How To: ALL of my lighting mods inside and out

Franklinnn
2GN Member

Post by Franklinnn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:30 am

Caraudioholic24 wrote:I may be able to get you those cluster bulb holders. I have to see how many I got.

You can also purchase them from superbrightleds.com

Let me know if your interested and how many you would like.
I saw that, but didnt want to spend 8$ on them <- cheap :)

but im going to try tommorrow morning, and if i cant do it, ill talk to ya, :D

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:11 am

Well they sell just the holders. I dont think they were that expensive. I will send you a link here in a min.

*EDIT* found link

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... Fhobby.htm
Click on empty bases and sockets. Then click the tab for 168/194. You want the twist and lock bases. (t10s-tw)

They're like $1 ea. About what I would have charged. Will save you a ton of work for nothing.

Franklinnn
2GN Member

Post by Franklinnn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:42 pm

but for someone with cut hours and more hours to be cut 1 hour of pay time is better than 2 hours of frustrated cluster work.

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:49 pm

Gotcha. Just wanted to let you know they were out there.

Franklinnn
2GN Member

Post by Franklinnn » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:19 pm

thanks, im trying to take them out now, and hope i can get it...
edit:

Got it, and changed the "idiot lights" they are a 5mm led originally in a ~10mm base but i just got the LED out and replaced it with a white(ebrake) / uv(seatbelt) / pink (battery/oil/CEL) and resistors are built into the board and polarity for ALL THE LIGHTS on the whole cluster the left-bottom is positive so when puting in your lights you dont have to trial and error them all. - i went with cool while which is a good blue, but not dark enough, but know i cant get the blue i want without tons of work, but a TON better than teal.

to anyone who wants to do this for a non tach 2gn you only need 5 for the illumination and 2 more for the turn signals and if you do the turn signals you only need 32-45 degree angle but only get blue/white/green unless you remove the film.

ill get some pictures of all my interior when i get 1 more led in the HVAC to make it perfect and i think im set!

Alex Kurdian
2GN Member

Question

Post by Alex Kurdian » Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:53 am

Jenni wrote:Something for your switches (3mm-LEDs and 470-Ohm-resistor - or what the seller recommends for 12V)

http://picasaweb.google.de/LegomanBerli ... berSpiegel

Thanx to LSP for sending me the LEDs and Resistors to do this job...:thumbup: You Rock :rockon:

I took a look on the weekend to get a feel for what I have to do...its kinda fiddly...Has anyone else done this mod? and want to shed some info or anything?

I might end up getting help from an auto electrician...
I drove My Neon till it "SOLD" And then bought a Mazda 3 Skyactiv
Australia 01
"So say We ALL"

Caraudioholic24
2GN Member

Post by Caraudioholic24 » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:23 am

I did mine a different way....i glued leds in each switch and ran the wiring and resistor outside the housings. Havent got around to the power window one yet...not a hard job but much patience is a virtue on this one LOL

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:49 pm

Since a bulb burned out in my cluster last night, and now I can't see half of it, I figure I might just get the LEDs now and be done with it. Anyone have an idea of how many bulbs are in a base, no-tach cluster?

Ooo, one more question about the HVAC bulbs:
Since I see the "regular" LED Neo bulbs seem to be a bit dark in spots, mainly around the edges (no dark spots, lol!), would SBLs high power SMD Neos work better? They have the 3MM and they are 6 lumen instead of 2 for the "regular" ones.

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:35 pm

i think there is 8 for the cluster reg and base not sure tho.. but as far as for the hvac ive had both the reg led ones and currently have the smd ones and the smd's are well worth whatever extra they cost in the brightness of them.

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:37 pm

The regular, with tach, uses 6 bulbs. I'd think the base that only has two gauge areas would be less than the one with four. I guess I'll just have to take the SOB apart to find out...ugh.

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:17 pm

i can pull my old one apart if itl make it easier on u its sittin in my garage to save u a bit of time.

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:31 am

I just need to know how many bulbs it has. No need to tear it apart (I was talking about the dash to get to the cluster). If you could check, that would be sweet.

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:17 am

i counted 5

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:12 am

Wow, only one less? Thanks man! Saves me from having to take everything apart twice!

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:37 am

yp but no problem its easier for me if i hav it in the garage than letin u tear it all apart..

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold

tulesto
2GN Member

Post by tulesto » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:48 pm

hey i can't find the map lights on superbright? Like i can't even find the bulb type... any help or even a link would be pretty awesome!

Also how can i change my Odometer to a blue because the green looks :tardbang: and its aggravating lol

i'll rep ya Bra' :rofl:

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:39 pm

I was ready to click and submit my order, and then stumbled across WLED-xHP5 (SMD version of the WLED-x5 bulb). Anybody ever given those a shot before?

The regular WLED-x5 bulbs are cool white, 11,000K , 12 lumens, 220° pattern.
The SMD WLED-xHP5 bulbs are white, 7,500K, 40 lumens, 360° pattern.

