How-To: Side blinker mod (DIY)

grindpunk16
2GN Member

How-To: Side blinker mod (DIY)

Post by grindpunk16 » Fri May 14, 2004 6:06 pm

Courtesy of: my02r/t

You will need some wire, soldering gun, solder, heat shrink tubing or electrical tape, small wire ties, 2 quick splice connectors and about an hour of time.

Note: If you have a CAI you will not have to remove the driver’s side headlight. I did remove the passenger side headlight because with the AC piping it was too tight.

The hardest part of the job is running the wire. Do not run it through any sharp edges, close to hot or moving parts.

IMPORTANT: when the turn signal bulb burns out the side marker lamp will also be out because now it is in a series circuit.

Figure 1 - DRIVERS SIDE TURN SIGNAL

Figure 2 - PASS SIDE TURN SIGNAL

Splice into the turn signal wire with the quick connector. It is the green/orange on the drivers side and tan/red wire on the pass side as shown in figure 1 & 2 above. The new wire I installed is the white wire in the pictures. Color code given is on a 2002, other years may be different.

Figure 3 - SIDE MARKER SPLICE

Pull out the side marker socket and let it hang down. Cut the tape between the two wires about 6” from the socket as shown in figure 3 above. Cut the BLACK wire and splice your new wire into the bulb side of the black wire. Shown prior to soldering. Repeat for the other side.

Figure 4 - COMPLETED SPLICE

Solder and heat shrink for a worry free mod. See figure 4 above for what a completed joint will look like if done correctly. Install wire ties to keep the cut wrap from unwinding. I do not recommend electrical tape, however if you use it, wire-tie the ends to keep it from unwinding.

Test. If done correctly the side marker with blink together with the front turn signals when the parking lights are off and will alternating blink when the lights are on. Will act as normal side markers when not blinking. Put everything back together and enjoy.

Shawn Solderitch

Any questions email ssolderitch@area37.com
or PM me at
neons.org aka: my02r/t
neonsonline.com aka: my02r/t
eastcostneons.org aka: my02rt

^^^^
Michael vs Prince fights

We all know who won

To slow for you Forum member #001
lambostealth wrote:Please ditch the lip, pretty please, makes baby jesus cry... :cry:

Louie
Former Jr. Admin

Post by Louie » Sat May 15, 2004 12:46 pm

good mod...just did it in about 15 minutes.

the biggest problem i had is with my passenger sidemarker. the wires are so short that it doesnt come out of the hole...and it doesnt come out under the car. so i did it with it barely out of the hole.

besides that, it was a tight squeeze but i didnt move anything...except for the airbox, i had to take it out because i dont have my intake in yet

noTe
BANNED

Post by noTe » Sat May 15, 2004 3:04 pm

I was just thinking about doing this the other day. Very good idea.
noTe / randy

2004 Dodge SRT-4 BPU
1987 Honda Accord LX-i

NeoNiaiN
2GN Member

Post by NeoNiaiN » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:27 pm

Just a note:

This mod will NOT work on 00-02 Canadian Neons. This is because the daytime running lights are the turn signals.

Well, having said that, it WILL work BUT the side markers will be on the whole time that the DRL's are on.

Sorry to hijack, but I just wanted to let my fellow Canucks know. :wink:
sohc you in da face!

AEM - VIS - BRULLEN - AROSPEED - MC FAB - BOOGER - MSD - NOLOGY - TEIN - TOKICO - MOPAR - ENERGY - POWER SLOT - ROTO TECH - FALKEN - HELIOS - TYC - CARBON CREATIONS - CARBON BY DESIGN - STREET GLOW

My Cardomain

dvg3.5SE
2GN Member

Post by dvg3.5SE » Sun Jul 11, 2004 6:50 pm

Thank god my fogs err angel eyes are my drl! gotta do this mod I like it
2005 Red Nissan X-Trail - Yep its official...I'm gettin old!
2002 Satin White Altima 3.5SE 5spd -SOLD!
2002 Aspen White Subaru WRX - Best car I ever owned! 313 AWHP!
2002 Stonewhite R/T - Enjoy Mike!
2003 Black R/T - I will forever miss! 15.9@87mph modded to the tits...damn NGC

J double R
2GN Member

Post by J double R » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:13 pm

another way i found to access the side marker (and might be good for this too) is to unscrew and remove the plastic fenderwell with whichever wheel youre working on turned completely to the outside.

kokali22
Fresh Fish

Post by kokali22 » Fri Dec 03, 2004 5:04 pm

anyone know what wires id have to splice into in order for the side markers to come on ONLY when I turn the blinkes on?

