How-To: adding cruise control < 02

Gnuserup
2GN Member

How-To: adding cruise control < 02

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:32 pm

At least it´s not such a big problem to add the cruise control to a 2000 Neon (which has the buttons at the steering-wheel), but you will need to remove the clock-spring and add some wiring.

I recommend not to try with used parts except you could make sure to really get all needed parts.

If you don´t have a wrecked car beside you to rip the needed parts out you will certainly miss some parts sooner or later.
Everything you do you are doing on your own risk - I recommend to let the work be done only by an authorized dealer/ mechanic...
The following will only describe as it had been working on my car.

You are lucky if your car has been prepared for the cruise control already. To find out take a look at the brake pedal

Look out for the plug at the brake pedal, if the two middle located wires are missing, you will need that wiring. If not, look where the servo is loacted if there will be a plug.

I bought a kit which has included all needed parts:

First install the servo with two screws.

Now route the bowden wire to the air filter housing/ damper flap.
You will see at once where it has to get installed.

Remove a little plastic cap and the gas bowden wire

then put in the cruise control bowden first then the old one

Now you could install the vacuum storage (under the wiper-water-tank.

Connect the vacuum-tubes at the vacuum storage

and to the vacuum-system of the car by removing a cap (to find behind the enginge) :

This was very easy - the next steps are more difficult and kind of electric.

Disconnect the batterie at first.

Now I thought about bringing the wires into the inner room.
(yellow/red and darkblue/red *** red/lightgreen and black)

As I don´t wanted to drill a new hole anywhere I just pulled the wires through an existing one (where the hood bowden goes through) (think about greesing the cables to make it easier)

Connect the plug to the servo and the ground to a good point at the engine compartment.

At the inner room, unplug the plug at the brake pedal and add the missing two wires like shown below (yellow/red and darkblue/red)

To get the wires installed at the main-motor-plugs in front of the engine compartment you have to remove the air-cleaner-housing and the throttle body.

To do so remove the cap,

unscrew a nut at the upper right and a screw down left

just remove the "air nozzle" and now unscrew the 4 screws from the throttle body

now carefully get the parts out and lay them down e.g. on the disconneted batterie

Now you are ready to unplug the two main-engine-plugs (carefully, they have little clambs to hold which you have to press)

remove the tape and the tube as much as needed to get to the wires and to open the plugs.

To open them use for example a little screwdriver and open the barb at one side (carefully, they like to brake very easy)

This is enough.

The unused channels at the inner plug maybe will be closed so you may need to drill them open by using e.g. a 4mm drill

But carefully - you will reach the red rubber layer very soon.

By drilling that hole you will detach a little plastic pin which you have to press out by using a 3mm drill

Now I wanted to connect the yellow/red wire to pin 5 at the black plug but noticed that it already has been in use. So i soldered the new one onto the existing wire.

yellow/red to pin 5 at plug 1 (black)
red/lightgreen to pin 41 at plug 2 (grey)
cinnamon/red to pin 56 at plug 2 (grey)
lightgreen/red to pin 80 at plug2 (grey)

The pins are numbered, thanks for that dear chrysler :lol:

And now you are ready to rip the steering wheel out :twisted:
but I dissuade from doing that if you don´t really know what you are doing !

My description for that will follow soon...

Handle the clockspring very carefully, don´t spin it in any way.

Remove the plug (open the red clamb) and open the two barbs - get the clockspring out.

Now route the two wires (red/lightgreen and black) to there and add the red/lightgreen to pin 6 and black to pin 7.

There I found exisiting wires again but removed them ´cause I thought they will be useless and don´t wanted to search where they were going to. I installed the new wires and it is working until now :lol:

Change the back cover of your steering wheel that you can install the switches later...

the mounting is already exisiting at the steering wheel

reinstall the steering wheel/ airbag and install the switches. Don´t forget to connect the cables (I think it´s just the same which of the two wires you use for each switch).

Last edited by Gnuserup on Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:18 pm, edited 7 times in total.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:10 pm

Very nice. Most cars have the needed connectors for cruise control. Mine was missing the wire out of one of the connectors tho. I just spliced it in. I also have not added a vacuum reservoir, and it seems to work fine with out it. I have an aftermarket one, I plan to add, I just haven't got to it, since it is working fine so far, with out.

I installed mine with used parts from a member on this forum. (to clarify why the non oem reservoir)

Also what year is your neon?
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:42 pm

And what kind of switch(es) do you use ?

My neon is 2000 and I liked to get the accessory as much original as I could get :D

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:38 pm

I used the oem ones that mount on the steering wheel. It was from a 2000. The ones in the kit you have pictured are the ones. IIRC that kit is no longer available in the States, just the '03-up style.

I thought your might be a 2000 model year, as the IAC is that style, but I wasn't sure about the front fascia, they didn't use that style here until '02. They must use it for all years. I knew the '01 up exports used it, but I wasn't sure about the '00.

I only had to add the wire from under the dash to the steering column. All else was there.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:55 pm

Hey Gnuse - post this please also in the german board.
AND - how much did you pay for the kit?
I absolutely wanna have cruise control in the SRT...

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:51 am

Jenni wrote:I absolutely wanna have cruise control in the SRT...
http://www.ndperformance.com/how_to/srt ... /base.html
Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon 'til It Dies" Club #10

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:20 am

yes, i know the how-to but don't know how to find the whole system (for cheap)....