Would the color difference (white vs. cool white) make the gauges not as blue? I'm getting SMD bulbs for the HVAC so it will light up more evenly, hopefully, which is why I'm considering the SMD bulbs for the gauges.

EDIT: Ah forget it. I'm just going to order them. They'll match the HVAC and such exactly if nothing else, besides being brighter.

darthroush
2GN Member

Post by darthroush » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:12 pm

OK. I learned a few things (most of them for myself). If I misread or forgot something leading me to these results, my bad.

--SMD bulbs in the cluster, incredible.
--SMD bulb for the defroster switch has to be blue, or you need to get a regular LED so the blue cover will fit over it. It will fit over the 3MM SMD Neo bulbs, but those are too small.
--The 3MM SMD Neos are too small for the HVAC panel. HVAC needs 4MM SMD Neos, just like the defroster switch.
--I need a film for the odometer.

Filled out an exchange form for the three 3MM SMD HVAC Neo bulbs, for the 4MM ones. I think I might just go buy a regular LED for the defroster bulb and switch it out. I don't feel like paying $5 to ship a $3 bulb. Either that, or I'll just leave it white for now.

iThane
2GN Member

Post by iThane » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:06 pm

and you do all of this by yourself?!

will you marry me?
My Progress Log
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000104

SXTwolfe
2GN Member

Post by SXTwolfe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:00 am

alright so i am going to ask a very stupid question here. but before you do know that this question has been in my head since i installed my new stereo while i was at work tonight. (gotta love knowing what you are doing!!!). is it possible to change the colors that are already there? all the neons i have seen around my area have the green color (as mine does) and i would like to make it blue to match the blue lighting of the stereo and also the glow i am going to be putting into the foot-well of the driver and passenger sides???
Everything burns if the flame is hot enough, The world is nothing but a crucible.

Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member #103

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:36 am

You want to change your gauge cluster and HVAC area to blue lights instead of green?
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

SXTwolfe
2GN Member

Post by SXTwolfe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 12:25 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:You want to change your gauge cluster and HVAC area to blue lights instead of green?
yes. i will get a picture of the new radio and post it. you will see how much of a difference there is between the two. i have to remove the stereo once i get the antenna adapter
Everything burns if the flame is hot enough, The world is nothing but a crucible.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:07 pm

Did you read the first page? The very first post (right at the top) has the information it sounds like you want...
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

SXTwolfe
2GN Member

Post by SXTwolfe » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:56 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:Did you read the first page? The very first post (right at the top) has the information it sounds like you want...
it both does and does not. it states something which bulbs i will need and there is also one further down that says what type if your car is more green for lighting than anything else. but this is the difference that i am talking about with my new stereo. i think that if i put the bulbs in as is its just going to be retardedly bright green (bleh)

here is the picture it is fuzzy as hell i know but i had to enlarge it with photobucket in order to be able to see the green

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:22 am

Here is an Awesome 'new' LED site, that was pointed out in Mopar Action magazine, looks like I will be ordering from them very soon:

http://www.ledtronics.com/

http://www.ledtronics.com/products/cat1.aspx?P=C0D6

:thumbup:

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:32 am

SXTwolfe, if you go with the "cool white" bulbs like what Crystal is talking about, it shows up as a blue color that will be about as close as you can get to your stereo. Just like she shows in her pictures.

SXTwolfe
2GN Member

Post by SXTwolfe » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:23 pm

TheRandom1 wrote:SXTwolfe, if you go with the "cool white" bulbs like what Crystal is talking about, it shows up as a blue color that will be about as close as you can get to your stereo. Just like she shows in her pictures.
hmm ill give it a shot. was asking because when i took everything apart he plastic itself is green... will order them in the next week or so and give it a shot. either way i hope it works thanks for the advice.

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:26 pm

Yup, the plastic has a green tint to it, but the "cool white" LEDs overpower it and show up blue. Crystal's pics show how it looks after doing exactly like she did. Mine looks the same way, so does Lownslow's, etc. With just the LEDs, you'll be fine.

04 Mo Neon
2GN Member

Post by 04 Mo Neon » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:34 pm

Just curious if the ones below both the HVAC and DOME light suggestions on superbrightleds would work better and if anyone has a review of em.

I'm talking about the 4410-xHP12-DI: 12 High Power LED Festoon Bulb instead of the 9 one for the Dome Light and the NEOx-xHP: NEOx High Power LED Instrument bulb instead of the NEOx-x: NEOx LED Instrument bulb for the HVAC.

Also seems like they have a large selection of colors now compared to a few years ago but that is expected as led technology improves.

Neon4Life
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Neon4Life » Tue Apr 26, 2011 2:02 pm

This is a really nice write up CM.

I just ordered my cluster bulbs as last summer when i tried they didnt have the Green color wich i wanted. They now stock many diff colors including green.

:-)
Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000048

Return to “HT Electrical”