How-To: Installing A Satelite Radio MECP style

Craz1000
2GN Member

How-To: Installing A Satelite Radio MECP style

Post by Craz1000 » Sun May 06, 2007 1:18 pm

ok in the audio forum someone got an error that is usually due to breaking the antenna wires core, so heres a howto

Installing the Antenna:

ok if you have sirius your only option for antenna placement is at '1' if you have xm you can use '1' or '2'... ONLY use 2 if the windshield dose not have a steep angle on it otherwise you might as well put it under the seat. run the wire under the rubber seal toward the drivers side and down the windsheild. (red line)

NOTE: '2' is inside the car up agenst the windshield

this is the path i usually take at work, the red section should be the only part of the wire thats visible

this is the tough part and this is where everyone breaks thier wire, if you have xm you dont have to worry as much, thier cores are alot more forgiving as far as being able to bend it. the green line is where the seal slides into. The red '1' is where your antenna wire should be and the red 2 is where it should end up before you put the seal back on, this prevents putting such a massive bend in the wire, plus you have to get down there anyway to continue the run.

after that is gravy just run it to where you placed you sat radio.

Hardwireing for power:

score the smeg out of the 2 contacts and solder a wire to the ends. the reason why you dont just cut off the plug and wire it is because sat radios now use 5 or 6 volts as a power source and the plug reduces the 12v input to the proper voltage, if you cut it and wire it directly to a 12v source.... the radio starts smoking.

if you baught an internal unit like i did (this is the older pioneer unit SIR-PNR1) yellow is constant 12v not switched, black is ground. i usually place these behind the actual cars radio, mine is under the seat because my avic-n2 brain is under the other seat and i thaught itll be nice to have them each under a seat

Demonik
2GN Member

Post by Demonik » Sun May 06, 2007 2:29 pm

i got xm and i installed the antenna on the magnetic part of the rearview mirror and then ran the cord around the top of the windshield, around the side, behind the dash, around the glove box, and into the hvac....works perfect for me! i get a strong signal all the time, so another place to put it!

MoparNeonMan
2GN Member

Post by MoparNeonMan » Sat May 26, 2007 5:41 pm

Ive got my XM boxes in the glove box and the antenna on the rear shelf in the middle of the rear window.
me and my car have a give and take relationship

it gives me shite and i take it

Return to “HT Miscellaneous”