How To: ALL of my lighting mods inside and out

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:07 am

Well depending on the quality of my ebay ones I got my LEDs for 8 cents a piece..
05 OB SRT-4 - AGP Stg 3 Delta 44 Turbo w/ Supporting mods
98 Platinum Coupe - 2.4 Swap
98 Flame Red Sedan - DD Slow
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

OhNo2.0
2GN Member

Post by OhNo2.0 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:45 am

I ordered 10 of these for the dash and my other guages I have in the console plus the shifter light.

2 of these for the dome and license plate light.

and 4 of these for the hvac.

I'm trying different LEDS instead of LSP just to see if cheaping out on leds is really worth is (as you can see I went with the single larger wide angle leds for the guages) and the color is between blue and cool white (which looks like it may match my audio equip lights better.

Once they come in I will post before and after pics, that way we will know if different leds will work for the same application. Plus my route was WAY cheaper ;)

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:23 am

heydockyle: Yes but UV bulbs are not that bright, so using a strip would be more beneficial when trying to find shit in the trunk. LOL Yes definitely do a report :) I want to know

SRTGTR: Not for nothing but when I purchase pink leds from oznium (granted pink are THE most difficult to make) I've had over a 50% failure rate with them. So spending 7.99 doesn't seem to be too bad honestly.

OhNo2.0: You purchased inverted LEDs, which have a direct beam pattern and not a wide angle for the instrument cluster. They are going to be dim, and you are gong to have dark spots. Your dome light shouldn't be a 194, unless there's something I don't know but the License plate light will work just fine...and better than the dash ones. The Neo-wedges you purchased are the type I used to have and as long as you got the right size they aren't too bad.

I have had every type of LED imaginable in my dash cluster. I have tested and tried more than most people to come up with the best, brightest and easiest way to do this. I had the inverted LEDs...too many dark spots and they aren't bright enough hence why I upgraded to the 5 WLEDs. I also had 4WLEDs in there at one point, better but still the angle wasn't wide enough. You got them cheap so test them and see what happens, but I remember from my first dash setup that the output was poor.

OhNo2.0
2GN Member

Post by OhNo2.0 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:11 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:heydockyle: Yes but UV bulbs are not that bright, so using a strip would be more beneficial when trying to find shit in the trunk. LOL Yes definitely do a report :) I want to know

SRTGTR: Not for nothing but when I purchase pink leds from oznium (granted pink are THE most difficult to make) I've had over a 50% failure rate with them. So spending 7.99 doesn't seem to be too bad honestly.

OhNo2.0: You purchased inverted LEDs, which have a direct beam pattern and not a wide angle for the instrument cluster. They are going to be dim, and you are gong to have dark spots. Your dome light shouldn't be a 194, unless there's something I don't know but the License plate light will work just fine...and better than the dash ones. The Neo-wedges you purchased are the type I used to have and as long as you got the right size they aren't too bad.

I have had every type of LED imaginable in my dash cluster. I have tested and tried more than most people to come up with the best, brightest and easiest way to do this. I had the inverted LEDs...too many dark spots and they aren't bright enough hence why I upgraded to the 5 WLEDs. I also had 4WLEDs in there at one point, better but still the angle wasn't wide enough. You got them cheap so test them and see what happens, but I remember from my first dash setup that the output was poor.
I thought I would try the inverted since my smaller guages on the console don't need that bright of a light, if the cluster is too dim they have 10paks of the 5 bulbs for $20.

And my dome light was a larger 194 but the one I bought should do. My car is a 2000 chrysler btw I don't think you knew that, thats ok pictures are deceiving. I pulled it out and checked last night.

And to confirm on the neos which size is the correct size again? By this thread and others I was asuming it was the 3mm...
Last edited by OhNo2.0 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OhNo2.0
2GN Member

Post by OhNo2.0 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:32 pm

I reconsidered your input there LSP...I guess too bright is not an issue since I can just twist the handle back a knotch. I contacted the seller to see if I can change my order to the 5leds like your current setup but only in spark blue instead. Since it looks to be in the middle of the 2 you have used...and I am looking for a little darker tone then your current setup. the spark blue and the color on the guages should add up to be pretty close to my other lights...I guess I'll find out.
LilSparkPlug wrote:Yep, it's that easy. The 5mm from superbrightleds.com do not fit. The 5mm from autolumination.com do fit..and the 3mm from oznium.com fit for sure. OB is testing the 4mm from superbrightleds.com as was previously mentioned in this thread.

