How-To: adding cruise control >04 and SRT

Gnuserup
2GN Member

How-To: adding cruise control >04 and SRT

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:50 pm

For the last Neons (NGC, >2004) a cruise control kit has been available, too.

Main differences are

different vacuum lines, a stick instead of two switches (as the steering wheel itself looks different now), the vacuumpump is a bit different (Location of plugs and hose and the mountingbracket), the reservoir is different and sits at the firewall, all plugs at the clockspring are different.
The wiring-harness is exactly the same (the partnumber plug and cableshoes) - but here you get some extra cableshoes to make your wiring fit to the different plugs on the NGC-PCM.

The plug

You could also use a stick e.g. out of an PT Cruiser, but you have to solder different resistors.

As some guys figured out, the kit also fits to a SRT. Maybe you have to make the second bowden wire (from the cruise control) fit, as the SRT usualy needs only the one it originally has.

As I told in my write up for the <03 kit you could be glad to find the cruise control already wired up into your neon. Now I had been such lucky.
If you have you could check that by looking in the area where the pump is located if you have the plug there, at the brake light switch connector, if all cableshoes are in (or install yellow/red and dark blue/ red) and at the clockspring-plug (Pin 6 red/ light green, 7 black), if the are all cableshoes in.
How to route the harness if you haven´t found it you could see at my write-up for <03 as the procedure is the same.
The PCM-Plug is different to the <03 so you have to change them for making them fit.
There are four wires to insert into the third plug (count from the bottom >> C3 << - grey if I remember correctly).
The plug has some "pins" where the cableshoes has to be inserted. You must pull them out.
Open up your plug carefully as much as needed and move the red clip on the bottom so that you are able to insert the cableshoes until you hear a little "click". - 5= light green/ red, 7= yellow/ red, 12= tan/red, 34= red/ light green

Then rebuild your plug and isolate it well.

To change the clockspring the steering wheel has be pulled off..

Therefor the airbag has to be removed - attention - don´t do it yourself if you don´t have any idea how to do that.

There are two screws - on the left and the right.

A 13 mm screw which is glued holds the steering wheel.
The steering wheel itself can´t be contorted as there are two scores to prevent that.
Now you could remove the clockspring - unplug the green plug and carefully lift one hook on the top and one on the bottom of it.
>> Never ever turn the clockspring outside and if it is not installed correctly. It could be damaged.<<

I used the chance to install the SRT-leather-steering-wheel.

By the way - the <03 steering wheels will also fit ...

You have to cut out the notch on the back of the colum, insert the stick and screw it thight with three screws.

The reservoir looks like the one out of a 1st gen but has only one vacuum-socket. It has to get installed at the firewall.
Remove the bracket which holds the bowdenwire on the left and the dummyplug on the right.

You will need the short three-ended vacuum line and you will have to seperate the short line from the other.

In the near of your brakebooster you´ll find the plug where you have to connect your new vacuum line.

Route it behind the compensating reservoir.

plug in the medially plug

Installing just the pump is absolutely easy - two screws, plug - ready.

Now install the new bowden wire into your throttle body shaft

Ready.

LowNSlow

Post by LowNSlow » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:01 pm

Nice write up... Thank you for taking the time to make it.
-John

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:11 pm

my pleasure :lol:

I think the most interesting things are, if someone likes to get parts from ebay or the junk yard to know what he has to get and the other how to adapt parts to make them fit.
So Jenni did. He used on his SRT the <03 clockspring, a partially cutted wiring harness, a <03 pump, a 1st-gen reservoir (not connected yet) and a PT Cruiser stick :lol: But it´s still working now.

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:40 pm

and it took >6 months to finish it finally.

don't buy a pt cruiser switch!
not worth the work and stress.
you need to solder the 1/10" resistors inside and the cancel button will still not work.

vacuum reservoir is not really needed, it works w/o very fine.
even with a bigger tb - pcm just needs some miles to learn how to control the cruise servo properly.

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:39 pm

Jenni wrote:
vacuum reservoir is not really needed, it works w/o very fine.
even with a bigger tb - pcm just needs some miles to learn how to control the cruise servo properly.
:withstupid:

I've been using mine without for over a year now. Didn't have any issues whatsoever with the 60mm TB. You can definitely tell when it applies throttle tho. But it never overshoots the set speed.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Jenni
2GN Member

Post by Jenni » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:31 pm

gas pedal is going up and down - i can see that at my boost gauge. :lol:
very slightly - but you can see and feel it.
first drive was really odd - but now i think it runs smother!

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:40 pm

:lol:

With boost, it does change things.

IDK if they use boost as much as the Eighties front wheel drive cars. I know they used the waste gate more than the throttle to maintain speed. You could see the boost increase, but the pedal would never, or barely move.

But considering the SRT's didn't have Speed Control as an option, I'm not sure if the boost control is even factored into speed control logic.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “HT Electrical”