TNK
2GN Veteran

Post by TNK » Sat Dec 04, 2004 11:21 am

if it wasn't so damned cold outside, i'd do this when i get up later ( i just got off the grave yard shift).... sounds liek a cool thing to do, i always wondered why dodge didn't do this from teh factory, the first gens had it.

Modify Your Car - Modify Your Body - Modify Your Life
TheRandom1 wrote:My true opinion here is that the only time rubber should be stretched is when it's going over a penis.

WiTeOuT
2GN Member

Post by WiTeOuT » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:32 pm

I know this is a super old post, but I treid doing this today cause I thought "super mod". Well it turns out, the wire harness that goes into the back of the blinker/headlight arm had some damage to it. So when I did the drivers side light and turned on the blinkers to test the mod......poof.....the thing catches on fire!!! Like a warrior ( more like desperate to save my car ) I reached in there and put it out with my hand. So all in all....it sucked. I finally got the column off the steering wheel to look inside and see the damage that was done. Well the wire harness had totally burnt up...fried like chicken! I pulled it out of the socket, and it fell into like 4 pieces! So now I cannot drive at night until I order a new one and get it put in. :roll: Needless to say this totally sucks. I know this mod works....but did I do anything wrong? I believe this all started cause the harness already had trouble. So, anyone know how much these stupid things cost????

Louie
Former Jr. Admin

Post by Louie » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:48 pm

sounds like your multifunction switch could have burnt.

which means $$$

i did this a longgg time ago. still working great for me. it was most likely due to previous damage.

WiTeOuT
2GN Member

Post by WiTeOuT » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:55 pm

What's the multifunction switch???

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:58 pm

Skyjerm82 wrote:What's the multifunction switch???
turns on your headlight, turn signals, parking lights, high beams, ect.
Justin- I have nothing but smart ass remarks to add.
:-s
Fire_Hippo wrote:Frizbe, you rock my socks.
- Jeff's girlfriend

Diablo0
2GN.org Owner/Admin

Post by Diablo0 » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:59 pm

It's the actual switch/stalk you use to turn your headlings on, turnsignals... multifuction meaning it can do multiple things (turning many things on and off and whatnot).
-Jason
Black '02 Neon R/T | White '02 Neon R/T - SRT-4 Engine Swap
^^^ no, that isn't what I look like haha
Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value. - Albert Einstein

Frizbe
2GN Member

Post by Frizbe » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:02 am

uh hu, just like I said.
LOL
Justin- I have nothing but smart ass remarks to add.
:-s
Fire_Hippo wrote:Frizbe, you rock my socks.
- Jeff's girlfriend

WiTeOuT
2GN Member

Post by WiTeOuT » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:05 am

Oh ok.....well...I think it's still actually ok. Like I said, the entire wire harness behind it is what burnt out. Everything was working fine on the car until I tried the mod. Maybe I used the wrong size wire, or maybe i was supposed to hook up both before testing??

I have been having trouble with my dome light staying on after I switch it on for about 2 years. When I looked at the harness, that part had major burns on it, and had melted. So I think maybe this pushed it over the edge, or it just finally burnt up? Any more ideas or suggestions guys?

mospaxreton
2GN Member

Post by mospaxreton » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:35 am

Is this mod accurate for the 03's+ as well?

WiTeOuT
2GN Member

Post by WiTeOuT » Wed Jun 08, 2005 12:35 am

Well I hope this is ok to post on this thread....if not you guys can delete it or move it or whatever. I wanted to update you. I called the Dodge Parts dealer today and they said the harness that burnt up is the MAIN Instrument Wireing Harness. It is one whole piece that runs from left to right on the car.

Dealer Cost..... $1,100
My reaction when I found this out.... PRICELESS. :)

For some things there's Junkyards...for everything else...there's Parts Department's. LOL

So I think I am going to get it off a friend's yard for under $100. At the very least this post can help to teach people not to do something stupid to thier wires. I'll let all of you know how things turn out.

mospaxreton
2GN Member

Post by mospaxreton » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:09 am

I DID IT!!! :P :P :P Well I did this MOD earliar and well guess what, it works!!. Only thing I cant remember is if when the car is off and I turn on my turn signals/hazards they wouldnt light b4, because now they dont, why?... I dont know but if I put my key in the on or acc position/or simply turn on the car and turn them on they work beautifully. Thanks a bunch for this nice and very easy MOD. Took about 30mins in the dark... :x couldnt see well...hehe that was smart huh :roll:
Last edited by mospaxreton on Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

05srt4clone
2GN Member

Post by 05srt4clone » Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:19 am

Skyjerm82 wrote:Well I hope this is ok to post on this thread....if not you guys can delete it or move it or whatever. I wanted to update you. I called the Dodge Parts dealer today and they said the harness that burnt up is the MAIN Instrument Wireing Harness. It is one whole piece that runs from left to right on the car.

