How-To: know what radio, cable and cd I need

Gnuserup
2GN Member

How-To: know what radio, cable and cd I need

Post by Gnuserup » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm

over the years I have collected a couple of radios, cd´s and wirings.

So here is, what I learned until now.

There are different radios available - with casetteplayer only, with cd only, with cd and cassette, with navigation and different versions for different countries.
Most important is, that they changed the plugs on 2001 I think.
The older radios have at least two single plugs for the radio itselt, antenna in and a round plug for the changer.
Later there where just one plug for the radio, one square for cd and antenna in.
The changer is available in 3 versions - 4-cd in Dash, 6-cd in Dash and 6-cd trunk (Alpine).
The dash-in has the same plug - a square one. The in trunk Alpine needs an interface for M-BUS.

To be able using newer radios in the older neons, you can get an adaptor, either you´re lucky to find an original or you get you an aftermarket one and solder it yourself.

Here some pictures (sorry for the quality, but will make some new shots next time)

Alpine in-trunk-changer and interface

Install kit newer radio to Alpine

just that cable

4-dish in Dash

mounted

backview

wiring newer radio to in-dash cd

radio with cd out of an SRT

Adaptor older plugs to newer radio

Have to make some pictures of the older radio rear and the 6-disc-in dash next time :D

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:14 pm

I believe 2001 was still the two connector plugs. 2002 and up are one.

The single connector can be spliced into the 2001 and older wiring. Mine was this way when I bought it. I found out that '01 was still the two connector style, when I ordered a wiwring kit, and it didn't match what I had. A PO had installed the '02+ CD player in my car.

But good info to have! :thumbup:
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

redneckmoparman
2GN Member

Post by redneckmoparman » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:25 am

where did you get the later plug to adapt to the older style? i have an 01 with the old style and the in dash newer radio and changer

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:33 pm

ebay for about 10 $

Gnuserup
2GN Member

Post by Gnuserup » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:16 pm

Finally I soldered that DIY adaptor :lol:

"Older" plugs 1999-2001

Backside 2002> radio

You just have to solder colour to colour - btw. the wires are named correctly on mine

Only the two black ground wires were left which had to be connected to the cars ground, maybe try to find a fitting cableshoe and the brown wire which was named MUTE, but as it is PIN14 it should be connected to the single PCI-plug (vio/yel).

The needed antenna-adaptor I fortunatelly had laying around as well so now my 2002 radio is working on my 2001 RT.

** "2002-up Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Reverse Antenna Adapter"
a neon - what else ?

Return to “HT Electrical”