How To: Program a new Sentry Key to your car

NiteHawk
2GN Member

How To: Program a new Sentry Key to your car

Post by NiteHawk » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:19 am

First, you have to have two keys that are already programmed to the car...

Second...this only works on US cars, dont know about Canada cars...

“CUSTOMER LEARN” MODE

This feature is only available on domestic vehicles or those which have a U.S. country code designator. This procedure requires access to at least two valid Sentry Keys. If two valid Sentry Keys are not available, Sentry Key programming will require the use of a DRB III scan tool.

The steps required to program Sentry Keys with two valid Sentry Keys follows:
(1) Obtain the blank Sentry Key(s) that need to be programmed. Cut the keys to match the ignition lock cylinder mechanical key codes.
(2) Insert one of the two valid Sentry Keys into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
(3) After the ignition switch has been in the ON position for longer than three seconds, but no more than fifteen seconds, cycle the ignition switch back to the OFF position. Replace the first valid Sentry Key in the ignition lock cylinder with the second valid Sentry Key and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position. The second valid Sentry Key must be inserted, and the ignition key to the ON position, within 15 seconds of removing the first valid Sentry key.
(4) About ten seconds after the completion of Step 3, the indicator light will start to flash and a single audible chime tone will sound to indicate that the system has entered the "Customer Learn" programming mode.
(5) Within sixty seconds of entering the "Customer Learn" programming mode, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position, replace the valid Sentry Key with a blank Sentry Key transponder, and turn the ignition switch back to the ON position.
(6) About ten seconds after the completion of Step 5, a single audible chime tone will sound and the indicator light will stop flashing and stay on solid for three seconds and then turn off to indicate that the blank Sentry Key has been successfully programmed.

The SKIS will immediately exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode and the vehicle may be started using the newly programmed Sentry Key.
These steps must be completed in their entirety for each additional Sentry Key to be programmed. If any of the above steps are not completed in the given sequence, or within the allotted time, the SKIS will exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode and the programming will be unsuccessful. The SKIS will also automatically exit the "Customer Learn" programming mode if:
- It sees a non-blank Sentry Key when it should see a blank.
- If it has already programmed eight ( 8 ) valid Sentry Keys.
- If the ignition switch is turned to the OFF position for more than about fifty (50) seconds.

NOTE: If you attempt to start the vehicle while in “Customer Learn” mode (LED flashing), the vehicle will behave as though an invalid key is being used (i.e. the engine will stall after two (2) seconds of running). No faults will be logged.

NOTE: Once a Sentry Key has been programmed to a particular vehicle, it cannot be used on any other vehicle.
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

Fuel systems turbo kits and components, tuning, performance parts. Contact us for all of your performance needs.

Danteneon
Former Moderator

Post by Danteneon » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:37 pm

Good info to have :thumbup:

Just so folks know...the procedure is outlined in the owners manual as well.
If I could just figure out how to meld the Outback and the Neon into one car...

BlackRoseRacing
2009 Platinum Contributor

Post by BlackRoseRacing » Wed Aug 13, 2008 5:08 am

http://forum.2gn.org/viewtopic.php?t=19757
Posted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 5:26 am
:lol:

biggrobb1995
2GN Member

Post by biggrobb1995 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:58 am

Nice write up. Thanks.
I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk!
"I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6."
I'm goin to drive my neon til it dies member #81
Some see angels, I've held one.

Swordfish2Cowboy
2009 Silver Contributor

Post by Swordfish2Cowboy » Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Isn't this information already covered in the manual that comes with the car?
ImageImage
:mopar: :runaway:

Andpto
2GN Member

Post by Andpto » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:29 pm

edit; Delete my question....

:ban: :ban:

found the answer in the orignal post.......
-Andres
2000 Plymouth Neon SOLD
2005 Dodge Neon SRT-4

TheRandom1
2GN Veteran

Post by TheRandom1 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:28 pm

I wonder if I could somehow use my remote start for this since my 2nd key is hidden in a box somewhere behind my dash.
Danteneon wrote:You doing this swap with your tech level is like asking a squirrel to land a 747.

ejclide
2GN Member

Post by ejclide » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:00 am

you'd have to have a cut key with no transponder and then put your bypass module right next to the lock cylinder for that to work (in theory this works anyway, i think, maybe...), of course, I'm also thinking of keyless bypass. As you'd be removing your bypass, you'd be better off just pulling the key out of your bypass. I have the xpresskit xk531, so no key :D
-Eric
"I'm Going to Drive My Neon till it Dies" Promise Breaker
occasional demons wrote:"Official Support Vehicle" Just sayin'

inthewerks
2GN Member

Post by inthewerks » Sun May 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Quick questions. Why do you need 2 programmed keys to do this? Cant you just use the same original key twice? What would be the problem with that?
Wheel gap? Never heard of it.

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Sun May 15, 2011 8:15 pm

if you try to use the same key twice, it will exit learning mode...you have to have 2 keys that are already programmed.....
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

Fuel systems turbo kits and components, tuning, performance parts. Contact us for all of your performance needs.

03MaineSXT
2GN Member

Post by 03MaineSXT » Sun May 15, 2011 8:19 pm

what if i curently only have one key and i would like to have two more?

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Sun May 15, 2011 8:28 pm

you would have to get the dealer to program at least 1 key for you....at which point you may as well have them do both since you're already there...

unless you know someone with a DRBIII...
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

03MaineSXT
2GN Member

Post by 03MaineSXT » Sun May 15, 2011 8:38 pm

i might my girls stepfather works for a dodge,chrysler,jeep repair shop that used to be a dealership and he told me they could but i have ran into a couple issues with being on different sides towards repairs so i naturally kinda wrote him off with his comment towards programming a key. he is a very nice guy but more of a gopher than anything. but if i were to get the keys programmed could i buy my own or should i buy them from the place to have them programmed?

NiteHawk
2GN Member

Post by NiteHawk » Sun May 15, 2011 9:00 pm

either or...most dealers wont sell you blanks though without cutting them...
Matt Cresto
Fueled By Matt
Fueling Your Passion

blueneo03
2GN Member

Post by blueneo03 » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:32 pm

mine will not go into the customer learn mode... i have two keys but one is one of the ones that looks like it was programmed from walmart or something as it is not a dodge key.. would this affect my ability to program the key by myself?

2003 neon se crashed
1998 neon highline Sold
2005 neon sxtSold
2017 Volkswagen CC Rline Exec. 2.0t

"Sorry you are so scared of a possible mechanical problem that you will drive an ugly transportation appliance. I'll keep living a colorful life." -some guy about a camry

Return to “HT Miscellaneous”