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:59 pm

^^Oops, my bad, I thought that I had info you hadn't seen before. :tardbang:
Last edited by Midnight_Rider on Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:17 pm

Hi Jenni - I already posted it a while ago :D

The whole kit I bought from dodgeparts. Unfortunatelly they won´t ship to germany but you´ll find a way...

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:46 am

@Gramps: Thank you anyway.

@Gnuse: Haha, we know that shipping is no problem... :)

If i install a cruise control i definitely wanna have the OEM system and not one of the aftermarket solutions. i don't dare....

Midnight_Rider
Spam Avenger!

Post by Midnight_Rider » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:52 am

Jenni wrote:If i install a cruise control i definitely wanna have the OEM system and not one of the aftermarket solutions. i don't dare....
:withstupid:

unc-newbie
2GN Member

Post by unc-newbie » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:21 pm

dodgeparts.com only has 2000 and 2003-2005 kits listed. Will the 2000 kit fit a 2001 dodge neon es?

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:28 pm

It should.

But I would call first, because last i knew, only the '03 up kits were available.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

LI NEON 72
2GN Member

Post by LI NEON 72 » Wed May 05, 2010 4:47 pm

They still have the kit for the 2000 i just ordered one from my dealer. Dodge doesn't make them anymore but they have a supplier that has old stock of them.

What Neon?
2GN Member

Post by What Neon? » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:48 am

anyone know the part number of the clockspring? I have everything but that.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:41 am

The year of your car would help.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

What Neon?
2GN Member

Post by What Neon? » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:21 pm

2002 ACR

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:32 pm

4793585AB
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

What Neon?
2GN Member

Post by What Neon? » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:35 pm

occasional demons wrote:4793585AB
And this is for the clockspring that has the CC wiring, not my stocker? Just double checking before I order it. Thank you for your time/help.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:02 pm

Yep, 5 circuit clockspring.

Clockspring, neon, w/cruise control 2001 - 2002 $174.00

It is the most expensive part, too. But getting a used one is a gamble.

All clocksprings have the 5 circuit ribbon in them, they are just not attached to the connector, or the connector is not there.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

What Neon?
2GN Member

Post by What Neon? » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:38 pm

so My car has the brake pedal wires. and had the plug under the hood. But not at the column. Someone mentioned getting the wires under dash and running them up. Anyone know more about this?

And anyone know what wire is for what? Like actual descriptions of what each wire does? I have the switches but am having a hard time getting the clock spring and am willing to just wire the switches up for now and leave them in the arm rest or something. I drive alot. 3500 miles since 3-19. Have a trip to MN today too. 6 hours.

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:32 pm

You have no wires on the green plug which connects the clockspring ?

The wiring for <02 and for >02 is the same, they just inserted different cable shoes you should solder yourself.

Which model do you have - as the switches are a bit different.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:08 pm

The column connector should be there, just missing one or both wires for the CC. The horn and air bag are run through the same connector.

PM me tomorrow to remind me, and I will scan the '01 wiring for the switches/ C104. IIRC, C103 is used on '03 - '05.

The right switch is RD/LG (Resume, Accel, Cancel/Coast)

The left switch is BR/WT (Set, On/Off)

If the clutch interlock/up stop is not wired for the MTX folks, the Speed Control will not disengage when the clutch is pressed in. The engine will rev.
Last edited by occasional demons on Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

What Neon?
2GN Member

Post by What Neon? » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:38 am

2002 acr. Thank you all for help. Yes I do have the green clock spring harness with horn and airbag. in the tutorial he did not have the brake pedal wires so he ran them and his clockspring wires from the pcm. I do have the brake pedal wires and did have the plug for vacuum actuator. But do not have the red/light green or black in column green harness. Do I still have to get red/light green for clockspring at PCM? (red/lightgreen to pin 41 at plug 2 (grey) )
Or is there an underdash location? The Black is just a ground to feed the switches in pin 7 of column green harness. They wire in series and add different resistances for different commands. And i do have the switches so I can measure them and post up the resistances for any of you who want to do your own custom switching.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:53 pm

Bump for edit...
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

What Neon?
2GN Member

Post by What Neon? » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:09 am

Thanks for all your help. Found the red/light green to the left of clutch pedal. wired up switches without going to steering wheel for now. But it works and works well. Saved gas already.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:01 pm

You could make that into your new shift knob. :lol:

Edit: Damn, you're hard on a clutch pedal.
Bill
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

What Neon?
2GN Member

Post by What Neon? » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:05 pm

110000 and counting on that pedal. Ill show u the floormat. Considered a shiftknob setup. Im going to add the turn signals to my controller. That would make it a easy highway cruiser. And if your willing to drill a hole the vac reservoir can fit under the windshield wiper shroud.

What Neon?
2GN Member

Post by What Neon? » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:10 am

So here is how it was finished at the steering wheel. and how to turn your non cruise clock spring into a cruise one.

I did not have the harnesses for the steering wheel controls. I used female spades on the buttons and soldered wires to the wires from closkspring i added.

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:22 pm

I just gave Gnuserup my SRT clockspring for experiences.
We love your idea!

I can tell you:
Cruise control instal into SRT = PITA!
Will make pictures later.

Return to “HT Electrical”