How-To: Side blinker mod (DIY)

Automatic
2GN Member

Post by Automatic » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:29 pm

I just did the side blinker mod on a 2000 dodge neon and it works perfect. The wires are the same so anybody with a 2000 dodge neon can do this mod to there car. The easiest part was to do the driver side blinker but once I got to the passenger side blinker it was kind of hard but I disconnected the connector for the windshield fluid ressevoir and it gave me more play on the wires.

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:37 pm

rt_neon04 wrote:good how to..but i got this little problem known as..i never use my signals...for some reason i stopped using them when i bought an manual car..which was this neon..
:roll: Not someting to brag about.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

orangeneon05
2GN Member

Post by orangeneon05 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:39 am

quick question.... if the side marker lights are attached to the turn signal and seeing how the turn signals are DRLs aswell that means the side markers will still act like the used to but with the new option of blinking? and did you cut the marker light free from the stock wiring and let the stock wire hang or did you just cross the circuits to make the sides blink as well.

EDIT:
i went back and looked and it looks like you just cut the positive and spliced it to the turn signal wire correct?
Buyer/ Seller Feedback Here

2005 OB Srt-D, R/T motor swap

sidepipe87
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by sidepipe87 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:57 am

how are the turn signals DRLs? They aren't in the U.S. Unless you are talking about the sidemarkers which are sidemarkers and not turn signals.
PM me for your 00+ PCM SKIM/VIN flashing needs. Neon PCMs Plus

orangeneon05
2GN Member

Post by orangeneon05 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:02 pm

yea side markers are not on during the day how ever when you flip the multiswitch to running lights the sides and turns come on correct. and with this mod the side markers become the turns as well
Buyer/ Seller Feedback Here

2005 OB Srt-D, R/T motor swap

C1DoG
2GN Member

Post by C1DoG » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:07 pm

Cool glad this how to is here. I am going to do the mod in the next few days.

So you actually cut the wire you need to connect to on the side marker? From what I see in the picture showing the splice to the marker, I see that the wire was cut, one was taped off and the other, (i.e. the black wire) was connected to the blinker. Am I correct in seeing that or am I seeing something different? I am just trying to make sure I get it all right.
Drove my neon until it was killed in a flood.

2005.Neon.SXT
2GN Member

Post by 2005.Neon.SXT » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:56 pm

C1DoG wrote:Cool glad this how to is here. I am going to do the mod in the next few days.

So you actually cut the wire you need to connect to on the side marker? From what I see in the picture showing the splice to the marker, I see that the wire was cut, one was taped off and the other, (i.e. the black wire) was connected to the blinker. Am I correct in seeing that or am I seeing something different? I am just trying to make sure I get it all right.
I know for sure that one wire is not used. I crimped a clamp on it... or whatever it's called. It's been a couple years since I did mine, but all you're doing is splicing one wire from the sidemarkers into the turn signal wires (each side has a separate set of colors, if I remember correctly).
Progress Log --- Life & Work > Car... :(

C1DoG
2GN Member

Post by C1DoG » Sun Dec 05, 2010 7:46 am

2005.Neon.SXT wrote:
C1DoG wrote:Cool glad this how to is here. I am going to do the mod in the next few days.

I know for sure that one wire is not used. I crimped a clamp on it... or whatever it's called. It's been a couple years since I did mine, but all you're doing is splicing one wire from the sidemarkers into the turn signal wires (each side has a separate set of colors, if I remember correctly).

:thumbup: I got all the wiring today, so I will be doing this mod within the next few days.

Update to this post... I did the mod today and I love it. :D
Drove my neon until it was killed in a flood.

k-b-s-neon02
2GN Member

Post by k-b-s-neon02 » Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:59 am

Just finished doing this on my ride and I have to say it was an easy mod....

03SXTGUY
2GN Member

Post by 03SXTGUY » Wed Nov 23, 2011 3:53 pm

This is how I decided to go about doing this mod - the mod itself took 15 minutes...but getting the damn passenger side marker light bulb back into the housing took me over an hour!! :( Definitely worth it though - our side markers should have been functional from the beginning.

Supplies (AutoZone):
14-16G Male/Female Connectors
White 14G wire

Pass. Side

This method, without soldering, allows you to create the other piece of the ground wire into a female connector, thus, allowing you to return back to OEM if needed/wanted. :thumbup:

Blinking together w/ lights OFF:

Blinking alternately with lights ON:

Driver Side

- Ben -

'03 Silver Neon SXT 2.0 SOHC w/ some stuff
Charlotte's Progress Log

gcretro
2GN Member

Post by gcretro » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:19 pm

Quoting from the OP's note:
"IMPORTANT: when the turn signal bulb burns out the side marker lamp will also be out because now it is in a series circuit. "

So after this mod, if say one blinker on the front burns out... that side of the car won't have any blinkers" that's about it right?

Also can the side markers be made in parallel with the front park/blinker light? (instead of series like here.)

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:12 pm

The statement by the OP is incorrect. This modification doesn't put these bulbs in series. The fact that they are able to alternately blink proves that. If you put two bulbs in series across 12V, each bulb would only see 6V (providing their resistance is the same or close). There's nothing to worry about with a blown bulb, other than it should be replaced.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

gcretro
2GN Member

Post by gcretro » Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:59 pm

exactly. I was thinking about that 6v. It is parallel else it would have been really dim :). thx for the clarification.

dvon17
2GN Member

Post by dvon17 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:26 am

I did it! thanks for the write up...
2003 SRT-4 :D

:glasses4:
NEON PARABOLA wrote:you deserve respect dammit! you drive a neon!
"Cause even though you left me here, I have nothing left to fear. These are only walls that hold me here..."

Return to “HT Electrical”