There are different designs to the same mm bulb which is why some 5mms fit and others do not.
Thats just too confusing, the oznium doesn't even list a size anywhere but it looks more like the 4MM on any site I look at and the base size of my stock bulb matches the 4mm better...

This thread wasn't too clear on which size is acurate...it's neither here nor there.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:08 pm

Honestly, no offense here but you are the only person confused by this thread between two forums. How much more straightforward can this thread be? It tells you what to order, what NOT to order and where to get them with exact links.

Oznium's fit I'm running them right now.
Autolumination's 5mm fit I ran them before.
SuperBrightLEDs 5mm DO NOT fit.

The bulb socket isn't always dependant on the size, the mm is the size of the bulb, not necessarily the socket. This is why the 5mm from Autolumination fit, and the 5mm from SuperBrightLEDs do NOT fit...different style sockets/bulbs for the same mm. (cylindrical inverted vs. rounded diffused to be technical)

I mean not to be an asshole or anything but it's placed there in plain english exactly what works best, how to do it and where to get it. If you choose to do it a different way or buy it from somewhere else so be it. I cannot guarantee you anything at that point. But inverted LEDs are NOT wide angle, are not brighter and will cause hot spots. The usage of the 5WLEDs is for a nice combination of uniformity and brightness.

OhNo2.0
2GN Member

Post by OhNo2.0 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:55 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:Honestly, no offense here but you are the only person confused by this thread between two forums. How much more straightforward can this thread be? It tells you what to order, what NOT to order and where to get them with exact links.

Oznium's fit I'm running them right now.
Autolumination's 5mm fit I ran them before.
SuperBrightLEDs 5mm DO NOT fit.

The bulb socket isn't always dependant on the size, the mm is the size of the bulb, not necessarily the socket. This is why the 5mm from Autolumination fit, and the 5mm from SuperBrightLEDs do NOT fit...different style sockets/bulbs for the same mm. (cylindrical inverted vs. rounded diffused to be technical)

I mean not to be an asshole or anything but it's placed there in plain english exactly what works best, how to do it and where to get it. If you choose to do it a different way or buy it from somewhere else so be it. I cannot guarantee you anything at that point. But inverted LEDs are NOT wide angle, are not brighter and will cause hot spots. The usage of the 5WLEDs is for a nice combination of uniformity and brightness.
Understood LSP I get frustrated trying to explain shit to people as well to.

Let me clarify. In your FIRST post you said superleds didn't sell the correct leds in 3mm at your time of purchase so you bought the "3mm" corvette ones.

Well im just trying to help but on the corvette light page if you click on pics the base measurement adds up to be .374 INCH which is pretty much 10mm, and on all three sites ai, sbl, and ebay the 4mm is the correct base size to order. and oznium doesn't even state the size(if they used to they must have modified the page).

Please confirm before you get more pissed off ! LOL

I believe the correct base is the 4mm base. You can also see that the corvette base matches the 4mm on the other 2 sites.

I'm thinking the smaller 8mm may JUST fit but the correct base size is 10mm.

Pissed off yet? :shock:
Last edited by OhNo2.0 on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OB
Former Moderator

Post by OB » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:38 pm

^You're findings seem to be correct. I just sent back some 5mm WLEDs because they were too big. Using the spec sheet on SBL, I also found that the 4mm are the closest to the OEM base. However, from what I can tell, some manufactures use different sized bases on the same sized lens. I.E. a "5mm" LED from SBL might have a larger base than a "5mm" unit from Oznium. I only assume this because LSP was able to use a 5mm WLED that she didn't get from SBL. My 5mm WLEDs from SBL didn't even come close.

