How To: fix broken Multifunctionswitch Plug for cheap

Gnuserup
2GN Member

How To: fix broken Multifunctionswitch Plug for cheap

Post by Gnuserup » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:00 pm

Usually the plug of the Multifunctionswitch looks like this

Image.

While I have been working on some other parts

I happened to see that the dash has at the right and at the left side just the same plugs which were looking like new...

So the cheapest way to fix that damaged plug is to find a neon
at the junkyard and locate these plugs at the a-pillar right and left.
These plugs are connecting the doors.

Cut the plugs out and try to disassemble them carefully at home as the plastic is always old and sprittle. It will brake very easy.

Lift the red clamp very carefully at the right and the left side of the plug and leave it the way you see in this picture

Take a very small screwdriver and try to push the little grey tongs away which are holding the cableshoes in position. Now you need
the red clamp left at the plug, because it prevents you from breaking the tongs.
Take all the cableshoes out.

Now disconnect your batterie and note down the position of each cable
at the old installed MSF-plug with ultraprecision and take each cableshoe out the way you did at the other plug.

After finishing this you can easily put the cableshoes into the "new" plug until you hear a little "click" and at least you
have to push the clamp carefully back into position.

[/img]
Last edited by Gnuserup on Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:18 pm

This is a GREAT idea.

Thanks for the How-To !! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Tue Sep 28, 2010 9:23 am

My pleasure :)

Today I found out, that these plugs are used to connect the electrical parts of the doors, so you find them between the a-pillar and the doors.
I already updated the how to, you find pictures up there.

Tommy2348
n00b

Post by Tommy2348 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:41 pm

hey, I have been having this problem, now that I know how to fix it cheaply I have ran into another problem which is that I cannot go to the junkyard anytime soon but I have an appointment Friday morning that I have to go to, I cannot get a ride there and don't have any other way of getting there. So, as a temporary quick fix, can I take one out of either door in my Neon until I pull one from the junkyard, would this effect any major circuits in the car?

NickKo
2009 Gold Contributor

Post by NickKo » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:52 pm

Tommy2348 wrote:hey, I have been having this problem, now that I know how to fix it cheaply I have ran into another problem which is that I cannot go to the junkyard anytime soon but I have an appointment Friday morning that I have to go to, I cannot get a ride there and don't have any other way of getting there. So, as a temporary quick fix, can I take one out of either door in my Neon until I pull one from the junkyard, would this effect any major circuits in the car?
It is not really easy, to remove one of these plugs from the door.
I would wait until you can make the trip to the junkyard.

- Nick
-1998 2-dr SOHC MTX= 57mm TB; Maddog STS
-2000 Ply.LX w/MTX = Maddog STS; CAI; 2.5 exh.; 60mm T/B
-2001 ATX w/Syked PCM + Magnum header
-2001 ACR w/SRT T/B bored out to 55mm

Official "I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Club #000009

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:43 am

Agreed, you are looking at a butt load of effort. I know on 1gn's, you pretty much have to pull the fender to make getting to it 10,000% easier.

Is it a problem mainly with the headlights? Both fuses are in the fuse box in the car for the low beams. It would be easier to rig a jumper to the fuse slot so you have lights. I would pull the fuse box out and jumper to the feed wire in the back, so you have something solid that won't fall out going down the road. Wire a toggle in there. I don't recommend making that a long term fix tho.

When you get a replacement switch/connector, do a relay upgrade under the hood so the MFS is only switching the relay(s). Get good weather proof relays, or they will fail, unlesss you mount them in the spare spot in the PDC.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

neonrog
2GN Member

Post by neonrog » Sat Feb 22, 2014 1:33 pm

NickKo wrote:
Tommy2348 wrote:hey, I have been having this problem, now that I know how to fix it cheaply I have ran into another problem which is that I cannot go to the junkyard anytime soon but I have an appointment Friday morning that I have to go to, I cannot get a ride there and don't have any other way of getting there. So, as a temporary quick fix, can I take one out of either door in my Neon until I pull one from the junkyard, would this effect any major circuits in the car?
It is not really easy, to remove one of these plugs from the door.
I would wait until you can make the trip to the junkyard.

- Nick
This thread was in my head as I was looking at them at the junkyard yesterday. Just in case I need it for my own car. But then again the two cars I looked at for MFS switches, had nearly pristine connectors.
If its not an English Mastiff, its just a dog.

MichNeon
2GN Member

Post by MichNeon » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:42 am

This is the first time that i have seen this thread. This is excellent info :thumbup: , i wish that i had seen this last year :banghead: . The next time i go to the junkyard, i will be grabbing a few. There are plenty of 2nd gens at the one i go to.
2004 R/T, DD
1995 Sport Sedan (The Frog), Given to my brother.
30 year Chrysler Tech.

Return to “HT Electrical”