Dealer Cost..... $1,100
My reaction when I found this out.... PRICELESS. :)

For some things there's Junkyards...for everything else...there's Parts Department's. LOL

So I think I am going to get it off a friend's yard for under $100. At the very least this post can help to teach people not to do something stupid to thier wires. I'll let all of you know how things turn out.
After what happened to you, you are making me think twice.
06 GMC Canyon Crew Cab Inline 5
Brainstorming mods
06 Toyota Corolla S
Wife's Car- Gas Saver

WiTeOuT
2GN Member

Post by WiTeOuT » Sat Jun 11, 2005 2:30 am

Just thought I would let all of you know the FINAL update!! (Thank God)

I did this MOD today in about 10-15 minutes. It was easy, and AWESOME!!! I totally recommend it to everyone with a second Gen.

The ONLY advice I would give is this. SKIP the Sauder, and use "Butt connectors" If you strip both wires and then clamp down the butt connectors it is SO much easier. Just a bit of advice. But it works awesome, and looks sweet!! Thanks for all the help guys!

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:34 pm

Did this... works awesome. Thanks!
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

rt_neon04
2GN Member

Post by rt_neon04 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:46 pm

good how to..but i got this little problem known as..i never use my signals...for some reason i stopped using them when i bought an manual car..which was this neon..
04 Dodge Neon R/T (SOLD)
04 Dodge Neon SRT-4 (STOLEN)
05 Cobalt SS/SC (SOLD)
04 Dodge Neon SRT-4

lilolneon
2GN Member

Post by lilolneon » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:43 pm

are the wires the same on the 03+ and does it alternate the blink? or is it same blink as front? :lol:
2003 Atlantic Blue SE (R.I.P. 03-06)
2003 Black SXT (R.I.P. 06-14)
2007 Silver Civic LX Coupe

Louie
Former Jr. Admin

Post by Louie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:45 pm

lilolneon wrote:are the wires the same on the 03+ and does it alternate the blink? or is it same blink as front? :lol:
same wires.

alternate blink

lilolneon
2GN Member

Post by lilolneon » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:28 am

hehe... i just did this... works like a charm!

when the lights are off, the side markers, will blink in unison with the blinkers, when the lights are on, it alternate blinks with the blinkers. :D

Hardest part was having to goto wal-mart to buy the quick connectors... i think i spent a total of 4 bux for 20yrd of 14awg wire, and 3 14-18awg quick connects. Took me about an hour or so, and I was in the dark using flashlights :lol:

03sxt
Former Jr. Admin

Post by 03sxt » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:34 pm

lilolneon wrote:when the lights are off, the side markers, will blink in unison with the blinkers, when the lights are on, it alternate blinks with the blinkers. :D
Uh, yeah. That's what the mod description says. Tarf. :tard: :lol:

lilolneon
2GN Member

Post by lilolneon » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:36 pm

lol... i didnt read the whole post up there :lol:

my02r/t
2GN Member

Post by my02r/t » Thu May 11, 2006 7:04 pm

SKIP the Sauder, and use "Butt connectors" If you strip both wires and then clamp down the butt connectors it is SO much easier

easier, yes better, no. Because with salt and/or water that butt splice will corode in time they are not water tight. Electrical tape does not last either. Use heat shrink & a soldered connection if you never want any problems for the life of the car.

I am glad to see all the happy members who have now have a safer car.

(I am the orgional author of this how to.)

jonnymopar
Junior Admin

Post by jonnymopar » Fri May 12, 2006 9:08 am

my02r/t wrote:(I am the orgional author of this how to.)
Hey my02r/t, thanks alot for this how-to! And yeah, I have to agree. Butt connectors are garbage for anything that needs to be weatherproof/waterproof at all. I don't even like using them for stuff inside the car, nevermind way out in the nose. Mine are all soldered, heat shrink tubed, taped over, and I specifically spliced wires where I did so that when I was done, I could tuck the spliced section back into the split tubing for even more protection. Taping over may have been overkill, but I'd seriously recommend at least using heat shrink for something like this.
Jon J.

2003 Neon SXT - new home, new owner. Thanks for everything, old friend.
1989 Daytona ES - 2.4L/A555 swapped

Official "I'm Going To Drive My Neon Until Jerry Buys It" Club Member #11

gilly02le
2GN Member

Post by gilly02le » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:25 am

solder and heatshink FTW
New Sig Time.

Return to “HT Electrical”