P.S. How does .374mm = 10mm? :tardbang:

:rofl: JK I know what you meant.
-Derek

|Donate to 2gn|Feedback || OB's | GozziFab | All Business |

OhNo2.0
2GN Member

Post by OhNo2.0 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:52 pm

OB wrote:^You're findings seem to be correct. I just sent back some 5mm WLEDs because they were too big. Using the spec sheet on SBL, I also found that the 4mm are the closest to the OEM base. However, from what I can tell, some manufactures use different sized bases on the same sized lens. I.E. a "5mm" LED from SBL might have a larger base than a "5mm" unit from Oznium. I only assume this because LSP was able to use a 5mm WLED that she didn't get from SBL. My 5mm WLEDs from SBL didn't even come close.

P.S. How does .374mm = 10mm? :tardbang:

:rofl: JK I know what you meant.
Fixed!

And this could also be a case of them sending the right size by chance or knowing it was 4 a neon? Not sure but I'm not LSP so I don't know.

I guess we will have to see when the 4mms come in. And oznium doesn't say anything about 5mm, just C5 (which also pertains to Corvette).

I think LSP ordered from oznium, that base size is 10mm likewise with all the 4mm's at the other stores that all have 10mm bases like stock.

Just trying to help other people out so they don't order the wrong part like I almost did lol

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:16 pm

OhNo2.0 wrote: Understood LSP I get frustrated trying to explain shit to people as well to.

Let me clarify. In your FIRST post you said superleds didn't sell the correct leds in 3mm at your time of purchase so you bought the "3mm" corvette ones.

Well im just trying to help but on the corvette light page if you click on pics the base measurement adds up to be .374 INCH which is pretty much 10mm, and on all three sites ai, sbl, and ebay the 4mm is the correct base size to order. and oznium doesn't even state the size(if they used to they must have modified the page).

I believe the correct base is the 4mm base. You can also see that the corvette base matches the 4mm on the other 2 sites.

Yes...you are aggravating me. Why you ask?

First off.....

The bulbs fit, I have them, they work the best out of anything else out there. Why are you trying to help a cause that has already been perfected??? You aren't helping anything by confusing people....sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

Furthermore.....

You are interpreting that 3mm and 5mm are base sizes and they are not...they are BULB sizes. 3-5mm bulbs can use the same size base....anything above 5mm needs a larger base.

Oznium has THREE MM BULBS. NOT bases. The bases should be 10mm...but that isn't what I'm referring to when I am stating the mm of the LED. A 5mm LED is just that...a 5mm LED.

And.....

Read your post...it doesn't even make sense! In the two bolded sections you contradict yourself by 6mm. For the love of god stop confusing people. :banghead:

Lastly....

You shouldn't THINK I ordered from Oznium, I SAID I ordered from Oznium. I gave them a chance because I wanted white...and they fit. Now....had you ordered the parts from the links I provided you wouldn't have "amost" ordered the wrong part. You chose to use Ebay...no one else on here chose to use Ebay but you. So don't blame my thread for you ordering single inverted 194 LEDs for your gauge cluster.

OhNo2.0
2GN Member

Post by OhNo2.0 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:26 pm

LilSparkPlug wrote:
OhNo2.0 wrote: Understood LSP I get frustrated trying to explain shit to people as well to.

Yes...you are aggravating me. Why you ask?

First off.....

The bulbs fit, I have them, they work the best out of anything else out there. Why are you trying to help a cause that has already been perfected??? You aren't helping anything by confusing people....sometimes it's best to leave well enough alone.

Furthermore.....

You are interpreting that 3mm and 5mm are base sizes and they are not...they are BULB sizes. 3-5mm bulbs can use the same size base....anything above 5mm needs a larger base.

Oznium has THREE MM BULBS. NOT bases. The bases should be 10mm...but that isn't what I'm referring to when I am stating the mm of the LED. A 5mm LED is just that...a 5mm LED.

And.....

Read your post...it doesn't even make sense! In the two bolded sections you contradict yourself by 6mm. For the love of god stop confusing people. :banghead:

Lastly....

You shouldn't THINK I ordered from Oznium, I SAID I ordered from Oznium. I gave them a chance because I wanted white...and they fit. Now....had you ordered the parts from the links I provided you wouldn't have "amost" ordered the wrong part. You chose to use Ebay...no one else on here chose to use Ebay but you. So don't blame my thread for you ordering single inverted 194 LEDs for your gauge cluster.

lol I love how you hate me. I'm almost getting turned on! :ban:

But really I'm talking about the bases compared to the LISTED size in mm which is of course like you said "The bulb size".

