How To: Program a 3rd sentry key w/o the dealer

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

How To: Program a 3rd sentry key w/o the dealer

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:26 am

As long as you already have 2 functioning sentry keys you can program a 3rd without the dealer, here's how:
SENTRY KEY IMMOBILIZER SYSTEM TRANSPONDER PROGRAMMING
Three programmed Sentry Key transponders are included with the Sentry Key Immobilizer System (SKIS) when it is shipped from the factory. The Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) can be programmed to recognize up to five additional transponders, for a total of eight Sentry Keys. The following "Customer Learn" programming procedure for the programming of additional transponders requires access to at least two of the valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, Sentry Key programming will require the use of a DRB III® scan tool.

CUSTOMER LEARN PROGRAMMING
1 - Obtain the additional Sentry Key transponder blank(s) that are to be programmed for the vehicle. Cut the additional Sentry Key transponder blanks to match the ignition lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
2 - Insert one of the two valid Sentry Key transponders into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
3 - After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for about three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. Both operations must be performed within 15 seconds.
4 - About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the VTSS indicator LED will start to flash and a single audible chime tone will sound to indicate that the system has entered the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
5 - Within about fifty seconds of entering the "Customer Learn" programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
6 - About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, a single audible chime tone will sound and the VTSS indicator LED will stop flashing and stay on solid for about three seconds to indicate that the blank Sentry Key transponder has been successfully programmed. The SKIS will immediately return to normal system operation following exit from the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
7 - Go back to Step 2 and repeat this process for each additional Sentry Key transponder blank to be programmed.

If any of the above steps is not completed in the proper sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode. The SKIS will also automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode if it sees a non-blank Sentry Key transponder when it should see a blank, if it has already programmed eight valid Sentry Keys, or if the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position for more than about fifty seconds.

Flying_NEB
2GN Member

Post by Flying_NEB » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:23 pm

I just bought a 2000 ES and it did not have a fob so I'm not sure if it came with one. It also only came with one key. Is there an easier way to find out if it has remote keyless entry other than taking the dash off? Since all I have is one key, should I just go to a dealership to get another key? Or can I do it a cheaper way?

racer12306
Junior Admin

Post by racer12306 » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:24 pm

keyless entry does not equal sentry key.

sentry key is the security system. if you have the fat grey key, then you have the sentry system, the black key means you dont have sentry.
-Frank
Member of Spork Racing
Forum issues: racer12306@2gn.org
Forum Behavior
Support your favorite forum, DONATE!

yankeesking
2GN Member

Post by yankeesking » Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:51 pm

i have sentry key, it's not funny if u lost it. cuz i lost mine once and cost me 120 dollars :shock:

Flying_NEB
2GN Member

Post by Flying_NEB » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:35 pm

I understand the difference. I have the sentry key, but I only have one and that's all that I currently have. this car is 7 years old with 135K. It's entirely possible the previous owner lost everything else. So, my question is how do I find out if it had keyless entry. I might have just misunderstood what "fob" was but I thought it was the black portion with the "unlock" "lock" "trunk" and "panic" buttons.

So, how do I find out if I have keyless entry, and is there a cheaper way to get a second key?

Craz1000
2GN Member

Post by Craz1000 » Wed May 02, 2007 5:53 pm

to my understanding all 00+ neons had the keyless module installed if you have power doorlocks because the doorlocks have to run though the module to get multiplexed. the module is located under the dash heres a pic, basically if you have the module you can get the remotes and boom you have keyless.... however they have to be programed to the RKE module

Heres the customer programming prociedure:
CUSTOMER PROGRAMMING
For a customer to be able to program RKE transmitters
themselves, at least one RKE transmitter
must be programmed already. This procedure is to
add additional transmitters. If all transmitters are
lost, the DRB IIIt scan tool must be used to program
the new transmitters.
(1) Insert the key into the ignition switch, and
turn the ignition switch to the RUN position without
starting the vehicle (allow chimes to stop).
(2) Using the RKE transmitter programmed to the
RKE module, press and continuously hold down the
UNLOCK button for 4-10 seconds.
(3) Within the 4-10 second time range, continue to
hold the UNLOCK button and press the PANIC button.
Both buttons may then be released. Upon the
PANIC button being depressed, the message for customer
programming mode will be transmitted to the
RKE module.
(4) A chime will be heard to verify that the customer
programming mode has been entered (allow 3
seconds to hear chimes).
(5) Press and release any button on each transmitter
that is to be programmed to the RKE module,
including any transmitters which were previously
programmed to the RKE module (with a maximum of
four possible). After each transmitter is successfully
programmed, a chime will be heard to verify that
successful programming of the transmitter has
occurred.
(6) After thirty seconds, or upon the ignition
switch being turned OFF, the RKE module will exit
programming mode.

Flying_NEB
2GN Member

Post by Flying_NEB » Wed May 02, 2007 8:37 pm

thanks for the info. it sounds like to get another key, I have to go to the dealership. ouch.
2004 Black SRT - debadged, no mods

nerox
2011 Silver Contributor

Post by nerox » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:19 pm

does this mean that you cant take a used SKIM key and program it to your car, it has to be a new one?

also on my door there is a sticker with a 4 digit key code ... what is this for?
Official "I'm gonna drive my Neon until it dies" Club Member UK#1

occasional demons
Junior Admin

Post by occasional demons » Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:18 pm

4 digit code might be the key cut code.

Anyone who has access could cut a key for the car with that code.
Bill
Olha Koba, a psychologist in Kyiv, said that “anger and hate in this situation is a normal reaction and important to validate.” But it is important to channel it into something useful, she said, such as making incendiary bombs out of empty bottles.
2000 Neon MTX swap with '02 R/T PCM
1999 neon coupe 2.4 swap
2021 Forester

Return to “HT Miscellaneous”