike » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:34 pm

occasional demons wrote:
I just cut and installed a switch in the A/C sense wire, so it can be turned on or off. The A/C on humid rainy days, makes for a much quicker clearing of the windscreen.

Perfect! I really want to be able to keep the compressor from running, but I don't think i want it to be that permanent, because like you said, it would be nice to have it when it's humid. What color is the wire you installed the switch in? I assume it would be in the gray harness that comes off the back of the hvac control?

Also, if I spliced an LED into the same wire but after the switch, would the LED come on only when the ac is engaged and the knob is in the windscreen position? I hope that makes sense. I could just buy a lighted switch, but I've got an unlit switch and an LED right here... and I really want to do this.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:49 pm

I would need to pull it off to look, It's been a while, but I am fairly sure it is the dark blue/yellow tracer. How I found it was by accident. I put a grounded test light on the wire, (probed IIRC) and the compressor kicked on. (The engine was running.)
OK looked at the FSM.
That wire goes to the A/C Cycling Switch in the wiring diagram, so I think that's it. I just put a small latching button switch in the bezel, from Radio Shack. But it is starting to go bad. I will prolly just replace it with a rocker switch mounted elsewhere.

Edit: IDK if an LED would work, I know jus grounding through the light turned on the compressor. I have thought about that too, but never really followed through, due to it being so sensitive. With the button I have now if you don't remember which way it was you have to wait to see if the A/C kicks on to know if it is on or off. I think if the lighted rocker has the light on a different circuit, it would not interfere with the cycling switch.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

supermike
2GN Member

Post by supermike » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:54 pm

Alright, thanks, I know what I'm doing tomorrow!
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000036 <--- Done

supermike
2GN Member

Post by supermike » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:40 pm

Cool, works like a charm. I have no idea how or why though, because according to my test light, there's never any current in the wire, at least not enough to light the light? I put in an LED but it never turned on?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:29 pm

I think it could be the ground path. The test light filiment completes the circuit, so the A/C cycle switch thinks it is grounded, and kicks on the A/C. IDK of any way to get a steady light to indicate that it is swiched on.
Edit: Yes, it is the ground path. The A/C cycling mode switch output wire goes through the blower switch position #'s 10 through 13, and the Mode switch, position #5 (defrost) to ground.
So there is current there, just not voltage. Hope that makes sense to you. Either way, it won't power anything.
Re-edit: Possibly if you use a double pole single throw switch (two circuits, one switch), the DB/YL wire can be run though one pole, and a seperate power source to the LED through the other pole.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:08 am

OK thinking some more, the LED is a diode, so maybe if you put the neg. side to the DB/YL wire and supplied power from a ign. switched power feed, It may work. The thing IDk is if it will damage the cycling switch by putting + voltage to it when the switch is off, as it will be looking for a ground path.
The FSM doesn't show the internal wiring for the cycling switch.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

supermike
2GN Member

Post by supermike » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:47 am

Hey thanks for that. I figured it would almost have to be just a ground. I'm satisfied with it, I guess I don't need badly enough to try anything more.
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000036 <--- Done

JerryR
2GN Member

Post by JerryR » Sun Jan 04, 2009 6:49 am

supermike wrote:Alright, thanks, I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

yes thats the one the most left wire DarkBlue Yellow

spencersummerfield
2GN Member

Post by spencersummerfield » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:24 pm

If I am reading this right and I may not, this mod is Just to stop the AC from running unless using the AC side of the control knob...

there is an even easier way of doing this it involves a drill and 20 seconds. I will post a picture later. you drill one of the contact from the front of the HVAC and then AC ONLY runs when selected...
2008 Audi A3 - 6 Speed, 2.0T S Line

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:45 pm

spencersummerfield wrote:If I am reading this right and I may not, this mod is Just to stop the AC from running unless using the AC side of the control knob...
Yes, basically. Just so it doesn't run in the defrost mode. But depending on humidity, it is nice to have it as an option. I mainly like the ability to shut it off in the winter for faster heat up at the windscreen. Even in short bursts the A/C seems to cool the air quite a bit slowing down ice removal. (Mainly during warm up, freezing rain conditions)
But on heavy humidity days it will barely keep the windscreen clear without the A/C.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

spencersummerfield
2GN Member

Post by spencersummerfield » Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:49 pm

Drill this copper strip and done.

supermike
2GN Member

Post by supermike » Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:53 pm

What if you change your mind....... or sell the car?

spencersummerfield
2GN Member

Post by spencersummerfield » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:56 pm

supermike wrote:What if you change your mind....... or sell the car?
ANyone who wants AC uses the AC side... it;s just a dial and it can always be fixed with a small amount of soldier.

shtoopid
n00b

Post by shtoopid » Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:17 pm

Thanks! Using the drill was a very easy mod, only took a few minutes to do. I don't like the A/C coming on when I don't turn it on. I know the difference between fog and frost, the A/C only helps remove the foggy stuff. If I want the A/C to cycle, hey, I can turn the knob the other way and turn on the A/C!

I also removed the bar that made it so only outside air could hit the windshield. I'm perfectly capable of turning that knob myself as well!

CSMaverick07
2GN Member

Post by CSMaverick07 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:08 am

shtoopid wrote: I also removed the bar that made it so only outside air could hit the windshield. I'm perfectly capable of turning that knob myself as well!
Wait, how does that work? Isn't the intake for recirculation the same vent that blows the defrost? How can it do both at the same time.. :scratch:
-Spencer

2002 Neon R/T

danman132x
2GN Member

Post by danman132x » Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:41 am

spencersummerfield wrote:Image
Drill this copper strip and done.
Thanks. I didn't know this worked for 2nd gens. I did this same mod to my first gen and it sure is helpful when you don't need the ac running.
2003 Dodge Neon R/T

http://myspace.com/danman132x

Return to “HT Electrical”