Let me clarify even more...so you may finally understand and I can go back to not being arroused. lol

All 4 sites BUT oznium have 3 sizes available.

The sizes are (by base and led)

8mm base
10mm base
11mm base

The leds come listed as 3 different sizes (Except on oznium which says C5...which like I said before is a Corvette term)...

3mm, 4mm, 5mm

The correct size is the 10mm base, listed on all 3 sited as 4mm but Oznium as C5.

So the correct ones to buy would be the one Oznium sells, or the 4mm from the other 3 sites.

Please understand...I didn't mean to hijack your thread.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:36 pm

I don't hate you but you're posts are incessant and pointless not to mention confusing to others.

The whole point of my aggravation is there was no need for any of this conversing as everything was stated in plain english on the first page of the thread. You were given the bulbs, the links and everything else. I guaranteed that Oznium (which are not 10mm bases btw they're smaller but still fit) and Autolumination would fit. SBLEDs I did not. The correct ones were listed in the first place.

And I know what a C5 is....thanks for posting that repeatedly.

/conversation

OhNo2.0
2GN Member

Post by OhNo2.0 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:39 pm

/Arousal

:rofl:

I get a kick from you LSP...

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:27 pm

:sign5: :happy1:

1 more

:spam2:

srry had to

Newayz....

Have any of your leds from autolumination failed? I'm asking because I have had 2 fail this week.

Edit one more thing...

http://autolumination.com/194.htm

4th ones down the page, "Super Nova Matrix 5X"

idk about you but those look like some kick ass leds that probly are superior to our 5led wedge matrix.

I would love to see someone try them out and post pictures of the results.

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:02 am

I love the brightness of my 5wled ones from SBL. Anything brighter would start to get distracting.
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:22 am

Mine, really aren't that bright, compared to other peoples pictures of the same leds mine look dim.

I think I may try them out and sell the 5led ones I have now.

Remembere we can dim the cluster if we want to.

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:55 am

Yea, but in my case mine are already bright enough, so I'm not going to buy something brighter and more expensive, and then dim it down lol.

But in your case I understand.
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:17 pm

Mine are great, very uniform and nice and bright. Are yours white SRTGTR?

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:12 pm

They are.

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:22 am

Really? And they aren't uniform? Strange.... :( Maybe the cluster difference is what makes it?

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:25 am

I figure I'll post up what mine looks like after following this thread.

HVAC A/C part is a lighter blue because of the leds I put in.
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:23 pm

Looks good :) you like em? :)

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:55 pm

Love em.

Now I'm waiting on the LED's to get here so I can start on my boards.
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:10 pm

Mine should be here tomorrow. :tongue3:

Then my autolumintaion order on saturday.

I'm trying out a new led for the license plate. Its got alot more than 5 leds...... :thumbup:

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:56 pm

Let the LED board soldering commence :)

heydockyle
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by heydockyle » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:03 am

I want to get them done before I leave for vacation nest monday, so I tried my new weller out and soldered the wires onto the board for the power and ground.
98 Sport Coupe - Totaled
05 SXT - Sold

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:22 pm

I would have done the LEDs first, then the resistors and lastly the wiring. Gets in the way of the soldering. Anything over 30W however and you'll burn the board.

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:13 pm

All 186 leds work from besthongkong...

Well i figured doing the resistors first would be easier since they are smaller.

Can't tell you have many times i have pricked my finger so far...

Note to others, don't use cordless solderers. Especially the welling one...

LilSparkPlug
2GN Veteran

Post by LilSparkPlug » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:32 pm

Yeah you definitely need one with a cord. You could do the resistors first, either or really. But the wires are easiest if done last. And you'll prick your fingers alot more throughout the course of it lol. They bite.

srtgtr34
2GN Member

Post by srtgtr34 » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:20 pm

I'll play guinea pig...

I have 6 of this style on the way.

I am expecting better results than with my 5led from sbl.

Return to “HT Electrical”